PDA

View Full Version : AMD close to $5.5 billion deal for ATI

AirRaid Mach 2.5
July 22nd 06, 01:32 AM
CNN Money:

http://wwwtinyurl.com/outhh

AMD seen close to $5.5 billion chip deal

Source says Advanced Micro Devices could announce deal with #2 Canadian
chipmaker as early as Monday.

July 21 2006: 6:35 PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) -- -- Advanced Micro Devices, the No. 2 supplier
of computer processors, is close to a deal to buy graphics chip maker
ATI for $5.5 billion, a source familiar with the situation said on
Friday.

Any such deal would shake up the processor industry, which is
witnessing a battle over market share between AMD and larger rival
Intel (Charts).

ATI (Charts) is one of two major graphics chips makers, along with
rival Nvidia (Charts), and is a big supplier of chipsets - the cluster
of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor
- to both AMD and Intel.

Unless talks break down, a deal could be announced as early as Monday,
the source said.

ATI declined to comment, and an AMD spokesman could not be immediately
reached for comment.

Shares of ATI rallied on Friday on renewed speculation that a deal was
close at hand.

After gaining 83 cents, or 5.3 percent, to close at $16.56 on the
Nasdaq market in regular trade, the shares jumped another 7 percent to
$17.68 in after-hours trading on Inet. On the Toronto Stock Exchange,
the stock finished 99 Canadian cents higher at C$18.77.

Rumors that AMD could purchase the Canadian graphics chip maker
surfaced in late May when an analyst suggested the move could make AMD
more competitive with Intel. The speculation sent ATI shares surging
about 10 percent.

Some analysts have questioned the rationale for an AMD-ATI merger, and
others were surprised that the speculation received no attention from
analysts during AMD's earnings conference call on Thursday.

AMD shares closed at $18.26, down $3.39, or 15.7 percent, on the New
York Stock Exchange as investors worried that the company would not be
able to continue grabbing market share from Intel.

EDM
July 22nd 06, 01:47 AM
"AirRaid Mach 2.5" > wrote in message oups.com...

> CNN Money:
>
> http://wwwtinyurl.com/outhh
>
> AMD seen close to $5.5 billion chip deal

Clone hardware meets bad drivers.

Sounds like a marriage made in hell.

Andrew
July 22nd 06, 05:19 AM
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:47:43 GMT, "EDM" > wrote:

>Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
>
>Sounds like a marriage made in hell.

Yeah, just like clueless idiots and Usenet.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com

EDM
July 22nd 06, 05:30 AM
"Andrew" > wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:47:43 GMT, "EDM" > wrote:
>
> >Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
> >
> >Sounds like a marriage made in hell.
>
> Yeah, just like clueless idiots and Usenet.

Ain't it the truth?

AirRaid Mach 2.5
July 22nd 06, 05:33 AM
EDM wrote:
> "AirRaid Mach 2.5" > wrote in message oups.com...
> >
> > CNN Money:
> >
> > http://wwwtinyurl.com/outhh
> >
> > AMD seen close to $5.5 billion chip deal
>
> Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
>
> Sounds like a marriage made in hell.

more articles on the subject:

http://www.tinyurl.com/hjswl
http://www.tinyurl.com/kdkvy
http://www.tinyurl.com/eth5k
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154489.html
http://www.tinyurl.com/l2par
http://www.tinyurl.com/hwhvk

TonyC
July 22nd 06, 12:26 PM
> Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
>
> Sounds like a marriage made in hell.

Clone hardware? Where you been the last 10years?

EDM
July 22nd 06, 12:41 PM
"TonyC" <nospam> wrote in message ...
> > Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
> >
> > Sounds like a marriage made in hell.
>
> Clone hardware? Where you been the last 10years?

I've been the same place as 20 million other people: dealing
with and trying to debug crap AMD hardware and ATI drivers.

Unknown
July 22nd 06, 12:42 PM
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:32:38 -0700, AirRaid Mach 2.5 wrote:

> CNN Money:
>
> http://wwwtinyurl.com/outhh
>
> AMD seen close to $5.5 billion chip deal
>
> Source says Advanced Micro Devices could announce deal with #2 Canadian
> chipmaker as early as Monday.
>
> July 21 2006: 6:35 PM EDT
>
> PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) -- -- Advanced Micro Devices, the No. 2 supplier
> of computer processors, is close to a deal to buy graphics chip maker
> ATI for $5.5 billion, a source familiar with the situation said on
> Friday.
>
> Any such deal would shake up the processor industry, which is
> witnessing a battle over market share between AMD and larger rival
> Intel (Charts).
>
> ATI (Charts) is one of two major graphics chips makers, along with
> rival Nvidia (Charts), and is a big supplier of chipsets - the cluster
> of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor
> - to both AMD and Intel.
>
> Unless talks break down, a deal could be announced as early as Monday,
> the source said.
>
> ATI declined to comment, and an AMD spokesman could not be immediately
> reached for comment.
>
> Shares of ATI rallied on Friday on renewed speculation that a deal was
> close at hand.
>
> After gaining 83 cents, or 5.3 percent, to close at $16.56 on the
> Nasdaq market in regular trade, the shares jumped another 7 percent to
> $17.68 in after-hours trading on Inet. On the Toronto Stock Exchange,
> the stock finished 99 Canadian cents higher at C$18.77.
>
> Rumors that AMD could purchase the Canadian graphics chip maker
> surfaced in late May when an analyst suggested the move could make AMD
> more competitive with Intel. The speculation sent ATI shares surging
> about 10 percent.
>
> Some analysts have questioned the rationale for an AMD-ATI merger, and
> others were surprised that the speculation received no attention from
> analysts during AMD's earnings conference call on Thursday.
>
> AMD shares closed at $18.26, down $3.39, or 15.7 percent, on the New
> York Stock Exchange as investors worried that the company would not be
> able to continue grabbing market share from Intel.

it will be interesting when the next gen of cpus are produced on cpu
processes, if you think about it its way more profitable to produce a high
end gpu at 65nm than a low end cpu like intel currently does, expect to
see a couple of things, firstly gpu speeds ramp a lot faster and seconly
intel buy nvidia and try to destroy them.

