PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 91.31 has adware in it

Larry Roberts
June 25th 06, 01:49 PM
The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
looking better because of this.

Timelord
June 25th 06, 02:44 PM
I have noticed this also. I reinstalled Forceware 84.21 to resolve this as
this version works just just fine with my Gainward 7800GS 512mb AGP card.
"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
> looking better because of this.

First of One
June 25th 06, 03:20 PM
Some developer at nVidia probably got "too helpful" in making sure users who
have two cards installed don't accidentally leave SLI disabled.

Does this "feature" appear as a startup service in services.msc? Can you
disable it from there or set it to manual startup?

What if you just set the nVidia system tray icon to "always hide" in taskbar
properties?
ATi goes the other extreme. Crossfire is turned off by default under all
circumstances, with no notification, unless you manually enable it in the
control center. A new user who just spent $1500 on a Crossfire setup could
end up running in single-card mode for years without a clue...

"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
> looking better because of this.

BigVoice
June 25th 06, 03:23 PM
I also uninstalled and return to the 84.21 driver. The new driver has
not much improvement for my 6800GT AGP card especially I don't like
the tray icon !!!

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:44:01 GMT, "Timelord" >
wrote:

>I have noticed this also. I reinstalled Forceware 84.21 to resolve this as
>this version works just just fine with my Gainward 7800GS 512mb AGP card.
>"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
>> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
>> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
>> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
>> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
>> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
>> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
>> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
>> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
>> looking better because of this.

Larry Roberts
June 25th 06, 04:12 PM
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:20:35 -0400, "First of One" >
wrote:

>Some developer at nVidia probably got "too helpful" in making sure users who
>have two cards installed don't accidentally leave SLI disabled.
>
>Does this "feature" appear as a startup service in services.msc? Can you
>disable it from there or set it to manual startup?

I only see Nvidia Display Driver Services listed.

>What if you just set the nVidia system tray icon to "always hide" in taskbar
>properties?

This hides it, but everytime you reboot, you still get a popup
about icons being hidden.

SumGuy
June 25th 06, 08:39 PM
Larry Roberts wrote:
> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
> looking better because of this.

For better or for worse, here is what is posted on Nvidia's web site:

"This notification error will be removed in future reference driver
releases."

Marni
June 25th 06, 11:22 PM
Its a Beta driver.

"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
> looking better because of this.

Corvus
June 26th 06, 01:23 AM
"Marni" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
> Its a Beta driver.
>

> "Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
>> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
>> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
>> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
>> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
>> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
>> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
>> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
>> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
>> looking better because of this.

This is a quite obvious bug and i noticed it in the inofficial 91.31, and
thought itll be removed in an official driver- DOH!
Ive scanned the registry and found no way to disable this.Thought its
because i have an ASrock 939dual with fully implemented AGP and PCIe, so
which mobos do you guys own?

DC
June 26th 06, 04:09 AM
"Corvus" > wrote in message

> "Marni" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> . ..
>> Its a Beta driver.
>>

>> "Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
>>> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
>>> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
>>> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
>>> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
>>> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
>>> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
>>> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
>>> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
>>> looking better because of this.
>>
> This is a quite obvious bug and i noticed it in the inofficial 91.31, and
> thought itll be removed in an official driver- DOH!
> Ive scanned the registry and found no way to disable this.Thought its
> because i have an ASrock 939dual with fully implemented AGP and PCIe, so
> which mobos do you guys own?

Yes, I wouldn't say this is so much malware/adware as just a bug.
At the risk of repeating myself and peeving everyone off, I just answered
g0pher, who has much the same concern.

On page 8 of the release notes for 91.31, it lists the problem as still
being an 'open issue'.
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.31/91.31_ForceWare_Release_Notes_WHQL.pdf

Home Theatre Guy
June 26th 06, 04:27 AM
Anoying :(

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:12:59 -0500, Larry Roberts >
wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:20:35 -0400, "First of One" >
>wrote:
>
>>Some developer at nVidia probably got "too helpful" in making sure users who
>>have two cards installed don't accidentally leave SLI disabled.
>>
>>Does this "feature" appear as a startup service in services.msc? Can you
>>disable it from there or set it to manual startup?
>
> I only see Nvidia Display Driver Services listed.
>

>>What if you just set the nVidia system tray icon to "always hide" in taskbar
>>properties?
>
> This hides it, but everytime you reboot, you still get a popup
>about icons being hidden.

