PDA

View Full Version : Dual-display on 7600GT, setting correct aspect ratios for video output to TV?

Andre Willey
December 7th 06, 11:05 PM
Well I finally decided to bite the bullet and get myself an XFX 7600GT
(AGP) card, for eventual dual-DVI output when I get my new Hi-Def LCD TV,
but also for plain S-video output to my standard 4:3 PAL TV for now.

I do have one question so far though: As I said, I've currently got the
card set up to use the S-video port as my secondary output to my TV set.
4:3 video material plays fairly well (using full screen video mode) on it
at 720x576, but when I play 16:9 material via any of my software players
(WMP11, ZoomPlayer, DivX player, NeroVision, etc) the card does not
adjust for the ratio correctly and simply squashes the whole 16:9 image
into into the 720x576 frame - instead of letterboxing it appropriately
for the correct ratio - so everything looks tall and thin.

My old ATI 9800 card worked fine on the same setup, with either 4:3 or
16:9 video material playing on the TV at an appropriate ratio with the
same players - ZoomPlayer's "Ratio" settting even allowed me to fine-tune
the size exactly as I wanted.

So I'm guessing it must be something in the NVIDIA drivers that I have
not set correctly - but try as I might I cannot find it! Could anyone let
me know what setting I need to adjust to make all videos dispplay at
their correct ratios via the S-video connector on a 4:3 TV set?

Many thanks for your help,

Andre
--
Andre Willey

Address edited to avoid spam. Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS
from my quoted email address to contact me directly. Thanks!
Visit http://www.cix.co.uk/~neverland/dlp/ for the Disneyland-Paris FAQ
List.

deimos
December 8th 06, 02:45 AM
Andre Willey wrote:
> Well I finally decided to bite the bullet and get myself an XFX 7600GT
> (AGP) card, for eventual dual-DVI output when I get my new Hi-Def LCD TV,
> but also for plain S-video output to my standard 4:3 PAL TV for now.
>
> I do have one question so far though: As I said, I've currently got the
> card set up to use the S-video port as my secondary output to my TV set.
> 4:3 video material plays fairly well (using full screen video mode) on it
> at 720x576, but when I play 16:9 material via any of my software players
> (WMP11, ZoomPlayer, DivX player, NeroVision, etc) the card does not
> adjust for the ratio correctly and simply squashes the whole 16:9 image
> into into the 720x576 frame - instead of letterboxing it appropriately
> for the correct ratio - so everything looks tall and thin.
>
> My old ATI 9800 card worked fine on the same setup, with either 4:3 or
> 16:9 video material playing on the TV at an appropriate ratio with the
> same players - ZoomPlayer's "Ratio" settting even allowed me to fine-tune
> the size exactly as I wanted.
>
> So I'm guessing it must be something in the NVIDIA drivers that I have
> not set correctly - but try as I might I cannot find it! Could anyone let
> me know what setting I need to adjust to make all videos dispplay at
> their correct ratios via the S-video connector on a 4:3 TV set?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Andre

NVidia's overlay doesn't affect aspect ratio, it only maps pixels.
Square pixels. Since you're playing aspect ratio corrected content on a
non-square pixel display (TV), it might look distorted depending on the
screen size and shape and overscan. For whatever content you can use, I
recommend FFDshow as it has extensive aspect correction options and you
can force any conceivable ratio.

Andre Willey
December 9th 06, 03:25 PM
deimos > wrote in
:

