PDA

View Full Version : best motherboard for 64 x2 4200+

Dave P
June 20th 06, 12:27 PM
Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+

Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?

Welcome all opinions.

TIA,
DaveP

General Schvantzkoph
June 20th 06, 02:41 PM
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:

> Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
>
> Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
>
> Welcome all opinions.
>
> TIA,
> DaveP

The AM2s will have some future upgrade potential, the 939s won't. Also you
can put more RAM on an AM2, upto 8G, the 939s can only handle 4G. The RAM
differences are due to DIMM limitations as opposed to board limitations.
The biggest DDR DIMM is 1G, the biggest DDR2 DIMM is 2G.

There won't be any performance differences between an AM2 and a 939.
Except for the memory controller there are no differences between the 939
and AM2 processors.

Hold off your purchase for a month. Intel is introducing Conroe on July 24
and AMD has scheduled big price decreases to coincide with Intel's
introduction.

Wes Newell
June 20th 06, 04:15 PM
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:

> Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
>
> Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
>
> Welcome all opinions.

And they're all worthless without knowing what you are going to do with
the machine. Example, I've got 4 PCI HDTV tuners and a PCI ATA raid card
in this MB filling up all 5 PCI slots and an AGP video card. Most opinions
you will probably get will be for PCI-E MB's that only have 2 or 3 PCI
slots and no AGP slot.. Totally worthless to me. There is no best MB. Only
one that meets your needs. And you are the only person that knows what
those are. AM2 will certainly be the latest and the best IF you have a
PCI-E video card and don't need a lot of regular PCI slots.

Al Dykes
June 20th 06, 06:49 PM
In article >,
General Schvantzkoph > wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:
>
>> Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
>>
>> Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
>>
>> Welcome all opinions.
>>
>> TIA,
>> DaveP
>
>The AM2s will have some future upgrade potential, the 939s won't. Also you
>can put more RAM on an AM2, upto 8G, the 939s can only handle 4G. The RAM
>differences are due to DIMM limitations as opposed to board limitations.
>The biggest DDR DIMM is 1G, the biggest DDR2 DIMM is 2G.
>
>There won't be any performance differences between an AM2 and a 939.
>Except for the memory controller there are no differences between the 939
>and AM2 processors.
>
>Hold off your purchase for a month. Intel is introducing Conroe on July 24
>and AMD has scheduled big price decreases to coincide with Intel's
>introduction.

How does the cost of memory (this week) for AM2 compare to 939 ?

I'm probbaly looking at a pair of 512MB simms.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

General Schvantzkoph
June 20th 06, 07:08 PM
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:49:12 -0400, Al Dykes wrote:

> In article >,
> General Schvantzkoph > wrote:
>>On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
>>>
>>> Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
>>>
>>> Welcome all opinions.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> DaveP
>>
>>The AM2s will have some future upgrade potential, the 939s won't. Also you
>>can put more RAM on an AM2, upto 8G, the 939s can only handle 4G. The RAM
>>differences are due to DIMM limitations as opposed to board limitations.
>>The biggest DDR DIMM is 1G, the biggest DDR2 DIMM is 2G.
>>
>>There won't be any performance differences between an AM2 and a 939.
>>Except for the memory controller there are no differences between the 939
>>and AM2 processors.
>>
>>Hold off your purchase for a month. Intel is introducing Conroe on July 24
>>and AMD has scheduled big price decreases to coincide with Intel's
>>introduction.
>>

> How does the cost of memory (this week) for AM2 compare to 939 ?
>
> I'm probbaly looking at a pair of 512MB simms.

Check pricewatch or Newegg. The pricing of DDR2 and DDR are pretty close
at the moment, in the long run DDR2 will be cheaper. New RAMs in the
newest processes will all be DDR2. BTW I'd get a pair of 1G DDR2 RAMs if I
were you. RAM is pretty cheap, there is no reason to skimp unless you are
really strapped for cash.

Dave P
June 20th 06, 11:23 PM
Since AGP is out and PCI-E is in i will go with PCI-E and replace my main
video card. My other two video cards can stay PCI. I was looking for user
opinions as to what they have found to be reliable. My 754 board is MSI so
was curious what the popular and reliable current board was out there.

