PDA

View Full Version : GeForce overheating?!?!?!

August 1st 06, 04:50 PM
I have a problem with the fan on my videocard, the card is a GeForce
6600LE.
I first noticed the overheating problem yesterday when i played wow,
the game froze and I had to reboot. After the reboot I checked the
temperature on the GPU core and it showed 140 C. I opened the case and
the fan on the videocard DIDN'T spin. After i cleaned the fan it
started spinning again (not mutch dust). But now the temperature on the
GPU core shows 66 C when im not playing, i tryed playing warcraft III
for 15min then the temperature went to 80 C.
Thats not normal right?

So is my videocard fan broken though it i spinning???
(I have one case fan)

David Vair
August 1st 06, 05:08 PM
My 6600 GT AGP shows 65 C while idling. CPU is around 40.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

> wrote in message ups.com...
>I have a problem with the fan on my videocard, the card is a GeForce
> 6600LE.
> I first noticed the overheating problem yesterday when i played wow,
> the game froze and I had to reboot. After the reboot I checked the
> temperature on the GPU core and it showed 140 C. I opened the case and
> the fan on the videocard DIDN'T spin. After i cleaned the fan it
> started spinning again (not mutch dust). But now the temperature on the
> GPU core shows 66 C when im not playing, i tryed playing warcraft III
> for 15min then the temperature went to 80 C.
> Thats not normal right?
>
> So is my videocard fan broken though it i spinning???
> (I have one case fan)

First of One
August 1st 06, 06:39 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a problem with the fan on my videocard, the card is a GeForce
> 6600LE.
> I first noticed the overheating problem yesterday when i played wow,
> the game froze and I had to reboot. After the reboot I checked the
> temperature on the GPU core and it showed 140 C. I opened the case and
> the fan on the videocard DIDN'T spin. After i cleaned the fan it
> started spinning again (not mutch dust). But now the temperature on the
> GPU core shows 66 C when im not playing, i tryed playing warcraft III
> for 15min then the temperature went to 80 C.
> Thats not normal right?

It's on the high side of normal, especially if the room temperature is also
high. I'd start by checking the heat sink attachment. Ensure it's clamped
tightly to the GPU.

> So is my videocard fan broken though it i spinning???

It could be spinning slower than normal due to gunk buildup in the hub area
and/or loss of lubrication.

> (I have one case fan)

That could be compounding your problem. Leave the case side panel open and
retake the idle and load temp measurements. If they are much lower than
before, then your problem is caused by inadaquate case ventilation.