PDA

View Full Version : Presario 5000 5BW120 IRQ Question

RD
September 12th 06, 10:54 AM
I have recently upgraded the OS on the above mentioned to Win2K SP4. I have
also maxed the ram out at 512MB and upgraded the CPU to a PIII 1GHZ. It is
as stable as a rock unless I try to load the Lexmark X73 AIO printer driver
along with a Kodak CX4320 camera driver--but that is another story. At any
rate, the question for the group is why do the modem, NIC, sound card, and
USB ports share IRQ 7? The modem is in slot 2, and the NIC is in slot 4.
Unfortunately, changing the position of the cards has no affect on IRQ
assignment. Anyone know what is going on here, and how to fix it?

HH
September 12th 06, 12:58 PM
A question. Do the modem, NIC, sound and USB work properly? If so, no change
is necessary.
If not, which of the four does not function properly?

HH

"RD" > wrote in message
>I have recently upgraded the OS on the above mentioned to Win2K SP4. I have
>also maxed the ram out at 512MB and upgraded the CPU to a PIII 1GHZ. It is
>as stable as a rock unless I try to load the Lexmark X73 AIO printer driver
>along with a Kodak CX4320 camera driver--but that is another story. At any
>rate, the question for the group is why do the modem, NIC, sound card, and
>USB ports share IRQ 7? The modem is in slot 2, and the NIC is in slot 4.
>Unfortunately, changing the position of the cards has no affect on IRQ
>assignment. Anyone know what is going on here, and how to fix it?

RD
September 12th 06, 04:46 PM
They all seem to work ok. but I haven't had a situation yet where I was
using all the devices, or most of the devices anyway, at the same time. I
have had quite a few computers over the past several years and cannot
remember ever seeing so many devices sharing a single IRQ. The Compaq BIOS
setup screen seems very limited, and I'm not sure what can be changed to
help the OS distribute the IRQ's better.

RD

"HH" > wrote in message
>A question. Do the modem, NIC, sound and USB work properly? If so, no
>change is necessary.
> If not, which of the four does not function properly?
>
> HH
>
> "RD" > wrote in message
>>I have recently upgraded the OS on the above mentioned to Win2K SP4. I
>>have also maxed the ram out at 512MB and upgraded the CPU to a PIII 1GHZ.
>>It is as stable as a rock unless I try to load the Lexmark X73 AIO printer
>>driver along with a Kodak CX4320 camera driver--but that is another story.
>>At any rate, the question for the group is why do the modem, NIC, sound
>>card, and USB ports share IRQ 7? The modem is in slot 2, and the NIC is in
>>slot 4. Unfortunately, changing the position of the cards has no affect on
>>IRQ assignment. Anyone know what is going on here, and how to fix it?

HH
September 12th 06, 07:09 PM
Rule No. 1 of computing: If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. I would not be
concerned about shared IRQs among PCI devices unless you do run into a
problem.

HH