PDA

View Full Version : Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 v PCI FX5700

DRS
July 12th 06, 02:03 AM
Problem: motherboard with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and no PCIe
x16 slot.

Goal: go from appalling to modest 3D performance. Would a PCI FX5700 or
similar be worth bothering with? I know the 950 suffers badly even next to
the 6200TC but I haven't found any sort of benchmark for the PCI FX5700 that
would let me compare them.

David Vair
July 12th 06, 02:33 AM
Does it have an AGP slot?
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"DRS" > wrote in message
> Problem: motherboard with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and no PCIe x16 slot.
>
> Goal: go from appalling to modest 3D performance. Would a PCI FX5700 or similar be worth
> bothering with? I know the 950 suffers badly even next to the 6200TC but I haven't found any sort
> of benchmark for the PCI FX5700 that would let me compare them.

DRS
July 12th 06, 02:57 AM
"David Vair" > wrote in message

> "DRS" > wrote in message
>> Problem: motherboard with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and
>> no PCIe x16 slot. Goal: go from appalling to modest 3D performance.
>> Would a PCI
>> FX5700 or similar be worth bothering with? I know the 950 suffers
>> badly even next to the 6200TC but I haven't found any sort of
>> benchmark for the PCI FX5700 that would let me compare them.

> Does it have an AGP slot?

No.

Phil Weldon
July 12th 06, 04:44 AM
'DRS' wrote:
| Problem: motherboard with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and no PCIe
| x16 slot.
|
| Goal: go from appalling to modest 3D performance. Would a PCI FX5700 or
| similar be worth bothering with? I know the 950 suffers badly even next
| the 6200TC but I haven't found any sort of benchmark for the PCI FX5700
that
| would let me compare them.
_____

I wouldn't consider upgrading to a PCI display adapter.
What is the rest of your system like?
Depending, probably the best thing to do is save your money toward upgrading
at least the motherboard, if not the CPU and memory also.
Increasing the amount of memory may also help, depending.

Phil Weldon

"DRS" > wrote in message
| Problem: motherboard with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and no PCIe
| x16 slot.
|
| Goal: go from appalling to modest 3D performance. Would a PCI FX5700 or
| similar be worth bothering with? I know the 950 suffers badly even next
| the 6200TC but I haven't found any sort of benchmark for the PCI FX5700
that
| would let me compare them.

DRS
July 12th 06, 05:39 AM
"Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
ink.net
> 'DRS' wrote:
>> Problem: motherboard with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and
>> no PCIe x16 slot.
>>
>> Goal: go from appalling to modest 3D performance. Would a PCI
>> FX5700 or similar be worth bothering with? I know the 950 suffers
>> badly even next to the 6200TC but I haven't found any sort of
>> benchmark for the PCI FX5700 that would let me compare them.
> _____
>
> I wouldn't consider upgrading to a PCI display adapter.
> What is the rest of your system like?
> Depending, probably the best thing to do is save your money toward
> upgrading at least the motherboard, if not the CPU and memory also.
> Increasing the amount of memory may also help, depending.

Heheh. My system has a 7800GT. The one question I'm asking for a third
party is whether a PCI FX5700 or similar would be any sort of improvement at
all.

Benjamin Gawert
July 12th 06, 07:27 AM
* DRS:

> Problem: motherboard with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and no PCIe
> x16 slot.

ok.

> Goal: go from appalling to modest 3D performance. Would a PCI FX5700 or
> similar be worth bothering with?

Depends. The GMA950 is around as fast as a Radeon 9200 so a GeforceFX
5700 would indeed be a nice improvement. But if your application/games
use lots of textures the PCI bus gets a severe bottleneck...

Benjamin