PDA

View Full Version : A silver capacitor fell off my old Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti4200 videocard...


Ant
July 20th 06, 06:17 AM
Hello!

I was removing my old dusty Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti4200 video card out of
my computer case. I heard and saw something fell off.

I looked at the piece and it looked like a silver capacitor with its
black base part came off. Under the black base part were two circular
recentangle shapes (conduction?). It doesn't look busted or anything. I
think it just needs to be reglued(?)/resoldered(?) back on to the board.

The top said label said:
2 6
1000
6 A

I believe I found where it came from on the video card because there was
an empty spot with the same two circular recentangle shapes. Also, I
noticed some old glue color on them too. Next to it has a label: C2302.

I wonder this is what caused that one incident for my Linux lose video
signal one time a few months ago (almost like my XFX card incidents).
See http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70516 (GF4 Ti4200)
and http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72859 (XFX GeForce
6800) for details. I assume heat caused this to occur because my room is
always hot (can be up to 90F degrees!) during the heat waves especially
in the summer.

Is it safe to reuse this video card? What do I need to put this piece back?
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

Davy
July 20th 06, 11:37 AM
The two links you provided did not work here.

Sure does sound like a capacitor, maybe a 1000uF 6 volt type, if this
not damaged as you say maybe a resolder is all that is required.

You'll need a very fine tipped soldering iron.... no more than about
15 Watts rating, use a pair of tweezer's or something to rest on top
to hold it in place whilst soldering, you'll need to apply a very
minute amount of solder to the connections whilst soldering and must
be done as quickly as possible to avoid overheating the component.

NOTE: The capacitor must be
inserted correctly
Electrolytics (if this is what it is) must be connected the correct
way round, connect it the wrong way round, ie reversing the polarity
may well cause it to explode.

If you look carefully at the marks left behind when it fell off may
well provide a good clue. The component
[b:010f685a5e]must[/b:010f685a5e] be soldered, a minute blob a glue
on the underside will help holding it in place.... but do not attempt
to use super glue as this may corrode and eat the copper tracks away
over time.

What could have happened is that the solder could have become 'dry'
due to heat and age, when this happens you get a dull grey coloured
looking joint with possibly cracking, in the trade this is a 'dry
joint', the solder connection may crack leaving no connection or may
become resistive, neither conductive or non-conductive.

The way SMD (Surface Mounted Devices) are soldered is that they are
placed on the board, held in place with a blob of glue, after all the
components have been mounted the whole board is then blasted with hot
air.... to melt the solder paste on the connections pads.

Davy

July 20th 06, 04:14 PM
Davy > wrote:
> The two links you provided did not work here.

Try again? Maybe its server was down.


> Sure does sound like a capacitor, maybe a 1000uF 6 volt type, if this
> not damaged as you say maybe a resolder is all that is required.

What happens if I try to use the card without it?


> You'll need a very fine tipped soldering iron.... no more than about
> 15 Watts rating, use a pair of tweezer's or something to rest on top
> to hold it in place whilst soldering, you'll need to apply a very
> minute amount of solder to the connections whilst soldering and must
> be done as quickly as possible to avoid overheating the component.

> NOTE: The capacitor must be
> inserted correctly
> Electrolytics (if this is what it is) must be connected the correct
> way round, connect it the wrong way round, ie reversing the polarity
> may well cause it to explode.

That's scary.


> If you look carefully at the marks left behind when it fell off may
> well provide a good clue. The component
> [b:010f685a5e]must[/b:010f685a5e] be soldered, a minute blob a glue
> on the underside will help holding it in place.... but do not attempt
> to use super glue as this may corrode and eat the copper tracks away
> over time.

> What could have happened is that the solder could have become 'dry'
> due to heat and age, when this happens you get a dull grey coloured
> looking joint with possibly cracking, in the trade this is a 'dry
> joint', the solder connection may crack leaving no connection or may
> become resistive, neither conductive or non-conductive.

