PDA

View Full Version : Stability vs. Performance

Merf
July 23rd 06, 07:39 AM
Regarding drivers, and going back as far as the first drivers released and
up to the current release, which one is the most stable on a winxp pro
system? Performance matters, but stablity is the top priority. This is for
the GeForce 7800 GS.

Thanks in advance

Merf
July 23rd 06, 08:04 AM
"Merf" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Regarding drivers, and going back as far as the first drivers released and
> up to the current release, which one is the most stable on a winxp pro
> system? Performance matters, but stablity is the top priority. This is for
> the GeForce 7800 GS.
>
> Thanks in advance

I forgot the system specs:

Intel D865PERL
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Hyperthread 800Mhz 1MB Cache
1 gig DDR 3200 400Mhz Memory
eVGA Geforce 7800 GS 256
SB Audigy2
2 Seagate SATA drives set as RAID 0
Sony DVD
Plextor CDRW
Cheap piece of junk 15" LCD monitor (plan on upgrading that next)

EDM
July 23rd 06, 09:27 AM
"Merf" > wrote in message nk.net...
> "Merf" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Regarding drivers, and going back as far as the first drivers released and
> > up to the current release, which one is the most stable on a winxp pro
> > system? Performance matters, but stablity is the top priority. This is for
> > the GeForce 7800 GS.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> I forgot the system specs:
>
> Intel D865PERL
> Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Hyperthread 800Mhz 1MB Cache
> 1 gig DDR 3200 400Mhz Memory
> eVGA Geforce 7800 GS 256
> SB Audigy2
> 2 Seagate SATA drives set as RAID 0
> Sony DVD
> Plextor CDRW
> Cheap piece of junk 15" LCD monitor (plan on upgrading that next)

Of the ones I've used, 84.21. But I haven't had any stability
issues with my current version (91.33 on a 7800GS+), at
least not yet.

Ian O
July 24th 06, 12:45 PM
EDM wrote:
> "Merf" > wrote in message nk.net...
>
>> "Merf" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>
>>> Regarding drivers, and going back as far as the first drivers released and
>>> up to the current release, which one is the most stable on a winxp pro
>>> system? Performance matters, but stablity is the top priority. This is for
>>> the GeForce 7800 GS.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>> I forgot the system specs:
>>
>> Intel D865PERL
>> Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Hyperthread 800Mhz 1MB Cache
>> 1 gig DDR 3200 400Mhz Memory
>> eVGA Geforce 7800 GS 256
>> SB Audigy2
>> 2 Seagate SATA drives set as RAID 0
>> Sony DVD
>> Plextor CDRW
>> Cheap piece of junk 15" LCD monitor (plan on upgrading that next)
>>

> Of the ones I've used, 84.21. But I haven't had any stability
> issues with my current version (91.33 on a 7800GS+), at
> least not yet.

How long's a piece of string? ;-) I had to drop 84.21 because my LCD
panel kept blanking, which didn't happen when I got to 91.33. I tried
an in-between (something.26) and that one had other issues for me. My
card was shipped with a 70 series driver and DVD playback was broken
with that. Seems there's a driver out there for everybody, you just
have to find it! For me, thank God, the latest has been a cure all and
i can actually forget drivers and use the machine in peace! ;-))

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0630-0, 23/07/2006
Tested on: 24/07/2006 12:45:29