PDA

View Full Version : Memory help Compaq e500

Cal2006
November 9th 06, 02:04 AM
Looking for help - my Compaq armada e500 currently has 256MB memory but
I want to upgrade to 512MB. How do I install? Advice on how to do this
would be appreciated!

--
Cal2006

Earl F. Parrish
November 9th 06, 10:37 PM
"Cal2006" > wrote in message

> Looking for help - my Compaq armada e500 currently has 256MB memory but
> I want to upgrade to 512MB. How do I install? Advice on how to do this
> would be appreciated!
>

> --
> Cal2006

Your computer has two banks in which one can install memory. The 256 MB can
be obtained two ways. Your computer could have two 128 MB chips or one 256
MB chip. If it has the former, you have to replace each 128 MB chip with a
256 MB chips. If it is the latter, you add another 256 MB chip to the
vacant slot.

The memory sockets are beneath the keyboard. Check this manual for
instructions:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_170045-002/TPM_170045-002.pdf

--
Earl F. Parrish

Cal2006
November 11th 06, 12:47 AM
Earl F. Parrish Wrote:
> " Cal2006
>
> Your computer has two banks in which one can install memory. The 256
> MB can
> be obtained two ways. Your computer could have two 128 MB chips or one
> 256
> MB chip. If it has the former, you have to replace each 128 MB chip
> with a
> 256 MB chips. If it is the latter, you add another 256 MB chip to the
>
> vacant slot.
>
> The memory sockets are beneath the keyboard. Check this manual for
> instructions:
> http://tinyurl.com/7xrk8
>

> --
> Earl F. Parrish[/i][/color]

Excellent, thanks for that info! Much appreciated. We have 2 x 128mb
chips at the mo, so understand that we would have to replace with 2x256
chips. We do have a single 512mb chip which we purchased, I take this
wouldn't be of use for our laptop? cheers!

--
Cal2006

Earl F. Parrish
November 11th 06, 06:52 AM
"Cal2006" > wrote in message

> Earl F. Parrish Wrote:
>> " Cal2006
>>
>> Your computer has two banks in which one can install memory. The 256
>> MB can
>> be obtained two ways. Your computer could have two 128 MB chips or one
>> 256
>> MB chip. If it has the former, you have to replace each 128 MB chip
>> with a
>> 256 MB chips. If it is the latter, you add another 256 MB chip to the
>>
>> vacant slot.
>>
>> The memory sockets are beneath the keyboard. Check this manual for
>> instructions:
>> http://tinyurl.com/7xrk8
>>

>> --
>> Earl F. Parrish
>

> Excellent, thanks for that info! Much appreciated. We have 2 x 128mb
> chips at the mo, so understand that we would have to replace with 2x256
> chips. We do have a single 512mb chip which we purchased, I take this
> wouldn't be of use for our laptop? cheers!
>

> --
> Cal2006[/i][/color]

Try it and see if it works. The manual does not say anything about that
size. It could be that size did not exist when the manual was published.
If the cache is too small, a large memory chip might run slower than two
smaller ones.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Ossie
November 13th 06, 12:08 AM
Be sure that the memory you purchase is compatible with your computer.
If possible, install it in the shop before purchasing, and ensure that
your computer boots to the OS properly. If that is not possible, only
buy memory that is specifically certified compatible with your
computer. Often, even though the BIOS will 'see' the new memory OK, it
will not boot your OS due to incompatibility problems.