The dried glue color is like dark orange/brownish color.


> The way SMD (Surface Mounted Devices) are soldered is that they are
> placed on the board, held in place with a blob of glue, after all the
> components have been mounted the whole board is then blasted with hot
> air.... to melt the solder paste on the connections pads.

Hmm this sounds difficult. I will ask my friend to try it. But he said he sucks in soldering. :(
I think my old card is hosed.
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of a man to fry ants?" --Charlotte Perkins Gilman
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

Davy
July 20th 06, 09:35 PM
Electrolytics are polarised.... and if they are connected with reverse
polarity they 'may' explode through gas build up, they can also leak
very corrosive gunge which will eat away the protective PCB lacquer
then gobble any copper tracks up underneath it rendering the board
useless.

The board will either work or not work without it, if it is a 1000uF
6V dc working electrolytic the value suggest that it is a de-coupling
capacitor removing ripples from what should be a steady DC supply in
which case it may well work but with un-wanted effects on the
screen.

It's only a two minute job with the right tool and a new 'cap'
(capacitor) cost only pea nuts and easily replaceable with a iron.

When I mentioned 'blasting with hot air' I referred to the way
manufacturers solder them.... they place 'all' the components on
the board and then use hot air to solder them all at once.

See-:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic112758.html My original
article.
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm What bad caps look
like, SMDs can go the same way.


Davy

First of One
July 21st 06, 12:06 AM
If you got a TV repair shop in the neighborhood, go there and ask them to
solder on a capacitor of the same rating. You can also reuse the original
one if it's not damaged.

If you can't find anyone skilled with a soldering iron, you'd be better off
just trying to run the card without the capacitor.

Don't forget to try both monitor ports if you find one of them no longer
works.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"Ant" > wrote in message
...
> Hello!
>
> I was removing my old dusty Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti4200 video card out of my
> computer case. I heard and saw something fell off.
>
> I looked at the piece and it looked like a silver capacitor with its black
> base part came off. Under the black base part were two circular
> recentangle shapes (conduction?). It doesn't look busted or anything. I
> think it just needs to be reglued(?)/resoldered(?) back on to the board.
>
> The top said label said:
> 2 6
> 1000
> 6 A
>
> I believe I found where it came from on the video card because there was
> an empty spot with the same two circular recentangle shapes. Also, I
> noticed some old glue color on them too. Next to it has a label: C2302.
>
> I wonder this is what caused that one incident for my Linux lose video
> signal one time a few months ago (almost like my XFX card incidents). See
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70516 (GF4 Ti4200) and
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72859 (XFX GeForce 6800)
> for details. I assume heat caused this to occur because my room is always
> hot (can be up to 90F degrees!) during the heat waves especially in the
> summer.
>
> Is it safe to reuse this video card? What do I need to put this piece
> back?

July 21st 06, 01:35 AM
Davy > wrote:
> Electrolytics are polarised.... and if they are connected with reverse
> polarity they 'may' explode through gas build up, they can also leak
> very corrosive gunge which will eat away the protective PCB lacquer
> then gobble any copper tracks up underneath it rendering the board
> useless.

Isn't that also hazardous to me? Fire?


> The board will either work or not work without it, if it is a 1000uF
> 6V dc working electrolytic the value suggest that it is a de-coupling
> capacitor removing ripples from what should be a steady DC supply in
> which case it may well work but with un-wanted effects on the
> screen.

Did the label numbers give you any clues? I read off the capacitor and board for the
one that fell off.


> It's only a two minute job with the right tool and a new 'cap'
> (capacitor) cost only pea nuts and easily replaceable with a iron.

I am going to let my friend do it, but he sucks he says. Heh.


> When I mentioned 'blasting with hot air' I referred to the way
> manufacturers solder them.... they place 'all' the components on
> the board and then use hot air to solder them all at once.