> Andre Willey wrote:
>> I do have one question so far though: As I said, I've currently got
>> the card set up to use the S-video port as my secondary output to my
>> TV set. 4:3 video material plays fairly well (using full screen video
>> mode) on it at 720x576, but when I play 16:9 material via any of my
>> software players (WMP11, ZoomPlayer, DivX player, NeroVision, etc)
>> the card does not adjust for the ratio correctly and simply squashes
>> the whole 16:9 image into into the 720x576 frame - instead of
>> letterboxing it appropriately for the correct ratio - so everything
>> looks tall and thin.
>>
>> My old ATI 9800 card worked fine on the same setup, with either 4:3
>> or 16:9 video material playing on the TV at an appropriate ratio with
>> the same players - ZoomPlayer's "Ratio" settting even allowed me to
>> fine-tune the size exactly as I wanted.
>
> NVidia's overlay doesn't affect aspect ratio, it only maps pixels.
> Square pixels. Since you're playing aspect ratio corrected content on
> a non-square pixel display (TV), it might look distorted depending on
> the screen size and shape and overscan. For whatever content you can
> use, I recommend FFDshow as it has extensive aspect correction options
> and you can force any conceivable ratio.

I do use FFDshow, but I still get this crazy situation where every ratio
of video file plays expanded fully to fill the visible screen area. That
mode can't be right for ANY video files at all, as neither 4:3 nor 16:9
TVs fed from a standard PAL source of 720x576 use square pixels anyway!

Surely no one can think this is the way video should be output? Certainly
the ATI people don't, as my old ATI card would adjust for each different
video ratio. Do you know if NVIDIA are doing anything about this fault?
Have I made a mistake in buying this card I wonder?

Zoomplayer does have a nice ratio adjust feature, but that only seems to
control the ratio of playback within its own window (or if the player is
running full-screen on the PC monitor), but the TV output still stays
mapped to the full image area whatever ratio is selected.

Andre
--
Andre Willey

Address edited to avoid spam. Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS
from my quoted email address to contact me directly. Thanks!
Visit http://www.cix.co.uk/~neverland/dlp/ for the Disneyland-Paris FAQ
List.

deimos
December 9th 06, 11:09 PM
Andre Willey wrote:
> deimos > wrote in
> :
>
>> Andre Willey wrote:
>>> I do have one question so far though: As I said, I've currently got
>>> the card set up to use the S-video port as my secondary output to my
>>> TV set. 4:3 video material plays fairly well (using full screen video
>>> mode) on it at 720x576, but when I play 16:9 material via any of my
>>> software players (WMP11, ZoomPlayer, DivX player, NeroVision, etc)
>>> the card does not adjust for the ratio correctly and simply squashes
>>> the whole 16:9 image into into the 720x576 frame - instead of
>>> letterboxing it appropriately for the correct ratio - so everything
>>> looks tall and thin.
>>>
>>> My old ATI 9800 card worked fine on the same setup, with either 4:3
>>> or 16:9 video material playing on the TV at an appropriate ratio with
>>> the same players - ZoomPlayer's "Ratio" settting even allowed me to
>>> fine-tune the size exactly as I wanted.
>> NVidia's overlay doesn't affect aspect ratio, it only maps pixels.
>> Square pixels. Since you're playing aspect ratio corrected content on
>> a non-square pixel display (TV), it might look distorted depending on
>> the screen size and shape and overscan. For whatever content you can
>> use, I recommend FFDshow as it has extensive aspect correction options
>> and you can force any conceivable ratio.
>
> I do use FFDshow, but I still get this crazy situation where every ratio
> of video file plays expanded fully to fill the visible screen area. That
> mode can't be right for ANY video files at all, as neither 4:3 nor 16:9
> TVs fed from a standard PAL source of 720x576 use square pixels anyway!
>
> Surely no one can think this is the way video should be output? Certainly
> the ATI people don't, as my old ATI card would adjust for each different
> video ratio. Do you know if NVIDIA are doing anything about this fault?
> Have I made a mistake in buying this card I wonder?
>
> Zoomplayer does have a nice ratio adjust feature, but that only seems to
> control the ratio of playback within its own window (or if the player is
> running full-screen on the PC monitor), but the TV output still stays
> mapped to the full image area whatever ratio is selected.
>
> Andre

Try a media player with VMR9 support and see if it has the same output,
or try disabling overlay acceleration by dropping your display hardware
acceleration a notch or two. This will render everything using GDI
(slowly). But maybe diagnose an odd incompatibility.

