PDA

View Full Version : 7900GT settings for my first LCD

Cuzman
July 28th 06, 04:19 PM
I'm planning a new build which I will buy when the motherboard and CPU I
want is in stock. It will likely consist of:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz Allendale
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe LGA775
- Mushkin eXtreme Performance 996523 2x1GB XP2-6400 4-4-3-10
- Nvidia GeForce 7900GT 256MB
- Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 200GB ST3200826AS
- FSP Epsilon FX600-GLN 600W

I'm getting my first LCD along with this setup. I've been happy until
now with CRTs but I now feel the need to jump to LCD. I want a
widescreen LCD around 20.1", so I was looking at the Viewsonic VX2025wm.
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX2025wm.htm

I'm concerned with the possibility of ghosting, so I'm wondering what
can be done to reduce this with the VX2025wm. If I calibrate the
monitor with the GeForce drivers and then turn the AA and AF settings to
maximum, hence adding quality and reducing the framerate, will this
actually reduce the possibility of ghosting?

peter
July 28th 06, 10:37 PM
Take a good look at the response time of the pixels .......on that monitor
its a little high....16ms from off to on to off
with a response time of 8ms or less the ghosting disappears.
try to find one with a faster response time...............the faster the
response the less ghosting
But make sure they are measuring it the same way......off/on/off not from
grey to grey

peter

--
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."
"Cuzman" > wrote in message

> I'm planning a new build which I will buy when the motherboard and CPU I
> want is in stock. It will likely consist of:
>
> - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz Allendale
> - Asus P5W DH Deluxe LGA775
> - Mushkin eXtreme Performance 996523 2x1GB XP2-6400 4-4-3-10
> - Nvidia GeForce 7900GT 256MB
> - Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD
> - Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 200GB ST3200826AS
> - FSP Epsilon FX600-GLN 600W
>
> I'm getting my first LCD along with this setup. I've been happy until now
> with CRTs but I now feel the need to jump to LCD. I want a widescreen LCD
> around 20.1", so I was looking at the Viewsonic VX2025wm.
> http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX2025wm.htm
>
> I'm concerned with the possibility of ghosting, so I'm wondering what can
> be done to reduce this with the VX2025wm. If I calibrate the monitor with
> the GeForce drivers and then turn the AA and AF settings to maximum, hence
> adding quality and reducing the framerate, will this actually reduce the
> possibility of ghosting?

johns
August 1st 06, 05:11 AM
I don't notice any ghosting, but I do notice a little tearing
in games.

johns

DRS
August 1st 06, 07:27 AM
"peter" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Take a good look at the response time of the pixels .......on that
> monitor its a little high....16ms from off to on to off
> with a response time of 8ms or less the ghosting disappears.
> try to find one with a faster response time...............the faster
> the response the less ghosting

What are referring to is motion blur, not ghosting. Ghosting has a precise
definition that has nothing to do with motion.

BillL
August 1st 06, 08:15 PM
"johns" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> I don't notice any ghosting, but I do notice a little tearing
> in games.
>
> johns

The tearing is *probably* due to running with v-sync off try turning it on,
if you haven' already. I noticed it with the Prey demo and some others.

BTW does anyone know how refresh rate (Hz) work with frame rate? Use to be,
when I had a CRT monitor, I'd turn off v-sync in games (the CRT would run at
most any refresh rate up to 100Hz) and my fps wouldn't be limited to the
refresh rate. However my LCD has a native/fixed refresh rate of 60Hz so is
there still a relationship between this and fps?

BillL

First of One
August 5th 06, 02:57 PM
"BillL" > wrote in message
.uk...
> The tearing is *probably* due to running with v-sync off try turning it
> on, if you haven' already. I noticed it with the Prey demo and some
> others.

The tearing associated with vsync disabled is reportedly worse on LCD
monitors.

> BTW does anyone know how refresh rate (Hz) work with frame rate? Use to
> be, when I had a CRT monitor, I'd turn off v-sync in games (the CRT would
> run at most any refresh rate up to 100Hz) and my fps wouldn't be limited
> to the refresh rate. However my LCD has a native/fixed refresh rate of
> 60Hz so is there still a relationship between this and fps?

Yes.