PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Card or CPU

John
July 31st 06, 10:36 PM
Hi

I have an Athlon64 - 3500
2GB Corsair XMS
GeForce 6800gs - PCI-e

Should I upgrade to a Dual Core 4600 cpu or 7900gt

Cheers

M. Ziegler
August 1st 06, 09:32 AM
John schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I have an Athlon64 - 3500
> 2GB Corsair XMS
> GeForce 6800gs - PCI-e
>
> Should I upgrade to a Dual Core 4600 cpu or 7900gt
>
> Cheers

7900GT, I have the same CPU and an ATI X800XL. I wait for the new
X1950XT for upgrading.

Michael

John
August 1st 06, 04:59 PM
"M. Ziegler" > wrote in message
> John schrieb:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have an Athlon64 - 3500
>> 2GB Corsair XMS
>> GeForce 6800gs - PCI-e
>>
>> Should I upgrade to a Dual Core 4600 cpu or 7900gt
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> 7900GT, I have the same CPU and an ATI X800XL. I wait for the new X1950XT
> for upgrading.
>
> Michael

Hi Michael

What score do you get in 3d mark 2005?

cheers

Mangyrat
August 1st 06, 06:39 PM
that's a tuff call to make both are not bad and both upgrades are nice
if you just have to do one then go with the 7900 gt ko sc from evga lifetime
warrantee and 90 trade up thing.

as things sit today the dual cores are nice to have but not really supported
in many games or apps. so you will notice more of a improvement with the new
video card. your 3500+ is fine for today's and most games coming out this
year plus a little overclocking is always nice.

my sys as it is now
Opte 170 @ 2.5ghz
evga 7900 Gt Ko Sc stock no oc at the moment. I had the evga 7800 gt sc
before i traded up 90 days free +shipping.
2 gigs ddr 3200 ram @208mhz

I take it your a gamer because no none gamer would be looking at a 7900 gt
for apps.

"John" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have an Athlon64 - 3500
> 2GB Corsair XMS
> GeForce 6800gs - PCI-e
>
> Should I upgrade to a Dual Core 4600 cpu or 7900gt
>
> Cheers

Mangyrat
August 1st 06, 06:46 PM
sorry I gave bad advice before thinking.

hold off on any video upgrade till vista comes out in a few more moths then
the direct x 10 cards will be out.

so now your looking at the cpu again and holding off on video till the next
generation cards hit the market in around 5 or 6 months.

right now is a hard time to pick hardware.

if you don't care about Vista then get the video card and the cpu later. and
if you do care about direct x 10 then do it the other way around.

"John" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have an Athlon64 - 3500
> 2GB Corsair XMS
> GeForce 6800gs - PCI-e
>
> Should I upgrade to a Dual Core 4600 cpu or 7900gt
>
> Cheers

M. Ziegler
August 2nd 06, 09:41 AM
John schrieb:
> "M. Ziegler" > wrote in message
>> John schrieb:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have an Athlon64 - 3500
>>> 2GB Corsair XMS
>>> GeForce 6800gs - PCI-e
>>>
>>> Should I upgrade to a Dual Core 4600 cpu or 7900gt
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> 7900GT, I have the same CPU and an ATI X800XL. I wait for the new X1950XT
>> for upgrading.
>>
>> Michael
>

> Hi Michael
>
> What score do you get in 3d mark 2005?
>
> cheers

I dont play with benchmarks. I look at the game fps and there the new
gfx cards are about twice as fast as my old ATI.

Michael

Unknown
August 2nd 06, 09:51 PM
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:46:04 -0400, Mangyrat wrote:

> sorry I gave bad advice before thinking.
>
> hold off on any video upgrade till vista comes out in a few more moths then
> the direct x 10 cards will be out.
>
> so now your looking at the cpu again and holding off on video till the next
> generation cards hit the market in around 5 or 6 months.
>
> right now is a hard time to pick hardware.
>
> if you don't care about Vista then get the video card and the cpu later. and
> if you do care about direct x 10 then do it the other way around.

the vista 3d acceleration will work on any card with shader model 3,
stuff like any nvidia 6 series or ati X1*** should work fine, plus having
tested the beta of vista i was distinctly unimpressed and couldnt see much
over xp apart from memory bloat and a little eye candy.

direct x10 will take about a year to be supported by more than a few
games, they will still be perfectly playable on older cards and i get the
feeling that next gen cards will still be a bit of a bodge, ati will be a
massive chip drawing 200watts and the nvidia's dont have the full unified
shader stuff which may or may not be usefull.

personally i would recon a 7900gt which are getting close to 170 now will
be a good investment till they shink the dies to a 65nm process and gpu's
get faster and cooler also by that time you will know what games require.

also intel are planning on releasing a quad core duo or whatever they
plan on calling it this year which should decimate the high end amd prices
so it cant hurt to wait.

job
August 2nd 06, 11:12 PM
"Unknown" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:46:04 -0400, Mangyrat wrote:
>

> > sorry I gave bad advice before thinking.
> >
> > hold off on any video upgrade till vista comes out in a few more moths
then
> > the direct x 10 cards will be out.
> >
> > so now your looking at the cpu again and holding off on video till the
next
> > generation cards hit the market in around 5 or 6 months.
> >
> > right now is a hard time to pick hardware.
> >
> > if you don't care about Vista then get the video card and the cpu later.
and
> > if you do care about direct x 10 then do it the other way around.
>

> the vista 3d acceleration will work on any card with shader model 3,
> stuff like any nvidia 6 series or ati X1*** should work fine, plus having
> tested the beta of vista i was distinctly unimpressed and couldnt see much
> over xp apart from memory bloat and a little eye candy.
>
> direct x10 will take about a year to be supported by more than a few
> games, they will still be perfectly playable on older cards and i get the
> feeling that next gen cards will still be a bit of a bodge, ati will be a
> massive chip drawing 200watts and the nvidia's dont have the full unified
> shader stuff which may or may not be usefull.
>
> personally i would recon a 7900gt which are getting close to 170 now will
> be a good investment till they shink the dies to a 65nm process and gpu's
> get faster and cooler also by that time you will know what games require.
>
> also intel are planning on releasing a quad core duo or whatever they
> plan on calling it this year which should decimate the high end amd prices
> so it cant hurt to wait.

Vista release is not final yet.Could be on time,but doubtful.

Ed Forsythe
August 3rd 06, 04:33 PM
Hi job,
It can't be on time since it's already slipped from 2006 to Jan. 2007 and it
looks as though will slip more. I'm betting on March 2007.