PDA

View Full Version : Question about DVI-I

Merf
July 18th 06, 01:43 AM
The Nvidia card (BFG 7800 GS OC 256) has a DVI-I connector and a 15 pin D
connector. I want to use the DVI-I connector on the video card, but I can't
find a monitor with a DVI-I connector. I hope that I don't have to spend a
ton of $$$ to get one with DVI-I. All the ones I find have DVI-D connectors.

I guess I am asking what is a good monitor that has DVI-I that is not really
expensive or can the video card work with the DVI-D connector?

Thanks in advance *_*

bandit
July 18th 06, 03:00 AM
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:43:57 GMT, "Merf" > wrote:

>The Nvidia card (BFG 7800 GS OC 256) has a DVI-I connector and a 15 pin D
>connector. I want to use the DVI-I connector on the video card, but I can't
>find a monitor with a DVI-I connector. I hope that I don't have to spend a
>ton of $$$ to get one with DVI-I. All the ones I find have DVI-D connectors.
>
>I guess I am asking what is a good monitor that has DVI-I that is not really
>expensive or can the video card work with the DVI-D connector?
>
>Thanks in advance *_*

It will work just fine with dvi-d connector,I have my 7800gs using
this monitor and works great
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375

Bazza
July 18th 06, 03:17 AM
"Merf" wrote...
> The Nvidia card (BFG 7800 GS OC 256) has a DVI-I connector and a 15 pin D
> connector. I want to use the DVI-I connector on the video card, but I can't
> find a monitor with a DVI-I connector. I hope that I don't have to spend a
> ton of $$$ to get one with DVI-I. All the ones I find have DVI-D connectors.

DVI-I ==> Both digital & analogue signals
DVI-D ==> Digital only.

See here for a description of the cable differences:

http://www.lindy.com.au/tips/Digital_Monitor_Connections_Explained.htm

Take a look at Viewsonic. I have a VP2030B (not cheap but a GREAT monitor)
which has a DVI-I connector.

> I guess I am asking what is a good monitor that has DVI-I that is not really
> expensive or can the video card work with the DVI-D connector?

Yes.

The monitor & card will work with a DVI-D cable ... in fact it may work even
better because there is no analogue signal to confuse the monitor. I replaced the
supplied DVI-I cable on the VP2030B with a dual link DVI-D cable.

You will only *need* a single link DVI-x cable, however, the VP2030B & most
LCD monitors support dual link. I didn't check but the BFG 7800 GS will almost
certainly support dual link ... if the doco states that the card supports 24-pin DVI
that means dual link (18-pin is single link ... see the above link for more details).

Cheers
Bazza...

Merf
July 18th 06, 05:07 AM
"bandit" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:43:57 GMT, "Merf" > wrote:
>
>>The Nvidia card (BFG 7800 GS OC 256) has a DVI-I connector and a 15 pin D
>>connector. I want to use the DVI-I connector on the video card, but I
>>can't
>>find a monitor with a DVI-I connector. I hope that I don't have to spend a
>>ton of $$$ to get one with DVI-I. All the ones I find have DVI-D
>>connectors.
>>
>>I guess I am asking what is a good monitor that has DVI-I that is not
>>really
>>expensive or can the video card work with the DVI-D connector?
>>
>>Thanks in advance *_*
>
> It will work just fine with dvi-d connector,I have my 7800gs using
> this monitor and works great
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375

Thats a very nice monitor and at a good price. I just might get this one.
Also thanks for your help *_*

Merf
July 18th 06, 05:16 AM
"Bazza" > wrote in message
u...
"Merf" wrote...
> The Nvidia card (BFG 7800 GS OC 256) has a DVI-I connector and a 15 pin D
> connector. I want to use the DVI-I connector on the video card, but I
> can't
> find a monitor with a DVI-I connector. I hope that I don't have to spend a
> ton of $$$ to get one with DVI-I. All the ones I find have DVI-D
> connectors.

DVI-I ==> Both digital & analogue signals
DVI-D ==> Digital only.

See here for a description of the cable differences:

http://www.lindy.com.au/tips/Digital_Monitor_Connections_Explained.htm

Take a look at Viewsonic. I have a VP2030B (not cheap but a GREAT monitor)
which has a DVI-I connector.

> I guess I am asking what is a good monitor that has DVI-I that is not
> really
> expensive or can the video card work with the DVI-D connector?

Yes.

The monitor & card will work with a DVI-D cable ... in fact it may work even
better because there is no analogue signal to confuse the monitor. I
replaced the
supplied DVI-I cable on the VP2030B with a dual link DVI-D cable.

You will only *need* a single link DVI-x cable, however, the VP2030B & most
LCD monitors support dual link. I didn't check but the BFG 7800 GS will
almost
certainly support dual link ... if the doco states that the card supports
24-pin DVI
that means dual link (18-pin is single link ... see the above link for more
details).

Cheers
Bazza...

I looked at the link, and I can see that the DVI-D configuration will fit
into the DVI-I connector. Very nice.

Thanks for the information *_*

DRS
July 18th 06, 09:18 AM
"Merf" > wrote in message
ink.net

Merf, in your Outlook Express please go to Tools > Options > Send tab > News
Sending Format > Plain Text Settings... and turn "Indent the orginal text
with >" back on.

Merf
July 18th 06, 04:22 PM
"DRS" > wrote in message
> "Merf" > wrote in message
> ink.net
>
> Merf, in your Outlook Express please go to Tools > Options > Send tab >
> News Sending Format > Plain Text Settings... and turn "Indent the orginal
> text with >" back on.

It is on and it's been on. It works sometimes and sometimes it does'nt.
Gotta love microsoft *grin*

Bill
July 18th 06, 06:38 PM
In article t>,
says...

> "DRS" > wrote in message
> > "Merf" > wrote in message
> > ink.net
> >
> > Merf, in your Outlook Express please go to Tools > Options > Send tab >
> > News Sending Format > Plain Text Settings... and turn "Indent the orginal
> > text with >" back on.
> >
> It is on and it's been on. It works sometimes and sometimes it does'nt.
> Gotta love microsoft *grin*

Or you could use a "real" newsreader. :) GDR

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Merf
July 19th 06, 03:37 AM
> Or you could use a "real" newsreader. :) GDR
>
> Bill
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

LOL *_*