> See-:
> http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic112758.html My original
> article.

I remember this story. With the age of my card and Leadtek being a TW company, this
could be it. :(


> http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm What bad caps look
> like, SMDs can go the same way.

Nice photographs!

http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/cap7.jpg concerns me because there is a capacitor
where my video card fan is. I do recall it being tilted (not lose), but I don't
remember what the bottom part looks like. I will have to check again tonight. I
thought tilted was OK, but after seeing that photograph, I am concerned.

I might also have a buldge as shown in http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/cap1.jpg
in another capacitor.

I did not see any leaks, explosions, and shorts like shown in the photographs.

Hmm, I think my video card is hosed. Time for me to buy a cheap GF4 MX card or
something (not used for gaming in Linux/Debian box). :(
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of a man to fry ants?" --Charlotte Perkins Gilman
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

July 21st 06, 01:37 AM
First of One > wrote:
> If you got a TV repair shop in the neighborhood, go there and ask them to
> solder on a capacitor of the same rating. You can also reuse the original
> one if it's not damaged.

> If you can't find anyone skilled with a soldering iron, you'd be better off
> just trying to run the card without the capacitor.

OK, so it will not start a fire or fry my other computer parts, etc.


> Don't forget to try both monitor ports if you find one of them no longer
> works.

Will do even though I only one use video port. I know one is VGA and the other is
DVI.
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of a man to fry ants?" --Charlotte Perkins Gilman
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

First of One
July 21st 06, 04:44 AM
> wrote in message
et...
> > If you can't find anyone skilled with a soldering iron, you'd be better
> > off
> > just trying to run the card without the capacitor.
>
> OK, so it will not start a fire or fry my other computer parts, etc.

No, it won't start a fire. It's certainly less risky than asking an
unskilled friend to solder the cap back on.

> > Don't forget to try both monitor ports if you find one of them no longer
> > works.
>
> Will do even though I only one use video port. I know one is VGA and the
> other is
> DVI.

There's a possibility you'll find the VGA port no longer functional. In
which case don't hesitate to try the DVI port with a DVI-VGA adapter.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

July 21st 06, 05:37 AM
First of One > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> et...
> > > If you can't find anyone skilled with a soldering iron, you'd be better
> > > off
> > > just trying to run the card without the capacitor.
> >
> > OK, so it will not start a fire or fry my other computer parts, etc.

> No, it won't start a fire. It's certainly less risky than asking an
> unskilled friend to solder the cap back on.

Heh, OK! :)


> > > Don't forget to try both monitor ports if you find one of them no longer
> > > works.
> >
> > Will do even though I only one use video port. I know one is VGA and the
> > other is
> > DVI.

> There's a possibility you'll find the VGA port no longer functional. In
> which case don't hesitate to try the DVI port with a DVI-VGA adapter.

Yeah, I should have an extra adapter from ATI somewhere. I need to dig in my old part bag.
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of a man to fry ants?" --Charlotte Perkins Gilman
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

July 21st 06, 05:58 AM
> > Electrolytics are polarised.... and if they are connected with reverse
> > polarity they 'may' explode through gas build up, they can also leak
> > very corrosive gunge which will eat away the protective PCB lacquer
> > then gobble any copper tracks up underneath it rendering the board
> > useless.

> Isn't that also hazardous to me? Fire?

> > The board will either work or not work without it, if it is a 1000uF
> > 6V dc working electrolytic the value suggest that it is a de-coupling
> > capacitor removing ripples from what should be a steady DC supply in
> > which case it may well work but with un-wanted effects on the
> > screen.

> Did the label numbers give you any clues? I read off the capacitor and board for the
> one that fell off.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8651/leadtekwinfasta250lemyvivoundamagedqn5.jpg -- I circled
the cap that fell off (found a photo online).
http://www.earthv.com/images/073002_gf4ti4200/073002_gf4ti4200_04.jpg (clearer) shows its label
says 2 2, not 2 6 like mine. Weird.

