PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.

November 5th 06, 02:04 PM
My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
CD. I don't have the restore CD.

The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

philo
November 5th 06, 03:12 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> CD. I don't have the restore CD.

<snip>

you need to go into the bios and see if you can re-detect the harddrive and
cdrom...

it appears that they both have not been detected.

If one device is detected only...
it's indicative of the other having failed...

otoh: if neither is detected...it may be a controller problem

the only good news is that if the controller failed...
your data on the HD is still there!

Gary Chanson
November 5th 06, 09:26 PM
Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in the
drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk might
be damaged.

You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

"philo" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> > CD. I don't have the restore CD.
>

> <snip>
>
> you need to go into the bios and see if you can re-detect the harddrive
and
> cdrom...
>
> it appears that they both have not been detected.
>
> If one device is detected only...
> it's indicative of the other having failed...
>
> otoh: if neither is detected...it may be a controller problem
>

> the only good news is that if the controller failed...
> your data on the HD is still there!

- Bobb -
November 5th 06, 09:46 PM
"Gary Chanson" > wrote in message
> Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
> the
> drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
> might
> be damaged.
>
> You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
>
> --
>
> - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> - Abolish Public Schools

re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

November 6th 06, 08:22 AM
wrote:
> My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> CD. I don't have the restore CD.
>
> The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
> up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
> win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
> hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
> disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
> prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
dirty.

Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

November 6th 06, 08:55 AM
> > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> > CD. I don't have the restore CD.
> >
> > The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
> > up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
> > win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
> > hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
> > disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
> > prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.
>

> Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
> on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
> damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
> alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
> dirty.
>
> Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

Forgot to mention, the OTHER thing that dies on these is CMOS
batteries, and it forgets settings, like time, and boot order, and all
kinds of fun stuff, once disconnected from main power.

Gary Chanson
November 6th 06, 09:27 AM
"- Bobb -" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Gary Chanson" > wrote in message
> > Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
> > the
> > drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
> > might
> > be damaged.
> >
> > You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
> >
> > --
> >
> > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> > - Abolish Public Schools
> >

> re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
> schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

the contractors.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

November 6th 06, 12:23 PM
wrote:

> Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
> on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
> damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
> alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
> dirty.
>
> Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
then hangs.

I have a startup disk for windows 98 and boot disk for windows 2000 and
both have failed to open into the command prompt. I've have had
windows 2000 hang like this before on a brand new hard drive and it
turns out the solution is to load the startup disk and run chkdsk. How
do I run chkdsk?

Thanks

John John
November 6th 06, 01:24 PM
Gary Chanson wrote:
> "- Bobb -" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>"Gary Chanson" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
>>>the
>>>drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
>>>might
>>>be damaged.
>>>
>>> You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
>>>- Abolish Public Schools
>>>

>>re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
>>schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.
>

> Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

> the contractors.
>
> --
>
> - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> - Abolish Public Schools

Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

John

- Bobb -
November 6th 06, 02:22 PM
retitled subject - it won't boot anything - right ?

> wrote in message
<snipped>

> The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it.
> It
> has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
> then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
> then hangs.

1. Any data on there you care about ? If so get an adapter and move the
drive to desktop PC.
2. Win 95 !! - what model laptop ? what specs ?
3. Is this a replacement disk drive ? My reason for asking is BIOS may
not recognize a drive over 2gb and if you just popped in a 10gb drive,
the PC may not see it.
4. did you format hdd ? or upgrade OS ?
5. So was Win2000 fully installed successfully?
a. Using MSFT CD or Compaq ?
b. You found all the drivers ?
c. and it was working for a few days ?
6. if you boot a win98 floppy disk, can you then "get to C" ?
A:\ " dir c: "
or
A:\ " CD C: "

Bob I
November 6th 06, 02:55 PM
Failing harddrives don't "revive". If you have physical failure, and you
are attempting to install to it, you are wasting your time. They don't
heal.

