PDA

View Full Version : COMPAQ PRESARIO SR1803WM

wolfman1966
November 25th 06, 02:12 PM
Hopefully someone can help me. I bought this computer from Wal-Mart
about 6 months back and have had nothing but problems.

Compaq Presario Model SR1803WM
3.2ghz Celeron Processor
512mb Ram
60Gb Hard drive
Cd burner/CdRom
No floppy
No Windows CD
Windows XP included

the computer will work fine for about a week, then windows will begin
to freeze up. and the only way to unfreeze is to power down, or
sometimes unplug the computer. Eventually after having to do this a
few times, windows will quit loading up, and it will go to a screen
giving you the option to Start Windows normally, Start windows with C
prompt, Start windows from last known good configuration, and a couple
of other things like that, but no matter which one I choose, windows
won't load.
I usually then have to re-install windows, with the windows recovery
thats comes built in to the computer (since there is no windows
disc)...When I run PC Doctor to check the hardware, it will run the
hard drive test, then come up with

Short Self Test Error:HD521-2W,

which I cant find out anything about

It will recommend NOT doing a recovery, but I do one anyway (always a
destructive recover, thus losing everything on the computer, because
a normal repair wont work)

Usually when i do the recovery, everything will start working fine
again for about a week then everything will start again.
This last time, i had to do a recovery, it took several tries before
i could get the recovery to work.
I think the Hard Drive is going bad, but don't know how to check it,
and the computer is only 6 months old anyway.

any help is greatly appreciatied.thank you

Glenn B.
December 6th 06, 03:25 PM
You need to call support and tell them you're sending it in AND you want a
new recovery CD.

I have an SR1850NX and learned that the recovery on the computer had a virus
imbedded, so when I made a recovery CD from the computer, the virus came
with it. They had to send me an updated Recovery Media CD sans the virus. I
come across lock-ups ever so often, but I think it might be due to the Media
Center..but I can't prove it.

Glenn