PDA

View Full Version : Old Compaq DeskPro's with blank harddrives

DustWolf
September 29th 06, 12:40 PM
Hello,

We have recieved 2 Companq DeskPro's (64 and 96 MB of RAM and 166 MHz
Pentium) in a donation from a company and of course they have blanked
the harddrives before sending them out, thus the DIAG partitions are
gone and there is no way to configure BIOS.

I would like to install Windows 98 (or ReactOS) on them, however the
disks are not bootable nor big enough to house both the CD and the
installation and the moment I attach a CD-ROM to the system, it refuses
to boot.

Would somebody please help me find a way to recover these computers?

craigm
September 29th 06, 01:38 PM
DustWolf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have recieved 2 Companq DeskPro's (64 and 96 MB of RAM and 166 MHz
> Pentium) in a donation from a company and of course they have blanked
> the harddrives before sending them out, thus the DIAG partitions are
> gone and there is no way to configure BIOS.
>
> I would like to install Windows 98 (or ReactOS) on them, however the
> disks are not bootable nor big enough to house both the CD and the
> installation and the moment I attach a CD-ROM to the system, it refuses
> to boot.
>
> Would somebody please help me find a way to recover these computers?

Win98 Boot floppy with CD support.

DustWolf
September 29th 06, 03:38 PM
craigm wrote:
> > and the moment I attach a CD-ROM to the system, it refuses
> > to boot.
> >
> > Would somebody please help me find a way to recover these computers?
>
> Win98 Boot floppy with CD support.

The computer will not boot at all if I connect a CD drive.

Ben Myers
September 29th 06, 10:42 PM
Check the jumpers on the drives, and the drive cable. The drives are either
jumpered master (MS) and slave (SL) with a straight IDE cable or both
cable-select (CS) with a cable-select type cable.

Is the CD-ROM drive known to be in working order? ... Ben Myers

On 29 Sep 2006 07:38:22 -0700, "DustWolf" > wrote:

>craigm wrote:
>> > and the moment I attach a CD-ROM to the system, it refuses
>> > to boot.
>> >
>> > Would somebody please help me find a way to recover these computers?
>>
>> Win98 Boot floppy with CD support.
>
>The computer will not boot at all if I connect a CD drive.

DustWolf
October 2nd 06, 12:32 PM
Ben Myers wrote:
> Check the jumpers on the drives, and the drive cable. The drives are either
> jumpered master (MS) and slave (SL) with a straight IDE cable or both
> cable-select (CS) with a cable-select type cable.
>
> Is the CD-ROM drive known to be in working order? ... Ben Myers

Yes the CD-ROM was fine and all, but I figured it out eventually... the
IDE cable was supposed to be plugged reverse of what is indicated, then
it booted (but of course not from the bootable CD in the drive.. so yay
floppies).

DawgFan1785
November 7th 06, 07:23 AM
I had a Deskpro 200 Mhz. I put the BIOS partition back on. It was
about 2 years ago. I downloaded the disk 4 floppies to make the
partition.