PDA

View Full Version : AMD's 939 production halt sends prices tumbling

SpamBox
June 26th 06, 06:58 PM
I saw this: -

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32603

and now I'm really miffed. I bought an Asrock 939Dual-Sata2, an Ath64 3000
and top spec RAM with the thought that in a year or two, I would be able to
pick up a better 939 as the prices would have dropped. Now it turns out that
AMD have stopped production of skt939 CPUs. What a bummer. I know that with
this mobo I have the AM2 upgrade path, but that wasn't quite what I had in
mind.

Bugger.

General Schvantzkoph
June 26th 06, 07:25 PM
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:58:04 +0000, SpamBox wrote:

> I saw this: -
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32603
>
> and now I'm really miffed. I bought an Asrock 939Dual-Sata2, an Ath64 3000
> and top spec RAM with the thought that in a year or two, I would be able to
> pick up a better 939 as the prices would have dropped. Now it turns out that
> AMD have stopped production of skt939 CPUs. What a bummer. I know that with
> this mobo I have the AM2 upgrade path, but that wasn't quite what I had in
> mind.
>
> Bugger.

The following processors are supposed to be available through 2007,

http://csip.amd.com/en/Platform/

AMD has a stable platform program where they guarantee the availability of
components for 15 months. I don't know if this means that the components
will be available in the retail channel or just to OEMs.

SpamBox
June 26th 06, 09:10 PM
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:58:04 +0000, SpamBox wrote:
>
>> I saw this: -
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32603
>>
>> and now I'm really miffed. I bought an Asrock 939Dual-Sata2, an Ath64
>> 3000
>> and top spec RAM with the thought that in a year or two, I would be able
>> pick up a better 939 as the prices would have dropped. Now it turns out
>> that
>> AMD have stopped production of skt939 CPUs. What a bummer. I know that
>> with
>> this mobo I have the AM2 upgrade path, but that wasn't quite what I had
>> in
>> mind.
>>
>> Bugger.
>
> The following processors are supposed to be available through 2007,
>
> http://csip.amd.com/en/Platform/
>
> AMD has a stable platform program where they guarantee the availability of
> components for 15 months. I don't know if this means that the components
> will be available in the retail channel or just to OEMs.

From what I've read, it looks like many of the 939 lines will be phased out
from Dec 06. I have now calmed down a bit and realised that I still have a
few options. I have also found a site that overclocked a 3000 venice core
from 1.8GHz to somewhere around 2.7GHz - always an option if I want a bit
more oomph and am struggling to source a 939 CPU!

General Schvantzkoph
June 26th 06, 09:31 PM
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:10:49 +0000, SpamBox wrote:

> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:58:04 +0000, SpamBox wrote:
>>
>>> I saw this: -
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32603
>>>
>>> and now I'm really miffed. I bought an Asrock 939Dual-Sata2, an Ath64
>>> 3000
>>> and top spec RAM with the thought that in a year or two, I would be able
>>> pick up a better 939 as the prices would have dropped. Now it turns out
>>> that
>>> AMD have stopped production of skt939 CPUs. What a bummer. I know that
>>> with
>>> this mobo I have the AM2 upgrade path, but that wasn't quite what I had
>>> in
>>> mind.
>>>
>>> Bugger.
>>
>> The following processors are supposed to be available through 2007,
>>
>> http://csip.amd.com/en/Platform/
>>
>> AMD has a stable platform program where they guarantee the availability of
>> components for 15 months. I don't know if this means that the components
>> will be available in the retail channel or just to OEMs.
>
> From what I've read, it looks like many of the 939 lines will be phased out
> from Dec 06. I have now calmed down a bit and realised that I still have a
> few options. I have also found a site that overclocked a 3000 venice core
> from 1.8GHz to somewhere around 2.7GHz - always an option if I want a bit
> more oomph and am struggling to source a 939 CPU!

The stable platform list only includes Athlon 64s. I suspect that the 939
Opteron 1xx will be around longer. Server manufacturers expect much longer
life cycles then 15 months, AMD would have to be crazy to discontinue an
Opteron that quickly. On the other hand do they consider an Opteron
1xx to be a real server chip or do they have it just to fill out their
price list?

Carlo Razzeto
June 27th 06, 04:09 AM
Ok... Where are prices tumbling? I have no frame of reference for the UK,
but across the pond here in the US S939 prices are rock solid. Have barely
even been nudged down at all.

Carlo

"SpamBox" > wrote in message
>I saw this: -
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32603
>
> and now I'm really miffed. I bought an Asrock 939Dual-Sata2, an Ath64 3000
> and top spec RAM with the thought that in a year or two, I would be able
> to pick up a better 939 as the prices would have dropped. Now it turns out
> that AMD have stopped production of skt939 CPUs. What a bummer. I know
> that with this mobo I have the AM2 upgrade path, but that wasn't quite
> what I had in mind.
>
> Bugger.