deimos
December 9th 06, 11:12 PM
Andre Willey wrote:
> deimos > wrote in
> :
>
>> Andre Willey wrote:
>>> I do have one question so far though: As I said, I've currently got
>>> the card set up to use the S-video port as my secondary output to my
>>> TV set. 4:3 video material plays fairly well (using full screen video
>>> mode) on it at 720x576, but when I play 16:9 material via any of my
>>> software players (WMP11, ZoomPlayer, DivX player, NeroVision, etc)
>>> the card does not adjust for the ratio correctly and simply squashes
>>> the whole 16:9 image into into the 720x576 frame - instead of
>>> letterboxing it appropriately for the correct ratio - so everything
>>> looks tall and thin.
>>>
>>> My old ATI 9800 card worked fine on the same setup, with either 4:3
>>> or 16:9 video material playing on the TV at an appropriate ratio with
>>> the same players - ZoomPlayer's "Ratio" settting even allowed me to
>>> fine-tune the size exactly as I wanted.
>> NVidia's overlay doesn't affect aspect ratio, it only maps pixels.
>> Square pixels. Since you're playing aspect ratio corrected content on
>> a non-square pixel display (TV), it might look distorted depending on
>> the screen size and shape and overscan. For whatever content you can
>> use, I recommend FFDshow as it has extensive aspect correction options
>> and you can force any conceivable ratio.
>
> I do use FFDshow, but I still get this crazy situation where every ratio
> of video file plays expanded fully to fill the visible screen area. That
> mode can't be right for ANY video files at all, as neither 4:3 nor 16:9
> TVs fed from a standard PAL source of 720x576 use square pixels anyway!
>
> Surely no one can think this is the way video should be output? Certainly
> the ATI people don't, as my old ATI card would adjust for each different
> video ratio. Do you know if NVIDIA are doing anything about this fault?
> Have I made a mistake in buying this card I wonder?
>
> Zoomplayer does have a nice ratio adjust feature, but that only seems to
> control the ratio of playback within its own window (or if the player is
> running full-screen on the PC monitor), but the TV output still stays
> mapped to the full image area whatever ratio is selected.
>
> Andre

I forgot to mention that TV-output is going to depend entirely on the
vendors encoder chip implementation, not so much on the graphics driver.
Board manufacturers can choose Phillips or Conexant chips in order to
meet reference specs.

Sharanga Dayananda
December 14th 06, 09:26 PM
> I forgot to mention that TV-output is going to depend entirely on the
> vendors encoder chip implementation, not so much on the graphics driver.
> Board manufacturers can choose Phillips or Conexant chips in order to meet
> reference specs.

The GF 4 MX, GF FX, GF6, GF7 have an internal tv encoder built into the
graphics core.

GF8 once again has a separate TV encoder chip ( I/O chip ).

Sharanga Dayananda
December 14th 06, 09:27 PM
Video in requires a separate chip however.

"Sharanga Dayananda" > wrote in message

>> I forgot to mention that TV-output is going to depend entirely on the
>> vendors encoder chip implementation, not so much on the graphics driver.
>> Board manufacturers can choose Phillips or Conexant chips in order to
>> meet reference specs.
>
> The GF 4 MX, GF FX, GF6, GF7 have an internal tv encoder built into the
> graphics core.
>
> GF8 once again has a separate TV encoder chip ( I/O chip ).

Derrick Hopkins
January 8th 07, 05:01 PM
You guys are missing the point of the original question. The problem
isnt about chip types or encoders.

If you have 2 monitors set up with an nvidia card, and you play a video
on one monitor, a fullscreen version of the video can be shown on the
2nd monitor. It does this for every player, WMP, WinAmp, Quicktime, etc
etc.

The problem is that if you play a video that has an aspect ratio other
than 4:3, the full screen version of the display on the 2nd monitor is
squeezed into 4:3. So the image is distended. ATI cards handle this
well, by letterboxing the video to keep the correct aspect ratio.

There may be a setting on the nvidia display drivers that would fix
this, but like the original poster, I cant find it. It's definiately a
software issue, and not hardware.