PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario 7594

CrimsonSteel
July 27th 06, 04:10 PM
I have a Comapq Presario 7594. Completely standard with the 64Mb of
Ram and Intel Celeron 544MHz. I upgraded the Disc drive to a CD-RW
(PleXwriter) and Downgraded the Hard drive from a 10Gb Seagate to a
8.4GB Maxtor from a Hewlett-Packard. I had re-installed Windows XP
onto the 8.4GB Maxtor drive on my other computer that I had built
myself in a tiny eMachines T3624 body. Anyways I tried to boot the
Compaq with the pre-installed Windows XP in it. First I see is a
black screen with "COMPAQ" in big, bold letters. I wait for
about 30 seconds than I get a black screen with a flashing
"_" in the upper left hand corner. It won't boot. Can
someone help?

HH
July 28th 06, 01:12 PM
You must reinstall the OS in the new machine. Seldom does installing an OS
in one machine then moving the drive to a different PC work. The install was
for totally different hardware.

HH

"CrimsonSteel" > wrote in message
>I have a Comapq Presario 7594. Completely standard with the 64Mb of
> Ram and Intel Celeron 544MHz. I upgraded the Disc drive to a CD-RW
> (PleXwriter) and Downgraded the Hard drive from a 10Gb Seagate to a
> 8.4GB Maxtor from a Hewlett-Packard. I had re-installed Windows XP
> onto the 8.4GB Maxtor drive on my other computer that I had built
> myself in a tiny eMachines T3624 body. Anyways I tried to boot the
> Compaq with the pre-installed Windows XP in it. First I see is a
> black screen with "COMPAQ" in big, bold letters. I wait for
> about 30 seconds than I get a black screen with a flashing
> "_" in the upper left hand corner. It won't boot. Can
> someone help?

Ben Myers
July 28th 06, 01:34 PM
Right. This is one of the "new" features of Windows XP, designed to keep
people from moving their copies of XP from computer to computer. It is
possible to do it, but damned difficult. Once accomplished, it may require
re-activation and re-authentication of Windows, too. So if the OP ever managed
to pull of moving the XP hard drive to another system, jumping thru more hoops
than a circus elephant would be needed. After all, the world must help protect
Micro$oft's revenue stream against all possible harm, never mind the legitimacy
of the need.

On the other hand, moving a Windows 2000 hard drive from one system to another
is pretty easy, same as Windows NT. With Windows 95/98/ME, there are
complicating factors.

However, moving a hard drive loaded with bootable DOS is really easy. By that
criterion, maybe we should all go back to DOS. Most Linux distros adjust
themselves automatically to a changed hardware environment, as long as the
drivers for the new hardware are available... Ben Myers