PDA

View Full Version : Flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT


GlassVial
June 26th 06, 11:25 PM
I'm having an issue with a flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT. I
have no idea what happened to it, it was working fine up until
recently. The screen looks ok it just flickers (to black and then
back again) and sometimes several times, then sometimes it won't do it
for awhile, then it'll start again. It's really annoying. If anyone
knows what the problem is, I'm all ears. Thanks.

-GV

Ben Myers
June 27th 06, 01:14 AM
If the screen flickers when you move the computer or screen just a little bit,
the cause could be a loose connection between the cable from the screen to the
motherboard. I ran into this sort of problem with a Gateway notebook I bought
for cheap from a guy who got tired of the flicker. I took the notebook apart
and ended up fastening the screen cable more securely... Ben Myers

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:25:17 GMT, GlassVial >
wrote:

>I'm having an issue with a flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT. I
>have no idea what happened to it, it was working fine up until
>recently. The screen looks ok it just flickers (to black and then
>back again) and sometimes several times, then sometimes it won't do it
>for awhile, then it'll start again. It's really annoying. If anyone
>knows what the problem is, I'm all ears. Thanks.
>
>-GV

GlassVial
June 27th 06, 04:53 AM
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:14:44 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net> wrote:

>If the screen flickers when you move the computer or screen just a little bit,
>the cause could be a loose connection between the cable from the screen to the
>motherboard. I ran into this sort of problem with a Gateway notebook I bought
>for cheap from a guy who got tired of the flicker. I took the notebook apart
>and ended up fastening the screen cable more securely... Ben Myers

It's when the unit it completely stationary on my bench. I did take
it apart but I couldn't figure out how to get the monitor cable
unplugged from the system board to re-seat it, and I couldn't find any
take-apart instructions on this unit either.

-GV

Ben Myers
June 27th 06, 01:47 PM
If the unit is completely stationary on the bench and there are no vibrations at
all, then it's possible something else is failing. What happens if you attach
an external monitor to it?

Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about repair
and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that matter. You're
supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The cost of
repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would exceed the
value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the reasons
why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 03:53:57 GMT, GlassVial >
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:14:44 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
>charter.net> wrote:
>
>>If the screen flickers when you move the computer or screen just a little bit,
>>the cause could be a loose connection between the cable from the screen to the
>>motherboard. I ran into this sort of problem with a Gateway notebook I bought
>>for cheap from a guy who got tired of the flicker. I took the notebook apart
>>and ended up fastening the screen cable more securely... Ben Myers
>
>It's when the unit it completely stationary on my bench. I did take
>it apart but I couldn't figure out how to get the monitor cable
>unplugged from the system board to re-seat it, and I couldn't find any
>take-apart instructions on this unit either.
>
>-GV

GlassVial
June 27th 06, 02:36 PM
>If the unit is completely stationary on the bench and there are no vibrations at
>all, then it's possible something else is failing. What happens if you attach
>an external monitor to it?

Then the external monitor also goes nuts :)

This all started when I tried linux on this laptop, and it couldn't
get the refresh rate or resolution right. The screen had all these
vertical lines on it, and it was way outta spec. I finally managed to
get it looking right but I think the damage was done. Also the area
where the power supply is runs really hot, but I don't recall if
that's normal for these units or not.

-GV

Ben Myers
June 27th 06, 03:40 PM
If the notebook does not work right with an external monitor either, it is
likely that a hardware problem has crept into the graphics subsystem.

These systems can run hot, especially if dust and dirt clog the vents used to
take in and push out air to cool the system. It is also possible that the
hardware could have sustained damage from excessive heat. I've seen that
happen before... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:36:00 GMT, GlassVial >
wrote:

>>If the unit is completely stationary on the bench and there are no vibrations at
>>all, then it's possible something else is failing. What happens if you attach
>>an external monitor to it?
>
>Then the external monitor also goes nuts :)
>
>This all started when I tried linux on this laptop, and it couldn't
>get the refresh rate or resolution right. The screen had all these
>vertical lines on it, and it was way outta spec. I finally managed to
>get it looking right but I think the damage was done. Also the area
>where the power supply is runs really hot, but I don't recall if
>that's normal for these units or not.
>
>-GV

GlassVial
June 27th 06, 04:45 PM
>If the notebook does not work right with an external monitor either, it is
>likely that a hardware problem has crept into the graphics subsystem.
>
>These systems can run hot, especially if dust and dirt clog the vents used to
>take in and push out air to cool the system. It is also possible that the
>hardware could have sustained damage from excessive heat. I've seen that
>happen before... Ben Myers

There's only 2 areas to vent on this laptop, the top middle and the
left side (where the internal fan is). The top middle is clear and
the fan is clean, but I've never actually heard the fan in it running.
Wish there was a way to test the fan off the system.

-GV

jerome
July 5th 06, 09:20 PM
Ben Myers a écrit:

>
> Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about repair
> and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that matter. You're
> supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
> authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The cost of
> repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would exceed the
> value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the reasons
> why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers

Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.

Ben Myers
July 5th 06, 09:59 PM
Compaq's old web site was measurably better than HP's. Fortunately, HP did not
destroy the Compaq web site after the acquisition. The Compaq web site was
merely assimilated Borg-like into the depths of the HP web site, making some of
the old Compaq info harder to find. And I do not even want to think of finding
old materials for DEC computers... Ben Myers

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:20:34 +0000, jerome > wrote:

>
>
>Ben Myers a écrit:
>
>>
>> Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about repair
>> and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that matter. You're
>> supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
>> authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The cost of
>> repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would exceed the
>> value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the reasons
>> why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers
>
>Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
>download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
>contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
>way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.

