PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 7800GS AGP card.

phil
June 20th 06, 06:10 PM
I recently bought a brand new 7800 GS 512mb Gainward card (about 3 weeks
ago) & my system crashed & now it won't even boot. No text appears on the
monitor at all & there are no beeps. The monitor LED changes from amber to
green then back to amber & thats it. The graphics card works fine in another
pc so than aint faulty.
I'm told that my bios has gone 7 themotherboard wants changing. I tried
another RAM stick which i know is ok too.
Reset the bios etc but no joy.

Now i wonder if i have blown the motherboard as there are two power dongle
connectors on the graphics card to which appear to go to a common terminal
but i only used one. Th PSU is ok too which is a 500w.

Any suggestions anyone as to what could be wrong.

phil
June 20th 06, 08:34 PM
Im not sure what the make & model is but i have had it tested & it is in
perfect working order.
"Zadok" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:10:40 GMT, "phil" >
> wrote:
>
>>I recently bought a brand new 7800 GS 512mb Gainward card (about 3 weeks
>>ago) & my system crashed & now it won't even boot. No text appears on the
>>monitor at all & there are no beeps. The monitor LED changes from amber to
>>green then back to amber & thats it. The graphics card works fine in
>>another
>>pc so than aint faulty.
>>I'm told that my bios has gone 7 themotherboard wants changing. I tried
>>another RAM stick which i know is ok too.
>>Reset the bios etc but no joy.
>>
>>Now i wonder if i have blown the motherboard as there are two power dongle
>>connectors on the graphics card to which appear to go to a common terminal
>>but i only used one. Th PSU is ok too which is a 500w.
>>
>>Any suggestions anyone as to what could be wrong.
>>

> What's the make & model of the PSU?
> Did you try the old video card back in there?
>
> -- Zadok

HockeyTownUSA
June 21st 06, 01:56 AM
"phil" > wrote in message
.uk...
>I recently bought a brand new 7800 GS 512mb Gainward card (about 3 weeks
>ago) & my system crashed & now it won't even boot. No text appears on the
>monitor at all & there are no beeps. The monitor LED changes from amber to
>green then back to amber & thats it. The graphics card works fine in
>another pc so than aint faulty.
> I'm told that my bios has gone 7 themotherboard wants changing. I tried
> another RAM stick which i know is ok too.
> Reset the bios etc but no joy.
>
> Now i wonder if i have blown the motherboard as there are two power dongle
> connectors on the graphics card to which appear to go to a common terminal
> but i only used one. Th PSU is ok too which is a 500w.
>
> Any suggestions anyone as to what could be wrong.

Use both power dongles. It needs the juice from both!

richard daley
June 21st 06, 06:27 AM
Also try different power cables from your psu especially if you have more
than 1 tv rail. worked for me.

"HockeyTownUSA" > wrote in message
. ..

> "phil" > wrote in message
> .uk...
>>I recently bought a brand new 7800 GS 512mb Gainward card (about 3 weeks
>>ago) & my system crashed & now it won't even boot. No text appears on the
>>monitor at all & there are no beeps. The monitor LED changes from amber to
>>green then back to amber & thats it. The graphics card works fine in
>>another pc so than aint faulty.
>> I'm told that my bios has gone 7 themotherboard wants changing. I tried
>> another RAM stick which i know is ok too.
>> Reset the bios etc but no joy.
>>
>> Now i wonder if i have blown the motherboard as there are two power
>> dongle connectors on the graphics card to which appear to go to a common
>> terminal but i only used one. Th PSU is ok too which is a 500w.
>>
>> Any suggestions anyone as to what could be wrong.
>>

> Use both power dongles. It needs the juice from both!

Mike L
June 21st 06, 09:30 AM
Well, the 7800GS does require a fair amount of power. Like the other
gentlemen above me asked, what make/model is your PSU? It's possible
that your PSU was faulty/insufficient in someway or another and never
showed it's flaws until some pressure was applied to it. By the way,
that power dongle you mentioned is called a splitter. Most, if not
all videocards nowadays require some sort of extra power, and you
MUST use it. All you do is plug it in, attach a *spare* power
connector, and it will split the power to another component off of
the second connector. When I say spare, I actually mean it's own
connector, meaning a completely, separate and unused powerline. There
can be no other peripheral being shared off of that line. Also, did
you try your old videocard after you experienced the problem? I
suggest that you breakdown your system to the bare mininum such as:
CPU, HDD, 1 stick of RAM, video card, and ofcourse your power supply.
This will help you to identify what is causing the problem. By the
way, I highly doubt that you "blew" anything, because if
you did then your computer wouldn't turn on at all. Goodluck.

P.S. By the way, if nothing still works, then it's most likely your
powersupply. The powersupply is like the heart of any system, and if
you purchased one that was cheap, or underpowered then you'll end up
paying for it; literally. Take care.

Edit: I also forgot to mention, you should seriously look into what
make/model your PSU is, because the 7800GS requires atleast a 350-400
watt powersupply with about 20amps on the 12 volt line.

Timelord
June 23rd 06, 11:13 PM
I was right, it was the motherboard which had gone. I have now fitted a new
one which has also got a PCI-E slot as well as an AGP.
.uk...