Conor
June 26th 06, 02:22 PM
In article >, Marni
says...
> Its a Beta driver.

Not anymore. It's on their main download page as WHQL.

--
Conor

Who the **** said I was trying to endear myself to anyone?

Larry Roberts
June 26th 06, 08:28 PM
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 00:22:55 +0200, "Marni" > wrote:

>Its a Beta driver.

Where have you been for the last 3 days. It's an official
release now.

Larry Roberts
June 26th 06, 08:31 PM
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 02:23:44 +0200, "Corvus" > wrote:

>"Marni" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
>> Its a Beta driver.
>>

>> "Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
>>> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
>>> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
>>> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
>>> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
>>> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
>>> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
>>> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
>>> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
>>> looking better because of this.
>>
>This is a quite obvious bug and i noticed it in the inofficial 91.31, and
>thought itll be removed in an official driver- DOH!
>Ive scanned the registry and found no way to disable this.Thought its
>because i have an ASrock 939dual with fully implemented AGP and PCIe, so
>which mobos do you guys own?

I'm using an FIC AN19c (VIA KT400). AGP only.

Larry Roberts
June 26th 06, 08:41 PM
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:09:11 +1000, "DC" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Yes, I wouldn't say this is so much malware/adware as just a bug.
>At the risk of repeating myself and peeving everyone off, I just answered
>g0pher, who has much the same concern.
>
>On page 8 of the release notes for 91.31, it lists the problem as still
>being an 'open issue'.
>http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.31/91.31_ForceWare_Release_Notes_WHQL.pdf

That's cool, but it seems suspicious as the message takes you
to the SLI website as if it's advertising SLI. If it was to just show
you one of the cards in an SLI rig as being dsabled, it should just
bring you to the SLI portion of the control panal to enable the other,
or allow you to disable the notification all together.

DC
June 27th 06, 12:39 AM
"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:09:11 +1000, "DC" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Yes, I wouldn't say this is so much malware/adware as just a bug.
>>At the risk of repeating myself and peeving everyone off, I just answered
>>g0pher, who has much the same concern.
>>
>>On page 8 of the release notes for 91.31, it lists the problem as still
>>being an 'open issue'.
>>http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.31/91.31_ForceWare_Release_Notes_WHQL.pdf
>>

> That's cool, but it seems suspicious as the message takes you
> to the SLI website as if it's advertising SLI. If it was to just show
> you one of the cards in an SLI rig as being dsabled, it should just
> bring you to the SLI portion of the control panal to enable the other,
> or allow you to disable the notification all together.

The message has always done that (taken you to the website)...but yeah, I
can see what you mean about it being a bit sus.
Oh well, I guess this 'age' will go down as the age of mass-marketing and
product placement ;)

I can't wait to see how many ads are in Superman. :D

McGrandpa
July 2nd 06, 09:28 PM
I have the 91.31 64 bit set installed. I also have a pair of 7800GTX's in
SLI. I keep SLI disabled for dual monitors. Not having any of those
problems mentioned.
McG.

"First of One" > wrote in message
> Some developer at nVidia probably got "too helpful" in making sure users
> who
> have two cards installed don't accidentally leave SLI disabled.
>
> Does this "feature" appear as a startup service in services.msc? Can you
> disable it from there or set it to manual startup?
>
> What if you just set the nVidia system tray icon to "always hide" in
> taskbar properties?
> ATi goes the other extreme. Crossfire is turned off by default under all
> circumstances, with no notification, unless you manually enable it in the
> control center. A new user who just spent $1500 on a Crossfire setup could
> end up running in single-card mode for years without a clue...

> "Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
>> The new drivers have adware coded into them. When you try, and
>> disable the tray icon from within the driver control panel, it popsup
>> again at reboot with a message that one of your SLI cards was
>> disabled, even though you have only one card, or an AGP card. The
>> message ask you to click the bubble fr more info, which then brings
>> you to Nvidia's SLI website. This is nothing more than an
>> advertisement to get you to buy SLI. If you try, and disable it from
>> MSCONFIG, it reinstalls itself. Malware. The ATI products are now
>> looking better because of this.

First of One
July 3rd 06, 06:53 AM
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=760

nVidia has been aware of this problem for five months before the release of
the 91.31 drivers. It was probably an isolated bug in the XP 32-bit driver
set, no more.