>>Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
>>on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
>>damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
>>alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
>>dirty.
>>
>>Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.
>

> The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
> has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
> then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
> then hangs.
>
> I have a startup disk for windows 98 and boot disk for windows 2000 and
> both have failed to open into the command prompt. I've have had
> windows 2000 hang like this before on a brand new hard drive and it
> turns out the solution is to load the startup disk and run chkdsk. How
> do I run chkdsk?
>
> Thanks

Ben Myers
November 6th 06, 03:15 PM
Yes. The best one can hope for with a failing/failed hard drive is that it
will spin up and run long enough so that important DATA files can be copied from
it onto a replacement hard drive which has been set up with the right operating
system. As a rule, one forget any possibility of getting copies of installed
software from a failing hard drive, because the software installation puts lots
and lots of entries into the Windows registry and splatters program files and
DLLs all over the hard drive... Ben Myers

wrote:

>> wrote:
>>

>>>Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
>>>on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
>>>damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
>>>alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
>>>dirty.
>>>
>>>Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.
>>

>> The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
>> has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
>> then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
>> then hangs.
>>
>> I have a startup disk for windows 98 and boot disk for windows 2000 and
>> both have failed to open into the command prompt. I've have had
>> windows 2000 hang like this before on a brand new hard drive and it
>> turns out the solution is to load the startup disk and run chkdsk. How
>> do I run chkdsk?
>>
>> Thanks

November 7th 06, 02:14 AM

> > Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
> > on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
> > damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
> > alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
> > dirty.
> >
> > Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.
>
> The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
> has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
> then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
> then hangs.

Looks dead, to me.

Although..... Lots and lots of win95 machines shipped with just 16MB
RAM. This will work (marginally) for win98. It will not work for win2k.
64MB is marginal for win2k. IT could be you're fighting a separate
issue.

Try nuking the drive and reloading win98.

This is a program that will wipe your hard drive, even if it's badly
damaged. But if this doesn't detect your hard drive at all.... you're
looking at replacing the drive. Period. You will not be able to a use a
new drive, because new drives are too large. The replacement should be
under 8gb.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Ian Singer
November 7th 06, 06:29 AM
wrote:

> This is a program that will wipe your hard drive, even if it's badly
> damaged. But if this doesn't detect your hard drive at all.... you're
> looking at replacing the drive. Period. You will not be able to a use a
> new drive, because new drives are too large. The replacement should be
> under 8gb.

New drives work in old systems, just that they won't see it all. My dos
desktop has 20 gig drive in it but DOS is only seeing 2 gig partitions
and will not see anything out past about 7 gig.

Ian Singer

See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

Barry Watzman
November 7th 06, 03:53 PM
That is not always true. Sometimes, the system just won't boot at all,
period, if the drive is too big. It all depends on how the bios is written.

Ian Singer wrote:

> New drives work in old systems, just that they won't see it all. My dos
> desktop has 20 gig drive in it but DOS is only seeing 2 gig partitions
> and will not see anything out past about 7 gig.
>
> Ian Singer

Gary Chanson
November 7th 06, 10:05 PM
"John John" > wrote in message
> Gary Chanson wrote:
> > "- Bobb -" > wrote in message
> > . ..

> >>re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
> >>schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.
> >

> > Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

> > the contractors.
> >
> > --
> >
> > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> > - Abolish Public Schools
>

> Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

Today, probably no one.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

Nicholas D Richards
November 9th 06, 06:54 PM
In article >, Gary Chanson
> writes
>
>"John John" > wrote in message
>> Gary Chanson wrote:
>> > "- Bobb -" > wrote in message
>> > . ..

>> > Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

>> > the contractors.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
>> > - Abolish Public Schools
>>

>> Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?
>
> Today, probably no one.
>
>--
>
>- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
>- Abolish Public Schools

Just out of interest are we talking about British Public Schools, or
American Public Schools. They are very different animals.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"

Gary Chanson
November 9th 06, 08:56 PM
"Nicholas D Richards" > wrote in message
> In article >, Gary Chanson
> > writes

> >> Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?
> >
> > Today, probably no one.
> >
> >--
> >
> >- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> >- Abolish Public Schools
> >

> Just out of interest are we talking about British Public Schools, or
> American Public Schools. They are very different animals.

American.