PDA

View Full Version : Power On passord

KMS - Brett Anderson
August 13th 06, 05:39 AM
I have an older Compaq Presario. Don't have the number handy, but it's a 7
somthing. 7240 perhaps...

It has a power on password set (which I have), but I would like to eliminate
it.

The computer used to be in my wife's office, as an accountant, she used as
much security as was available, and a power on password was a part of that.
Now, we use it as a generic machine in my auto shop and don't need the
security.

It'a a pain to have to enter the power on password every time the computer
is turned on, but I can't find a setting to remove it.

Again, I have the password, I'm not trying to get in to someone else's
system.

I quick turorial would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brett

Ben Myers
August 13th 06, 02:54 PM
Enter the system BIOS setup and hunt around the menus until you find a "change
password", or "clear password", or something similar. Clear the password.

Alternative: Unplug the chassis from the electric power. Open up the chassis.
Remove the C2032 3v lithium battery for an hour or so. Insert battery, power up
the system and accept the BIOS defaults... Ben Myers

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 00:39:40 -0400, "KMS - Brett Anderson" >
wrote:

>I have an older Compaq Presario. Don't have the number handy, but it's a 7
>somthing. 7240 perhaps...
>
>It has a power on password set (which I have), but I would like to eliminate
>it.
>
>The computer used to be in my wife's office, as an accountant, she used as
>much security as was available, and a power on password was a part of that.
>Now, we use it as a generic machine in my auto shop and don't need the
>security.
>
>It'a a pain to have to enter the power on password every time the computer
>is turned on, but I can't find a setting to remove it.
>
>Again, I have the password, I'm not trying to get in to someone else's
>system.
>
>I quick turorial would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Brett

KMS - Brett Anderson
September 4th 06, 08:34 AM
Thanks.

Didn't see this reply until after I just sent another request for the same
info.

My problem, I guess, is that I can't seem to get into the Bios. I have no
documentation from this computer anymore, and holding down F8 or DEL buttons
during start up don't appear to enter bios. I'm thinking I have that part
wrong and it's another method that's required to get into bios on start up.

Thanks

Brett