June 29th 06, 05:37 AM
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:02:13 -0400, Bill > wrote:

>Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>
>>Ok... Where are prices tumbling? I have no frame of reference for the UK,
>>but across the pond here in the US S939 prices are rock solid. Have barely
>>even been nudged down at all.
>
>It doesn't happen at the retailer instantly for most consumer goods. The
>price changes trickle down as items hit the shelves. The same for price
>increases.
>
>Except for gas prices - which only seem to go up instantly...

newegg has the 3500 for $109 2.2Ghz

You can buy two of these for less than the slower dual cores.

yeah, progress ;)

Fry's will sell you the 3500 + a motherboard for $129

Carlo Razzeto
June 30th 06, 01:20 AM
> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:02:13 -0400, Bill > wrote:
>
> newegg has the 3500 for $109 2.2Ghz
>
> You can buy two of these for less than the slower dual cores.
>
> yeah, progress ;)
>
> Fry's will sell you the 3500 + a motherboard for $129

Eh... Only really interested in dual core, what the heck are you going to do
with 2 S939 processors anyway? ;)

Carlo

June 30th 06, 12:36 PM
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:20:50 GMT, "Carlo Razzeto"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:02:13 -0400, Bill > wrote:
>>
>> newegg has the 3500 for $109 2.2Ghz
>>
>> You can buy two of these for less than the slower dual cores.
>>
>> yeah, progress ;)
>>
>> Fry's will sell you the 3500 + a motherboard for $129
>>

>Eh... Only really interested in dual core, what the heck are you going to do
>with 2 S939 processors anyway? ;)
>
>Carlo

Just thinking about what a great deal dual cores are.

You could buy three faster single core cpu's for about the same
price.

Don Taylor
June 30th 06, 08:55 PM
writes:
>On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:20:50 GMT, "Carlo Razzeto"
> wrote:
> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:02:13 -0400, Bill > wrote:
>>>
>>> newegg has the 3500 for $109 2.2Ghz
>>> You can buy two of these for less than the slower dual cores.
>>> yeah, progress ;)
>>> Fry's will sell you the 3500 + a motherboard for $129
>>
>>Eh... Only really interested in dual core, what the heck are you going to do
>>with 2 S939 processors anyway? ;)

>Just thinking about what a great deal dual cores are.

>You could buy three faster single core cpu's for about the same
>price.

Are there fairly cheap dual or quad socket 939 boards so I could
plug two or three of these single core faster cpus into a board
for the same price? That's what I'm looking for at the moment.

July 4th 06, 07:01 AM
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:55:48 -0500, Don Taylor

writes:
>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:20:50 GMT, "Carlo Razzeto"
> wrote:

>>>Eh... Only really interested in dual core, what the heck are you going to do
>>>with 2 S939 processors anyway? ;)
>
>>Just thinking about what a great deal dual cores are.
>
>>You could buy three faster single core cpu's for about the same
>>price.
>
>Are there fairly cheap dual or quad socket 939 boards so I could
>plug two or three of these single core faster cpus into a board
>for the same price? That's what I'm looking for at the moment.

You'd need the opteron for that I believe.

Apparently screwing the commercial customers on server motherboards
is more profitable than selling enthusiasts lots of cpu's.

Ditto raid5 stuff for whatever reason.

They seem terrified that anyone should have a cheap server.

Hachiroku
August 4th 06, 07:27 PM
"SpamBox" > wrote in message
>I saw this: -
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32603
>
> and now I'm really miffed. I bought an Asrock 939Dual-Sata2, an Ath64 3000
> and top spec RAM with the thought that in a year or two, I would be able
> to pick up a better 939 as the prices would have dropped. Now it turns out
> that AMD have stopped production of skt939 CPUs. What a bummer. I know
> that with this mobo I have the AM2 upgrade path, but that wasn't quite
> what I had in mind.
>
> Bugger.
I have the same board with an AMD 4000+ Athlon 64, and I can't get anything
to boot!
No Windows, No Linux (I had anticipated problems with this!)

But, Knoppix, the Swiss Army knife of LIVE CDs won't boot, Gnoppix (a Debian
deriviative) makes it 90% of the way and hangs! Usually, one of these will
boot the deadest system!

I have the ASRock 939 Dual SATA MOBO, a Diamond AGP 8X Video card based on
the ATi 9550 GPU,
2 Kingston HyperX PC3500 256M DIMMS clocked DOWN to 400MHz (ran fine in my
SOYO Dragon!)
and a 400 or 450 Watt PSU that ran everything just fine with my SOYO and 6
disk/CD drives.
Even reinstalling Windows XP hangs somewhere. Had total boot problems at
first but then got it stable enough
to get past the POST and access the drives.

I have downloaded ALL the BIOS updates from ASRock; the 1.30 version does
say, "Added AMD 4000+ support"
while their website says AMD Athlon 64 4000+ support from day 1!

Any Ideas?

Htnakirs
August 8th 06, 08:40 AM
Hachiroku wrote:
> Any Ideas?

Try using other RAM modules. The symptoms do point to RAM issues.

mr deo
August 17th 06, 01:43 AM
> Try using other RAM modules. The symptoms do point to RAM issues.

actually, sounds like cpu getting too hot, or the mobo not able to cope with
the fsb.