PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario 5460 upgrades & using QuickRestore disk

Dennman6
October 24th 06, 10:39 PM
Hello-

My brother just gave me a Compaq Presario 5460 in which I cannot log
into Windows. This is a model from 1999, with specs of: AMD 475, 96 MB
RAM, 8 GB Hard Drive. Someone had loaded XP into it, but at any rate
you cannot activate Windows XP-called Microsoft number & they say
Installation Number isn't valid, went online to the HP/Compaq tech
helpline(obviously from another PC) & they tell me what I need to get
is the QuickRestore disc. I haven't called the Compaq parts number he
gave me yet, but what are the viable options to rejuvenate this
antique? I'm told the motherboard will take upgrades of 17 GB Hard
drive(can one that small actually be bought today?) & up to 213 MB RAM.
I'd like this to be used for typing & text, printing of same, basic
internet surfing. Can this 5460 be viably & economically brought up to
speed, or shall it become a paperweight? It came with a very nice NEC
17 monitor(CRT). I have two eMachines set-ups already, & thought this
would make a nice hobby project. Hey, if the 5460 isn't worth bothering
with, I'd be inclined to go to a local computer shop & buy a decent
used tower just to use with the NEC monitor! Thanks for any tips.

Dennis Forkel

HH
October 24th 06, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately, the 5460 originally shipped with windows 98SE and Compaq
ceased support for that Operating System and QuickRestore CDs for Presarios
that shipped with that OS, a few years ago.
You will need to purchase a version of windows yourself and install it.
Compaq supplied drivers for different versions of Windows for the 5460 may
be found here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=93364&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=8&submit.x=5&lang=en&cc=us

The PC is old, and I would not recommend spending much on it. It should do
for simple word processing and web surfing, however.

HH

oups.com...