GlassVial
July 6th 06, 04:06 PM
>Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
>download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
>contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
>way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.

Got a link, because I couldn't find it. Also my friend seems to think
the problem (probably) lies in the power supply, now the question is
where to get a replacement :)

-GV

jerome
July 6th 06, 09:46 PM
GlassVial a écrit:
>>Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
>>download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
>>contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
>>way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.
>
>
> Got a link, because I couldn't find it. Also my friend seems to think
> the problem (probably) lies in the power supply, now the question is
> where to get a replacement :)
>
> -GV
>

here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang
=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=110&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96229

You can find the power supply on ebay for some bucks, its the same for
the whole Armada 7700/7800 family.

GlassVial
July 7th 06, 03:20 PM
>here:
>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang
>=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=110&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96229

I've already been to that page, none of those documents has exploded
views and tear-apart instructions for the laptop itself, however there
is one for the docking stations. Go figure.

>You can find the power supply on ebay for some bucks, its the same for
>the whole Armada 7700/7800 family.

Yeah I noticed that already. Looks like they run about $20, was
hoping they'd be cheaper than that in case it doesn't solve the
problem.

-GV

jerome
July 7th 06, 06:20 PM
GlassVial a écrit:
>>here:
>>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang
>>=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=110&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96229
>
>
> I've already been to that page, none of those documents has exploded
> views and tear-apart instructions for the laptop itself, however there
> is one for the docking stations. Go figure.
>
You are right, it seems they removed it. I can mail it to you if you
want (1.6megs, 8 files)

Quaoar
July 8th 06, 02:47 AM
jerome wrote:
>
>
> Ben Myers a écrit:
>
>>
>> Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about
>> repair
>> and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that
>> matter. You're
>> supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
>> authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The
>> cost of
>> repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would
>> exceed the
>> value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the
>> reasons
>> why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers
>
> Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
> download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
> contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
> way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.
>

Yes, but... If you want real joy in your heart, try finding out anything
about those millions of Compaq Presario 12XY notebooks from 1997 that
Compaq has conveniently disowned.

Compaq has its pluses - Armadas, and it's minuses - most of the Presario
series.

Q

GlassVial
July 8th 06, 03:23 AM
>You are right, it seems they removed it. I can mail it to you if you
>want (1.6megs, 8 files)

Yes, please.

-GV

Ben Myers
July 8th 06, 01:04 PM
Yes, I keep telling people to avoid anything with the label Presario on it. As
far as I am concerned, Presario = cheap in every respect. But there they are.
Presarios flooding the shelves of mass market retailers, so people still buy
them.

I am especially put off by the older beige P3 and Athlon Presarios with the
monstrous front bezels. Just think how many barrels of oil were consumed to
make all the plastic!

And let's not forget the Quantum Bigfoot drives from an earlier Presario era...
Ben Myers

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 19:47:21 -0600, Quaoar > wrote:

>jerome wrote:
>>
>>
>> Ben Myers a écrit:
>>
>>>
>>> Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about
>>> repair
>>> and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that
>>> matter. You're
>>> supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
>>> authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The
>>> cost of
>>> repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would
>>> exceed the
>>> value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the
>>> reasons
>>> why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers
>>
>> Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
>> download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
>> contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
>> way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.
>>
>
>Yes, but... If you want real joy in your heart, try finding out anything
> about those millions of Compaq Presario 12XY notebooks from 1997 that
>Compaq has conveniently disowned.
>
>Compaq has its pluses - Armadas, and it's minuses - most of the Presario
>series.
>
>Q

GlassVial
July 8th 06, 03:59 PM
>Yes, I keep telling people to avoid anything with the label Presario on it. As
>far as I am concerned, Presario = cheap in every respect. But there they are.
>Presarios flooding the shelves of mass market retailers, so people still buy
>them.
>
>I am especially put off by the older beige P3 and Athlon Presarios with the
>monstrous front bezels. Just think how many barrels of oil were consumed to
>make all the plastic!
>
>And let's not forget the Quantum Bigfoot drives from an earlier Presario era...
>Ben Myers

Don't even get me started on thos POS drives...but didn't compaq put
some of those in some deskpro's awhile back also?

-GV

Ben Myers
July 9th 06, 12:34 AM
Yep, Bigfoot made it into some DeskPros, too. The Bigfoot simply was not born
right... Ben

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:59:30 GMT, GlassVial >
wrote:

>>Yes, I keep telling people to avoid anything with the label Presario on it. As
>>far as I am concerned, Presario = cheap in every respect. But there they are.
>>Presarios flooding the shelves of mass market retailers, so people still buy
>>them.
>>
>>I am especially put off by the older beige P3 and Athlon Presarios with the
>>monstrous front bezels. Just think how many barrels of oil were consumed to
>>make all the plastic!
>>
>>And let's not forget the Quantum Bigfoot drives from an earlier Presario era...
>>Ben Myers
>
>Don't even get me started on thos POS drives...but didn't compaq put
>some of those in some deskpro's awhile back also?
>
>-GV