PDA

View Full Version : Best gaming CPU

Mr. Mustang
June 23rd 06, 05:04 PM
Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or
the Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?

Thanks!

General Schvantzkoph
June 23rd 06, 05:41 PM
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:04:48 +0000, Mr. Mustang wrote:

> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or
> the Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?
>

> Thanks!

In socket 939 there isn't any difference at the moment. However in a few
weeks there will be. AMD is dropping the 1M cache Athlon64s, after they do
that you'll have to buy an Opteron to get 1M caches.

John Weiss
June 23rd 06, 06:55 PM
"Mr. Mustang" > wrote...
> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or the
> Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?

The FX series of the A64 usually gets the gaming nod, due to their higher clock
speeds and large cache. The FX60 is the top of the heap for a single-core, and
the FX62 is the introductory dual-core gaming CPU. Apparently all future FX
CPUs will be in the AM2 socket.

Andrew MacPherson
June 23rd 06, 09:08 PM
(Mr. Mustang) wrote:

> What are the major differences between the two?

The only thing that really matters, give or take the odd benchmark that
prefers more cache or a spare core, is MHz.

Andrew McP

Hawkeye
June 23rd 06, 11:18 PM
FX60 is a dual core as well. Fx57 is last of single core

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:55:16 -0700, "John Weiss"
<jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet> wrote:

>"Mr. Mustang" > wrote...
>> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or the
>> Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?
>
>The FX series of the A64 usually gets the gaming nod, due to their higher clock
>speeds and large cache. The FX60 is the top of the heap for a single-core, and
>the FX62 is the introductory dual-core gaming CPU. Apparently all future FX
>CPUs will be in the AM2 socket.

Hawkeye
June 23rd 06, 11:24 PM
And it looks like the FX62 is the new AM2 cpu

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:55:16 -0700, "John Weiss"
<jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet> wrote:

>"Mr. Mustang" > wrote...
>> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or the
>> Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?
>
>The FX series of the A64 usually gets the gaming nod, due to their higher clock
>speeds and large cache. The FX60 is the top of the heap for a single-core, and
>the FX62 is the introductory dual-core gaming CPU. Apparently all future FX
>CPUs will be in the AM2 socket.

Merrill P. L. Worthington
June 24th 06, 12:05 AM
Mr. Mustang wrote:

> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or
> the Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?
>

> Thanks!

With the recent price drops, the Ath 64 3800 may be the best buy for
gaming. Bench tests show it faster than the 3700 which is the same as
the Opteron 148.

John Weiss
June 24th 06, 12:24 AM
Yep! My misteak!

"Hawkeye" > wrote...
> FX60 is a dual core as well. Fx57 is last of single core

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:55:16 -0700, "John Weiss" wrote:
>
>>"Mr. Mustang" > wrote...
>> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or
>> the
>> Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?
>
>The FX series of the A64 usually gets the gaming nod, due to their higher clock
>speeds and large cache. The FX60 is the top of the heap for a single-core, and
>the FX62 is the introductory dual-core gaming CPU. Apparently all future FX
>CPUs will be in the AM2 socket.

Merrill P. L. Worthington
June 24th 06, 12:28 AM
Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:

> Mr. Mustang wrote:
>
>> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits
>> CPUs or the Opteron line? What are the major differences between the
>> two?
>>

>> Thanks!
>

> With the recent price drops, the Ath 64 3800 may be the best buy for
> gaming. Bench tests show it faster than the 3700 which is the same as
> the Opteron 148.

Last I checked, ZipZoomFly had 3800s for under $140.

Hopeful
June 24th 06, 08:00 AM
Multiplier is the main difference, the cores are essentially the same
(except for the Opterons in the 2xx/4xx multiprocessor series) and hence
performance is identical.

Athlon64 allow multiplier change downwards but not upwards.

Athlon64 FX allows multiplier changes both upwards and downwards (thats
why overclockers with lots of money to burn prefer them).

Opterons don't allow you to change multiplier at all (ie most restictive
for overclocking).

So if your not planning to overclock get the cheapest one at the sped
your want (almost certainly its a Athlon64 although there are some cheap
1xx Opterons out there).

Mr. Mustang wrote:
> Which is a better line for gaming (socket 939), the Athlon 64 bits CPUs or
> the Opteron line? What are the major differences between the two?
>

> Thanks!

TonyC
July 7th 06, 11:49 AM
> Opterons don't allow you to change multiplier at all (ie most restictive
> for overclocking).

Err.. Opterons DO allow you to change the multi downwards same as Athlon64.