PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Compaq or Dell 64-Bit Server That Can Hold 12 GB of Memory

Will
August 26th 06, 10:44 PM
What is the cheapest Dell or Compaq server that fits these requirements:

1) 2U or 3U rackmount configuration

2) At least six hotswap drive bays

3) 64 Bit CPU capable of running Windows 2003

4) Can take a minimum of 12 GB of memory

5) Cheaper is better (neither the CPU nor the memory need to be very fast,
as this is going to be a file server)

--
Will

Eugene Nine
August 26th 06, 11:20 PM
Will wrote:

> What is the cheapest Dell or Compaq server that fits these requirements:
>
> 1) 2U or 3U rackmount configuration
>
> 2) At least six hotswap drive bays
>
> 3) 64 Bit CPU capable of running Windows 2003
>
> 4) Can take a minimum of 12 GB of memory
>
> 5) Cheaper is better (neither the CPU nor the memory need to be very fast,
> as this is going to be a file server)

If its just going to be a file server then why the need for 64bit and 12G?

Will
August 27th 06, 05:30 AM
"Eugene Nine" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
> Will wrote:
> > What is the cheapest Dell or Compaq server that fits these requirements:
> >
> > 1) 2U or 3U rackmount configuration
> >
> > 2) At least six hotswap drive bays
> >
> > 3) 64 Bit CPU capable of running Windows 2003
> >
> > 4) Can take a minimum of 12 GB of memory
> >
> > 5) Cheaper is better (neither the CPU nor the memory need to be very
fast,
> > as this is going to be a file server)
> >
> If its just going to be a file server then why the need for 64bit and 12G?

It's a 100 GB file system and 10GB of that file system are read heavily.
Rather than investing in space and time to configure/manage a RAID array of
drives to make the reading fast, I want to cache the heavily read files in
system memory. That lets me get buy with cheaper, slower drives, do less
configuration and ongoing management of a RAID array, etc.

--
Will