PDA

View Full Version : Presario SR1011NX Memory Recognition problem

NapalmHeart
November 12th 06, 03:57 PM
My computer is only recognizing 1 of 2 512MB Kingston. I have updated the
BIOS as suggested by HP, but no difference. Any ideas how I can get the
other half to work?

Thanks,

Ken

HH
November 13th 06, 05:51 AM
Try unseating and reseating the DIMMs, Also, try them one at a time to try
and find out which one is not being recognized. If one will not work in
either slot it is bad and should be replaced.

HH

"NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> My computer is only recognizing 1 of 2 512MB Kingston. I have updated the
> BIOS as suggested by HP, but no difference. Any ideas how I can get the
> other half to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

NapalmHeart
November 13th 06, 07:11 AM
Already tried, no difference.

Thanks for the reply.

Ken

"HH" > wrote in message
> Try unseating and reseating the DIMMs, Also, try them one at a time to try
> and find out which one is not being recognized. If one will not work in
> either slot it is bad and should be replaced.
>
> HH
>
> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
>> My computer is only recognizing 1 of 2 512MB Kingston. I have updated
>> the BIOS as suggested by HP, but no difference. Any ideas how I can get
>> the other half to work?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken

HH
November 13th 06, 02:51 PM
Result? Bad DIMM or bad slot? If the former, Kingston should replace the
DIMM. If the latter, you will be limited to 512MB on that board.

HH

"NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> Already tried, no difference.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Ken
>
> "HH" > wrote in message
>> Try unseating and reseating the DIMMs, Also, try them one at a time to
>> try and find out which one is not being recognized. If one will not work
>> in either slot it is bad and should be replaced.
>>
>> HH
>>
>> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
>>> My computer is only recognizing 1 of 2 512MB Kingston. I have updated
>>> the BIOS as suggested by HP, but no difference. Any ideas how I can get
>>> the other half to work?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ken

NapalmHeart
November 13th 06, 05:48 PM
DIMMs are OK. Not sure about the slot. The HP website had something on it
about resetting the CMOS by moving a jumper wire. The instructions and
illustrations didn't inspire confidence. It would be nice to be able to use
the $80 DIMM!

Ken

"HH" > wrote in message
> Result? Bad DIMM or bad slot? If the former, Kingston should replace the
> DIMM. If the latter, you will be limited to 512MB on that board.
>
> HH
>
> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
>> Already tried, no difference.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> "HH" > wrote in message
>>> Try unseating and reseating the DIMMs, Also, try them one at a time to
>>> try and find out which one is not being recognized. If one will not work
>>> in either slot it is bad and should be replaced.
>>>
>>> HH

DawgFan1785
November 14th 06, 05:13 AM
> NapalmHeartwrote:
DIMMs are OK. Not sure about the slot. The HP website had something
on it
> about resetting the CMOS by moving a jumper wire. The instructions
and
> illustrations didn't inspire confidence. It would be nice to be
able to use
> the $80 DIMM!
>
> Ken
>
> "HH" > wrote in message
> Result? Bad DIMM or bad slot? If the former, Kingston should replace
the
> DIMM. If the latter, you will be limited to 512MB on that board.
>
> HH
>
> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> Already tried, no difference.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Ken
>
> "HH" > wrote in message
> Try unseating and reseating the DIMMs, Also, try them one at a time
> try and find out which one is not being recognized. If one will not
work
> in either slot it is bad and should be replaced.
>
> HH
>
> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> My computer is only recognizing 1 of 2 512MB Kingston. I have
updated
> the BIOS as suggested by HP, but no difference. Any ideas how I
can
> get the other half to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken
>

> [/quote:e4150ab931]

Jumper should be easy to find. Looks like the Jumber on harddrives if
your familliar

NapalmHeart
November 20th 06, 10:31 PM
"NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> My computer is only recognizing 1 of 2 512MB Kingston. I have updated the
> BIOS as suggested by HP, but no difference. Any ideas how I can get the
> other half to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Interesting ting happened. I put the 256MB module that came with the
computer and both this module and a 512MB Kingston are recognized. I think
I'm going to settle for this and see if I can return the other 512.

thanks,

Ken