PDA

View Full Version : A8V deluxe question

Matt
July 9th 06, 04:00 AM
I have an older Asus A8V Deluxe and I don't really see a listing for it (and
maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place) on their website. I see A8V and
I'm assuming that the specs would be roughly the same (the website where I
purcased the motherbaord lists it as discontinued, but this may just be
because they don't carry the deluxe version)? Since I'm sort of iffy on this
I have a couple of questions... can I use a AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ DUAL CORE
processor in this older motherboard? And would this processor give me better
overall performance with all other things being equal with apps like
Photoshop, Illustrator etc... over a AMD ATHLON 64 4000+? The system
already has 2 gigs of DDR400 ram a decent video card and WD Raptor drives
and I'm updating from a AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ .

Thanks!
--

Bob Knowlden
July 9th 06, 05:48 AM

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?model=A8V%20Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

(CPU support list for the A8V Deluxe)

See also:

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=68&model=238&modelmenu=1

I don't know whether an X2 3800+ would be better for Photoshop than a 4000+,
but at a guess, as Photoshop supports multiple CPUs, the X2 3800+ probably
will be better.

I'd suggest the X2 4400+, though. You may benefit from the dual 1MB L2
caches as well as the higher CPU frequency. It's more expensive than the X2
3800+, but as you've got some other high-end pieces (e. g., the Raptors),
the 4400+ seems like a more appropriate price/performance point.

"Matt" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have an older Asus A8V Deluxe and I don't really see a listing for it
>(and
> maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place) on their website. I see A8V and
> I'm assuming that the specs would be roughly the same (the website where I
> purcased the motherbaord lists it as discontinued, but this may just be
> because they don't carry the deluxe version)? Since I'm sort of iffy on
> this
> I have a couple of questions... can I use a AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ DUAL
> CORE
> processor in this older motherboard? And would this processor give me
> better
> overall performance with all other things being equal with apps like
> Photoshop, Illustrator etc... over a AMD ATHLON 64 4000+? The system
> already has 2 gigs of DDR400 ram a decent video card and WD Raptor drives
> and I'm updating from a AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ .
>
> Thanks!
> --

Matt
July 9th 06, 06:05 AM
"Bob Knowlden" > wrote in message
. ..
> Yes.
>
> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?model=A8V%20Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us
>
> (CPU support list for the A8V Deluxe)
>
> See also:
>
> http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=68&model=238&modelmenu=1
>
> I don't know whether an X2 3800+ would be better for Photoshop than a
> 4000+, but at a guess, as Photoshop supports multiple CPUs, the X2 3800+
> probably will be better.
>
> I'd suggest the X2 4400+, though. You may benefit from the dual 1MB L2
> caches as well as the higher CPU frequency. It's more expensive than the
> X2 3800+, but as you've got some other high-end pieces (e. g., the
> Raptors), the 4400+ seems like a more appropriate price/performance point.

thanks for the help.. I actually didn't intend to post this to this forum,
but now I'm glad I did!