PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario 1694 BIOS and HHD

edgetreader
October 15th 06, 07:02 PM
Original 6.0GB HD is dying in Compaq Presario 1694 laptop. Need to replace but don't know Max size HD the BIOS will accept. Current BIOS is Pheonix Bios Version 4.0 release 6.0 .
No joy searching Compaq site for HDD limitation info, nor BIOS upgrade.

Can anyone help me find most recent BIOS ?
(or HDD size limit info for v4.0 release 6.0 ?)

TIA

Ben Myers
October 15th 06, 11:58 PM
Maximum hard drive capacity supported by a motherboard BIOS seems to be a
well-kept secret across the whole industry. Very few of the motherboard
manuals and computer owner's state explicitly what the hard drive capacity is.
From the standpoint of HPaq and other name-brand companies, providing this
information is unimportant, which is just plain stupid.

Given the relative age of the Presario 1694, a hard drive up to 8.4GB is a
cinch, and 32GB max is probable. If HP/Compaq does not have a BIOS update for
this model, then there isn't one to be had... Ben Myers

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:02:06 +0100, edgetreader
> wrote:

>Original 6.0GB HD is dying in Compaq Presario 1694 laptop. Need to
>replace but don't know Max size HD the BIOS will accept. Current BIOS
>is Pheonix Bios Version 4.0 release 6.0 .
>No joy searching Compaq site for HDD limitation info, nor BIOS
>upgrade.
>
>Can anyone help me find most recent BIOS ?
>(or HDD size limit info for v4.0 release 6.0 ?)
>
>TIA

HH
October 16th 06, 02:06 AM
Since the 1694 is the top of the 1600 line of notebooks and only has a 6 GB
hard drive, I'd bet there is an 8.4GB drive size limit. I can't say that
with 100% certainty, but would venture that informed guess. Many Presarios
of that vintage had that HD size limit.
No BIOS updates are listed for the 1694. Then again, seldom, if ever, does
Compaq do a BIOS update to provide for larger HDs.

HH

"edgetreader" > wrote in message

> Original 6.0GB HD is dying in Compaq Presario 1694 laptop. Need to
> replace but don't know Max size HD the BIOS will accept. Current BIOS
> is Pheonix Bios Version 4.0 release 6.0 .
> No joy searching Compaq site for HDD limitation info, nor BIOS
> upgrade.
>
> Can anyone help me find most recent BIOS ?
> (or HDD size limit info for v4.0 release 6.0 ?)
>
> TIA
>

> --
> edgetreader

kindabizzy
October 19th 06, 02:55 PM
I have a Presario 1687, which is also a K6-2, but with a clock of
380MHz, and no firewire. I would think it's the same machine with
only minor differences. If anything, mine would prolly have more
limitations than yours, since it's a lesser model, and maybe even
older.

Anyway, recently I stuck in a 20 GB hd, (it came with a 6.5 GB hd) and
successfully installed 2 or 3 different versions of Linux on it, so I
know it will handle at least up to 20 GB. I would guess that you'd
be safe with up to 32 GB, but I haven't tried anything bigger than 20
GB, so take that with a grain of salt.

kindabizzy
October 19th 06, 02:55 PM
Forgot to mention that mine has the same version BIOS - Ver 4.0, Rel
6.0

Ben Myers
October 19th 06, 07:29 PM
If the motherboard BIOS recognized the capacity of your 20GB drive, you're
probably correct in stating that 32GB is the BIOS limit... Ben Myers