PDA

View Full Version : nVidia 7600 GS vs 6800 XT

August 2nd 06, 08:38 AM
I have been looking at these 2 video cards, and I am having trouble
deciding on which one to buy. Price range is close, but performance is
the issue. The 7600GS (16x PCI express) uses DDR2 memory, 800 MHz
effective memory clock, 500 MHz core clock, 128 bit memory interface,
and 12 pixel pipelines. The 6800 XT is 1GHz effective memory clock
GDDR3 memory, 350 MHz core clock and 256-bit memory interface, and 8
pixel pipelines. Both have multi-display capabilities, dual DVI and
HDTV ports.

I have heard people saying "ya go for the 7600 GS it's
better", but I get the feeling that they are saying that because
everyone thinks the the 7 series is the shizznit right now, but looking
at the specs, I don't think it's doing so well. I have 4 years of
experience with nVidia cards, especially the FX set and 6600. So what
is so great about the 7600 GS? Is there some kind of newer technology?
It couldn't be faster, the specs have it clocked at 800 MHz effective
speed. I won't buy the 7600GS just because it is a 7 series, I am
looking for a video card that gives me the MOST for 130 bucks and less
(budget, ya know). Any help would be appreciated, and I am open to
suggestions. Thanks :)

First of One
August 2nd 06, 02:40 PM
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1
Scroll down the chart at the bottom. The 7600GS is similar to the 6600GT in
fillrate and memory bandwidth. Expect nothing more out of it. Get the
6800XT, especially since there are ways to possibly open four extra pipes
and turn it into a 6800GS.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have been looking at these 2 video cards, and I am having trouble
> deciding on which one to buy. Price range is close, but performance is
> the issue. The 7600GS (16x PCI express) uses DDR2 memory, 800 MHz
> effective memory clock, 500 MHz core clock, 128 bit memory interface,
> and 12 pixel pipelines. The 6800 XT is 1GHz effective memory clock
> GDDR3 memory, 350 MHz core clock and 256-bit memory interface, and 8
> pixel pipelines. Both have multi-display capabilities, dual DVI and
> HDTV ports.
>
> I have heard people saying "ya go for the 7600 GS it's
> better", but I get the feeling that they are saying that because
> everyone thinks the the 7 series is the shizznit right now, but looking
> at the specs, I don't think it's doing so well. I have 4 years of
> experience with nVidia cards, especially the FX set and 6600. So what
> is so great about the 7600 GS? Is there some kind of newer technology?
> It couldn't be faster, the specs have it clocked at 800 MHz effective
> speed. I won't buy the 7600GS just because it is a 7 series, I am
> looking for a video card that gives me the MOST for 130 bucks and less
> (budget, ya know). Any help would be appreciated, and I am open to
> suggestions. Thanks :)

Unknown
August 2nd 06, 09:34 PM
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:40:53 -0400, First of One wrote:

> http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1
> Scroll down the chart at the bottom. The 7600GS is similar to the 6600GT in
> fillrate and memory bandwidth. Expect nothing more out of it. Get the
> 6800XT, especially since there are ways to possibly open four extra pipes
> and turn it into a 6800GS.

or do the sensible thing and get 6800 gt/ultra off ebay with the full 16
pipelines, i just picked up an ultra for 102 including an extra high
end/low noise cooler.

seriously i don't understand why anyone would buy a 6800gs with 12
pipelines, granted im stuck on agp so all the gs does for me is cut the
pipelines but even as pci-express a 80 ebay 6800gt seems a much better
deal

James
August 3rd 06, 04:05 AM
First of One wrote:
> http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1

Can anyone tell me why the 7300GT has dual specifications on the
techarp.com GPU performance chart at the bottom of the page?

Just curious.

-James

James
August 3rd 06, 04:22 AM
James wrote:
> First of One wrote:
>> http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1
>
> Can anyone tell me why the 7300GT has dual specifications on the
> techarp.com GPU performance chart at the bottom of the page?
>
> Just curious.

Nevermind. I just found out why:

http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf7_pcie/7300gt.htm

I guess I bought my 7300gt too soon. The Inno3d version uses ddr3.

(sigh...)