PDA

View Full Version : loud fan trouble with HP D330 Tower desktop computer

Tim923
October 7th 06, 12:52 AM
http://www.newgen.ca/content/product.taf?ContentID=134

Often the fan gets loud and annoying. Most of the time it is OK, but
it is very annoying when it happens. I don't see any way to remove
dust from the fan. The fan part appears covered completely in black
plastic. Has anyone had luck cleaning the fan on the D330 Tower or a
similar model? Thanks. -Tim923

XS11E
October 7th 06, 01:18 AM
Tim923 > wrote in
:

> Often the fan gets loud and annoying. Most of the time it is OK, but
> it is very annoying when it happens. I don't see any way to remove
> dust from the fan. The fan part appears covered completely in black
> plastic. Has anyone had luck cleaning the fan on the D330 Tower or a
> similar model?

Is this fan on the front or rear of the case? You should be able to
remove it either way, the plastic cover that holds the fan should
unsnap from the case, if it's on the front of the case you might have
to remove the front panel, if on the rear there may be some screws
holding it.

If you can't remove it, try this:

First, turn off the power and unplug the cord from the powersupply.
Yeah, I know you already knew to do this but I have to say it anyway.

Next, remove the side cover from the computer and carefully clean out
all the accumulated dust. You can use a vacuum cleaner and a brush,
hold the vacuum's nozzle near the computer and carefully brush areas
inside the case where dust accumulates, stay away from components but
get all the areas you can w/o actually disturbing the motherboard,
cards, wiring, etc. this will keep dust from being sucked back into the
fan after you clean it.

To clean the fan after you've removed all the dust you can from inside
the case, just hold the nozzle of the vacuum up against the slots where
the air blows out, you'll get most of it. Then do the same for the
areas where the air intake slots are.

Hope this helps.

Tim923
October 7th 06, 02:16 AM
XS11E wrote:
>Is this fan on the front or rear of the case? You should be able to
>remove it either way, the plastic cover that holds the fan should
>unsnap from the case, if it's on the front of the case you might have
>to remove the front panel, if on the rear there may be some screws
>holding it.

Thanks for the quick response. I won't work on it tonight, but soon.
I'll let you know if there is trouble. The fan is in the back-right
when the computer lies horizontal, or back-top when vertical.

Here are the pics of the fan. The flash was bright.
http://www.geocities.com/tim_schmits/fan1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/tim_schmits/fan2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/tim_schmits/fan3.jpg

XS11E
October 7th 06, 04:48 PM
Tim923 > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
>>Is this fan on the front or rear of the case? You should be able
>>to remove it either way, the plastic cover that holds the fan
>>should unsnap from the case, if it's on the front of the case you
>>might have to remove the front panel, if on the rear there may be
>>some screws holding it.
>
> Thanks for the quick response. I won't work on it tonight, but
> soon. I'll let you know if there is trouble. The fan is in the
> back-right when the computer lies horizontal, or back-top when
> vertical.
>
> Here are the pics of the fan. The flash was bright.
> http://www.geocities.com/tim_schmits/fan1.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/tim_schmits/fan2.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/tim_schmits/fan3.jpg

OK, that appears to be the fan that cools the CPU, if so it is probably
removeable and I think I'd replace it if possible.

Tim923
October 7th 06, 10:52 PM
XS11E wrote:
>OK, that appears to be the fan that cools the CPU, if so it is probably
>removeable and I think I'd replace it if possible.

It is indeed the CPU fan. I had it replaced once already by my
brother-in-law and I've only had the computer since Jan 2005. The
inside of the computer is very clean so I don't know why I'm having
trouble.

But it seems to be doing well since I vacuumed around it.

XS11E
October 7th 06, 10:55 PM
Tim923 > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
>>OK, that appears to be the fan that cools the CPU, if so it is
>>probably removeable and I think I'd replace it if possible.
>
> It is indeed the CPU fan. I had it replaced once already by my
> brother-in-law and I've only had the computer since Jan 2005. The
> inside of the computer is very clean so I don't know why I'm
> having trouble.
>
> But it seems to be doing well since I vacuumed around it.

Good, I hope that fixes it!

Tim923
October 8th 06, 12:42 AM
XS11E wrote:
>Good, I hope that fixes it!

If the inside of a computer stays clean, how long should a CPU fan
last? I don't remember this problem with my other computers.

XS11E
October 8th 06, 05:39 AM
Tim923 > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
>>Good, I hope that fixes it!
>
> If the inside of a computer stays clean, how long should a CPU fan
> last? I don't remember this problem with my other computers.

There's no way to tell. Just plain luck says some will last for years
and others for only weeks. You're dealing with a very inexpensive
component manufactured in quantities of thousands, some will be good, a
few will be bad and a few will be GREAT!

I've only had two fans fail, a power supply fan a couple of years back
and a CPU fan also years ago. I've been plagued with one case fan
that's noisy but if I rap the case it quiets down and stays quiet. I
think maybe the fan is slightly out of balance and it's making
something rattle? It's been making noise every couple of weeks when I
power up and I've been slapping the case when it does for over a year
now and it's still running fine but I keep an eye on it....

Big Crunch
October 11th 06, 10:38 PM
XS11E wrote:
>There's no way to tell. Just plain luck says some will last for years
>and others for only weeks. You're dealing with a very inexpensive
>component manufactured in quantities of thousands, some will be good, a
>few will be bad and a few will be GREAT!

I think the problem is that there's some dust inside the fan causing
the occasional annoying noise, but the fan is up against the side of
the computer and I cannot vacuum on that side.

And I haven't figured out how to remove the fan. If anyone is familiar
with this model and fan, HP Compaq D330 Slim Tower let me know.

There appear to be two metal levers, but nothing happens when I push,
and I don't want to push too hard to break them.

Big Crunch
October 12th 06, 12:19 AM
That annoying sound still comes and goes.