It is interesting that the top right corner color cap is black, not green like mine.



> > It's only a two minute job with the right tool and a new 'cap'
> > (capacitor) cost only pea nuts and easily replaceable with a iron.

> I am going to let my friend do it, but he sucks he says. Heh.


> > When I mentioned 'blasting with hot air' I referred to the way
> > manufacturers solder them.... they place 'all' the components on
> > the board and then use hot air to solder them all at once.

> > See-:
> > http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic112758.html My original
> > article.

> I remember this story. With the age of my card and Leadtek being a TW company, this
> could be it. :(


> > http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm What bad caps look
> > like, SMDs can go the same way.

> Nice photographs!

> http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/cap7.jpg concerns me because there is a capacitor
> where my video card fan is. I do recall it being tilted (not lose), but I don't
> remember what the bottom part looks like. I will have to check again tonight. I
> thought tilted was OK, but after seeing that photograph, I am concerned.

> I might also have a buldge as shown in http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/cap1.jpg
> in another capacitor.

> I did not see any leaks, explosions, and shorts like shown in the photographs.

Correction: I meant to say the tilted cap in the heat sink, not the fan. Apparently this
photograph, http://www.earthv.com/images/073002_gf4ti4200/073002_gf4ti4200_04.jpg photograph,
and http://k7jo.de/reviews/graphic/leadtek/a250letd/images/vorne.jpg photograph also show it
tilted. I guess it is normal.
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of a man to fry ants?" --Charlotte Perkins Gilman
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

Davy
July 21st 06, 01:41 PM
> concerns me because there is a capacitor
> where my video card fan is. I do recall it being tilted (not lose),
but I don't
> remember what the bottom part looks like. I will have to check again
tonight. I
> thought tilted was OK,

Well, during manufacture a machines shoots all the components in the
board... then solders, sometimes the components may not have been
placed 'flat' against the pcb in which case it may have been soldered
at an angle, these things have long leads don't forget.

If the capacitor tilted because of it being faulty it would have
'swelled' the indications would be as shown in those photographs.

I don't think 'I' would be worried about a fire hazard myself unless
of course -: Its a.........
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550
> AN INQUIRER READER attending a conference in Japan was sat just feet
away from a laptop computer that suddenly exploded into flames, in
what could have been a deadly accident.

Davy

July 22nd 06, 09:47 AM
My hardware friend came over to check out my old Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 MyVIVO card. It still worked
(we didn't go to Linux/Debian though) without its fallen cap. However, my friend noted some
minor orange leaks and a cap buldged that I noticed earlier. I decided not to use this card but
get a cheap GeForce FX 5200 card for basic video stuff in Linux/Debian.

Thanks to all who replied. :)


Ant > wrote:
> Hello!

> I was removing my old dusty Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti4200 video card out of
> my computer case. I heard and saw something fell off.

> I looked at the piece and it looked like a silver capacitor with its
> black base part came off. Under the black base part were two circular
> recentangle shapes (conduction?). It doesn't look busted or anything. I
> think it just needs to be reglued(?)/resoldered(?) back on to the board.

> The top said label said:
> 2 6
> 1000
> 6 A

> I believe I found where it came from on the video card because there was
> an empty spot with the same two circular recentangle shapes. Also, I
> noticed some old glue color on them too. Next to it has a label: C2302.

> I wonder this is what caused that one incident for my Linux lose video
> signal one time a few months ago (almost like my XFX card incidents).
> See http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70516 (GF4 Ti4200)
> and http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72859 (XFX GeForce
> 6800) for details. I assume heat caused this to occur because my room is
> always hot (can be up to 90F degrees!) during the heat waves especially
> in the summer.

> Is it safe to reuse this video card? What do I need to put this piece back?

--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of a man to fry ants?" --Charlotte Perkins Gilman
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )