PDA

View Full Version : Socket 939 Question Or Problem

Breck Fontaine
June 27th 06, 05:41 PM
Hello,

I have a AMD Athlon 3000+ with a retail heatsink and fan. I am using
or was using a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board. My nephew tried to remove
the heatsink and fan and pulled the processor right out of the
motherboard socket. The processor had about 5 pins bent. I tried to
straighten them but the motherboard just beeped after I reinstalled
everything (processor, heatsink, and fan). I bought a new AMD Athlon
3200+. My question is should I install the processor back into the
Gigabyte board or should I buy a new motherboard also. The socket
appears to be okay, visibly speaking. I would hate to install this new
CPU into the socket and have it get damaged somehow, if the socket is
not working okay. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

old man
June 27th 06, 10:10 PM
Hard to say, but if the cpu pins were only bent chances are socket is OK

PS You shouldnt buy anything; your nephew should :(

"Breck Fontaine" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a AMD Athlon 3000+ with a retail heatsink and fan. I am using
> or was using a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board. My nephew tried to remove
> the heatsink and fan and pulled the processor right out of the
> motherboard socket. The processor had about 5 pins bent. I tried to
> straighten them but the motherboard just beeped after I reinstalled
> everything (processor, heatsink, and fan). I bought a new AMD Athlon
> 3200+. My question is should I install the processor back into the
> Gigabyte board or should I buy a new motherboard also. The socket
> appears to be okay, visibly speaking. I would hate to install this new
> CPU into the socket and have it get damaged somehow, if the socket is
> not working okay. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you

dobey
June 28th 06, 08:48 AM
"Breck Fontaine" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a AMD Athlon 3000+ with a retail heatsink and fan. I am using
> or was using a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board. My nephew tried to remove
> the heatsink and fan and pulled the processor right out of the
> motherboard socket. The processor had about 5 pins bent. I tried to
> straighten them but the motherboard just beeped after I reinstalled
> everything (processor, heatsink, and fan). I bought a new AMD Athlon
> 3200+. My question is should I install the processor back into the
> Gigabyte board or should I buy a new motherboard also. The socket
> appears to be okay, visibly speaking. I would hate to install this new
> CPU into the socket and have it get damaged somehow, if the socket is
> not working okay. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you

First, give your nephew a smack on the head. Probably make you feel better
;-)

Then ask him how hard he pulled. Maybe the board flexed and damaged some
circuitry.

What is the pattern of the beeps? They are a code which tells you what the
problem is. A problem with memory will have different beeps to a problem
with VGA for example.

If the pins are still attatched, it seems like the CPU should be OK (though
I have only ever had an XP CPU with 2 bent pins). Sometimes the RAM just
needs re-seating. I had an Abit BE6 that required the RAM to be reseated
after doing almost anything inside the box.

Maybe a cheap board just to test the CPU. Hard to say unfortunately :-(

Personally I would start by disconnecting everything and starting with only
CPU, RAM and VGA.

Daemon Roxx
June 29th 06, 12:09 AM
> I have a AMD Athlon 3000+ with a retail heatsink and fan. I am using
> or was using a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board. My nephew tried to remove
> the heatsink and fan and pulled the processor right out of the
> motherboard socket. The processor had about 5 pins bent. I tried to
> straighten them but the motherboard just beeped after I reinstalled
> everything (processor, heatsink, and fan). I bought a new AMD Athlon
> 3200+. My question is should I install the processor back into the
> Gigabyte board or should I buy a new motherboard also. The socket
> appears to be okay, visibly speaking. I would hate to install this new
> CPU into the socket and have it get damaged somehow, if the socket is
> not working okay. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Actually, that's not hard to do. I built over 40 computers during the past
six years but still managed to do the same thing when trying to replace the
stock cooler in my latest build (A8N5X / AMD64 3200+). The thermal pad was
like glue and the heatsink was stuck to the cooler pretty well. I apparently
used too much force and pulled it right out of the socket like you said and
had 3 or 4 bent pins as a result. However, they must not have been bent as
badly as yours because once I was able to get the CPU back in the socket the
computer worked fine.

If you already bought a new CPU then I would definitely recommend you at
least try the motherboard before potentially wasting more money
unnecessarily. I really doubt you will hurt the new CPU within the first few
seconds it takes for you to realize it doesn't work - should that even be
the case. I think you will be fine.

--
Daemon Roxx

Breck Fontaine
July 26th 06, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am just a hobbyist that builds
computers for myself and family. I am not a A+ certified tech. I was
afraid to try a new processor in the possibly damaged board. I was
able to buy a AMD Athlon 3200+ for $99.00. So I bought another
Gigabyte board also. I did a RMA on the damaged board. I am up and
running and I only use my system now.