PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 6 randomly boots into text-mode or GUI login

Nathan Bates
December 10th 06, 12:46 AM
After installing Nvidia's proprietrary driver,
booting Fedora 6 now hits and stays at the text-mode screen (console
1).
gdm does start in console 7 (and beeps for whatever reason).
Every once in a while, Fedora correctly switches to gdm.
This is a weird timing problem interacting between X, initscripts, and
Nvidia's driver (??).

Please email if there's a fix.

Dances With Crows
December 10th 06, 01:12 AM
[ Duplicate aol.redhat removed ]
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
On 9 Dec 2006 15:46:11 -0800, Nathan Bates staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
> After installing Nvidia's proprietary driver, booting Fedora 6 now
> stays at the text-mode screen (console 1). gdm starts in console 7
> (and beeps for whatever reason). Every once in a while, Fedora
> correctly switches to gdm. [Is this] a weird timing problem between
> X, init scripts, and Nvidia's driver?

Impossible to tell from the info you've provided. Is there anything odd
in the output from dmesg? Is there anything odd in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
What's the output of "uname -a"? Which version of the evil binary-only
nvidia module are you using? If you don't know that, do this:

mallory:~$ dmesg | grep NVRM
NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86_64 Kernel Module 1.0-8776

....so I'm using 8776 here (latest version marked stable in Gentoo).
Different version#s have different problems, and it may be that an
earlier (or later) version of the modules doesn't display the problems
you're seeing.

> Please email if there's a fix.

No, please post to Usenet if you have additional info. Nathan, usually
conversations that start on Usenet should remain there (unless they get
seriously off-topic) so that more people can talk about whatever the
topic is. And asking for e-mailed replies has been considered gauche
for > 10 years. HTH anyway,

--
Observe the haggis carefully for at least one minute. If you see any
movement, take out your revolver and shoot the haggis until it stops