PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cannot format C. Boot from bootdisk. A:\>Format c: bad command

July 29th 06, 02:01 AM
i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.

I want to format c drive.

Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
after typing format c:

Please help!

Ben Myers
July 29th 06, 02:09 AM
You do not have a proper bootdisk there, probably only the lame one produced by
Windows 95/98/ME during software installation.

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the software to create the boot disk of your
choice. Make the disk, then boot with it and try to format again... Ben Myers

On 28 Jul 2006 18:01:16 -0700, wrote:

>i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
>
>I want to format c drive.
>
>Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
>after typing format c:
>
>Please help!

Jonny
July 29th 06, 05:43 AM
No shift. No F anything. A bootable diskette takes you directly to a
command prompt.
A bootable diskette (copy system files with windows explorer) does not
contain the file fdisk.exe, whereas, a startup diskette does.
--
Jonny
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
>
> I want to format c drive.
>
> Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
> after typing format c:
>
> Please help!

Ben Myers
July 29th 06, 01:19 PM
Shift-F5 actually is for Safe mode Command Prompt. Try using the arrow
to select "Command Prompt", pressing "Enter", then selecting "Start
computer with CD support".

Ben

> wrote in message oups.com...
> i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
>
> I want to format c drive.
>
> Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
> after typing format c:
>
> Please help!

Ben Myers
July 29th 06, 02:27 PM
Somebody is impersonating me, or maybe there are two mes? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:19:41 GMT, "Ben Myers" >
wrote:

>Shift-F5 actually is for Safe mode Command Prompt. Try using the arrow
>to select "Command Prompt", pressing "Enter", then selecting "Start
>computer with CD support".
>
>Ben
>
> wrote in message oups.com...
>> i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
>>
>> I want to format c drive.
>>
>> Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
>> after typing format c:
>>
>> Please help!

PCR
July 29th 06, 07:54 PM
Have you sat at an XP-machine? That could split you in two!

Put the Startup Diskette in, & turn on the computer, to boot it. But, if it's already on, just Ctrl-Alt-Del.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message ...
| Somebody is impersonating me, or maybe there are two mes? ... Ben Myers
|
| On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:19:41 GMT, "Ben Myers" >
| wrote:
|
| >Shift-F5 actually is for Safe mode Command Prompt. Try using the arrow
| >to select "Command Prompt", pressing "Enter", then selecting "Start
| >computer with CD support".
| >
| >Ben
| >
| > wrote in message oups.com...
| >> i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
| >>
| >> I want to format c drive.
| >>
| >> Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
| >> after typing format c:
| >>
| >> Please help!

Maryland Ben
July 29th 06, 08:08 PM
Sorry for not reducing the cross posting.

Ben

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message ...
> Somebody is impersonating me, or maybe there are two mes? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:19:41 GMT, "Ben Myers" >
> wrote:
>
> >Shift-F5 actually is for Safe mode Command Prompt. Try using the arrow
> >to select "Command Prompt", pressing "Enter", then selecting "Start
> >computer with CD support".
> >
> >Ben
> >
> > wrote in message oups.com...
> >> i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
> >>
> >> I want to format c drive.
> >>
> >> Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
> >> after typing format c:
> >>
> >> Please help!

коба
July 30th 06, 10:07 AM
> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
oups.com...
>i created a bootdisk form windows 98SE of the computer.
>
> I want to format c drive.
>
> Booted from the boot disk. Shift+F5 goes to Prompt. And got bad command
> after typing format c:
>
> Please help!

Earl F. Parrish
July 31st 06, 02:34 PM
"Jonny" > wrote in message
> No shift. No F anything. A bootable diskette takes you directly to a
> command prompt.
> A bootable diskette (copy system files with windows explorer) does not
> contain the file fdisk.exe, whereas, a startup diskette does.
> --
> Jonny
It is not fdisk.exe he wants. It is format.com. Bad command means that the
file was not found in the path. Format.com is found on the startup disk
created with Windows 98SE. It is loaded into a RAM drive. It is not loaded
if you choose Minimal Boot. If you do not make a choice, you go to the Help
File. Shift-F5 takes you to the Command Prompt within the Help File. The
underlying operating system is the Minimal Boot. You have to Choose CD
Support/No CD Support to get the fully operational MS-DOS.

--
Earl F. Parrish