J. Clarke
July 22nd 06, 03:53 PM
EDM wrote:

> "TonyC" <nospam> wrote in message ...
>> > Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
>> >
>> > Sounds like a marriage made in hell.
>>
>> Clone hardware? Where you been the last 10years?
>
> I've been the same place as 20 million other people: dealing
> with and trying to debug crap AMD hardware and ATI drivers.

Maybe if you would just install them and use them instead of trying to debug
them when they don't need debugging you would have fewer problems.

You are aware are you not that the latest generation of Intel chips are
clones of AMD chips.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Gonzo
July 22nd 06, 04:57 PM
"TonyC" <nospam> wrote in message ...
>> Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
>>
>> Sounds like a marriage made in hell.
>

> Clone hardware? Where you been the last 10years?

Man that's an understatment.

OMFG! Intel is now copying AMD and that clueless idiot still calls AMD
clone hardware?!?

His Mama must have kept that closet door locked tight these past 10 years or
so LOL.

He must have posed that nonsense from a 486.

Gonzo
July 22nd 06, 04:58 PM
"EDM" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> "TonyC" <nospam> wrote in message ...
>> > Clone hardware meets bad drivers.
>> >
>> > Sounds like a marriage made in hell.
>>
>> Clone hardware? Where you been the last 10years?
>
> I've been the same place as 20 million other people: dealing
> with and trying to debug crap AMD hardware and ATI drivers.

No, your a dumbass.

Those 20million other people are laughing behind your back.

Clone hardware indeed LOL. Where have you been man....really?

Dr Richard Cranium
July 23rd 06, 07:08 PM
guess i go looking for another video card manufacturer.

will the last one at ATI please shut out the lights.

i can completely understand AMD buying out nvidia... a merge of that kind of ilk, as it
were.

let me be among the first to wish ATI........ goodnight.
hasta que satisfacemos otra vez

** no fate **

dracman

-=-

"AirRaid Mach 2.5" > wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: CNN Money:
:
: http://wwwtinyurl.com/outhh
:
: AMD seen close to $5.5 billion chip deal
:
: Source says Advanced Micro Devices could announce deal with #2 Canadian
: chipmaker as early as Monday.
:
: July 21 2006: 6:35 PM EDT
:
: PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) -- -- Advanced Micro Devices, the No. 2 supplier
: of computer processors, is close to a deal to buy graphics chip maker
: ATI for $5.5 billion, a source familiar with the situation said on
: Friday.
:
: Any such deal would shake up the processor industry, which is
: witnessing a battle over market share between AMD and larger rival
: Intel (Charts).
:
: ATI (Charts) is one of two major graphics chips makers, along with
: rival Nvidia (Charts), and is a big supplier of chipsets - the cluster
: of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor
: - to both AMD and Intel.
:
: Unless talks break down, a deal could be announced as early as Monday,
: the source said.
:
: ATI declined to comment, and an AMD spokesman could not be immediately
: reached for comment.
:
: Shares of ATI rallied on Friday on renewed speculation that a deal was
: close at hand.
:
: After gaining 83 cents, or 5.3 percent, to close at $16.56 on the
: Nasdaq market in regular trade, the shares jumped another 7 percent to
: $17.68 in after-hours trading on Inet. On the Toronto Stock Exchange,
: the stock finished 99 Canadian cents higher at C$18.77.
:
: Rumors that AMD could purchase the Canadian graphics chip maker
: surfaced in late May when an analyst suggested the move could make AMD
: more competitive with Intel. The speculation sent ATI shares surging
: about 10 percent.
:
: Some analysts have questioned the rationale for an AMD-ATI merger, and
: others were surprised that the speculation received no attention from
: analysts during AMD's earnings conference call on Thursday.
:
: AMD shares closed at $18.26, down $3.39, or 15.7 percent, on the New
: York Stock Exchange as investors worried that the company would not be
: able to continue grabbing market share from Intel.
:

Flow
July 24th 06, 10:02 AM
Great news for me,I love my Amd-Ati combo.
Error free and crystal clear on my rig.
I suppose the 2 will support eachother more now on the gaming front.

"Dr Richard Cranium" > schreef in bericht
.. .

> [...]
> : surfaced in late May when an analyst suggested the move could make AMD
> : more competitive with Intel. The speculation sent ATI shares surging
> : about 10 percent.
> :
> : Some analysts have questioned the rationale for an AMD-ATI merger, and
> : others were surprised that the speculation received no attention from
> : analysts during AMD's earnings conference call on Thursday.
> :
> : AMD shares closed at $18.26, down $3.39, or 15.7 percent, on the New
> : York Stock Exchange as investors worried that the company would not be
> : able to continue grabbing market share from Intel.
> :
>

> .................................................. ..............
> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

McGrandpa
July 27th 06, 06:53 PM
"Dr Richard Cranium" > wrote in message
.. .

> guess i go looking for another video card manufacturer.
>
> will the last one at ATI please shut out the lights.
>

> i can completely understand AMD buying out nvidia... a merge of that kind
> of ilk, as it
> were.
>

> let me be among the first to wish ATI........ goodnight.
> hasta que satisfacemos otra vez
>
> ** no fate **
>
> dracman
>
> -=-

Just when ATi gets a chip out to help the Crossfire probs, lookit what
happens :\

Honest, I don't know what to think will happen. I'll be watching with
interest though.

McG.