Thanks again

"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:
>
>> Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
>>
>> Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
>>
>> Welcome all opinions.
>>
> And they're all worthless without knowing what you are going to do with
> the machine. Example, I've got 4 PCI HDTV tuners and a PCI ATA raid card
> in this MB filling up all 5 PCI slots and an AGP video card. Most opinions
> you will probably get will be for PCI-E MB's that only have 2 or 3 PCI
> slots and no AGP slot.. Totally worthless to me. There is no best MB. Only
> one that meets your needs. And you are the only person that knows what
> those are. AM2 will certainly be the latest and the best IF you have a
> PCI-E video card and don't need a lot of regular PCI slots.
>
> --
> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
> http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

Dave P
June 20th 06, 11:24 PM
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:
>
>> Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
>>
>> Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
>>
>> Welcome all opinions.
>>
>> TIA,
>> DaveP
>
> The AM2s will have some future upgrade potential, the 939s won't. Also you
> can put more RAM on an AM2, upto 8G, the 939s can only handle 4G. The RAM
> differences are due to DIMM limitations as opposed to board limitations.
> The biggest DDR DIMM is 1G, the biggest DDR2 DIMM is 2G.
>
> There won't be any performance differences between an AM2 and a 939.
> Except for the memory controller there are no differences between the 939
> and AM2 processors.
>
> Hold off your purchase for a month. Intel is introducing Conroe on July 24
> and AMD has scheduled big price decreases to coincide with Intel's
> introduction.

Great info. Thanks

General Schvantzkoph
June 20th 06, 11:58 PM
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:23:34 -0500, Dave P wrote:

> Since AGP is out and PCI-E is in i will go with PCI-E and replace my main
> video card. My other two video cards can stay PCI. I was looking for user
> opinions as to what they have found to be reliable. My 754 board is MSI so
> was curious what the popular and reliable current board was out there.
>
> Thanks again

There is no reason not to stick with MSI. I have two MSI motherboards, an
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a 3800+ (single core) and an MSI Neo4 Platinum
with an X2 4400+. Both boards have been reliable. I run my systems 24/7
and I haven't experienced any problems or crashes. I'm using Fedora Core
on both of them, 64 bit FC5 on the X2 4400+ and 32 bit FC5 on the 3800+
system. I'm sure that ASUS or Tyan Nforce motherboards are probably just
as reliable but I don't have any experience with either so I can't say for
sure.

Dave P
June 21st 06, 01:16 AM
> There is no reason not to stick with MSI. I have two MSI motherboards, an
> MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a 3800+ (single core) and an MSI Neo4 Platinum
> with an X2 4400+. Both boards have been reliable. I run my systems 24/7
> and I haven't experienced any problems or crashes. I'm using Fedora Core
> on both of them, 64 bit FC5 on the X2 4400+ and 32 bit FC5 on the 3800+
> system. I'm sure that ASUS or Tyan Nforce motherboards are probably just
> as reliable but I don't have any experience with either so I can't say for
> sure.

Your input is appreciated. thanks

Gojira
June 21st 06, 08:51 AM
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:
>
> > Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
> >
> > Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
> >
> > Welcome all opinions.
> >
> > TIA,
> > DaveP
>
> The AM2s will have some future upgrade potential, the 939s won't. Also you
> can put more RAM on an AM2, upto 8G, the 939s can only handle 4G. The RAM
> differences are due to DIMM limitations as opposed to board limitations.
> The biggest DDR DIMM is 1G, the biggest DDR2 DIMM is 2G.
>
> There won't be any performance differences between an AM2 and a 939.
> Except for the memory controller there are no differences between the 939
> and AM2 processors.
>
> Hold off your purchase for a month. Intel is introducing Conroe on July 24
> and AMD has scheduled big price decreases to coincide with Intel's
> introduction.

Any word on which models will be included in the price drops?I was going to
go with the AM2 platform,probably the 4400 or 4800,because of the upgrade
potential.

know code
June 21st 06, 09:14 AM
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> There is no reason not to stick with MSI. I have two MSI motherboards, an
> MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a 3800+ (single core) and an MSI Neo4 Platinum
> with an X2 4400+. Both boards have been reliable. I run my systems 24/7
> and I haven't experienced any problems or crashes.

I had an MSI K8N Neo Platinum (754-pin socket) with a 3700+ on it that
died suddenly with no warning. A google revealed that the exact same
fault has happened with a few others (when booting it gives a keyboard
error according to the LED panel thingy on the back as it never displays
anything on the screen and never continues past this). Certainly not a
reason to avoid MSI but do be aware there have been a few unexplained
failures on the MSI K8N Neo series motherboards. And of course it
failed about three weeks after the warranty period :(

Now running an Asus K8N based board (only one I could get in a rush)
with the 3700+ and don't really see any difference so couldn't really
say if it's any better or worse than the MSI.

General Schvantzkoph
June 21st 06, 11:46 AM
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:51:58 +0000, Gojira wrote:

> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:27:22 -0500, Dave P wrote:
>>
>> > Looking for the best motherboard for the 64 x2 4200+
>> >
>> > Would you all recommend the new socket AM2 over socket 939?
>> >
>> > Welcome all opinions.
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > DaveP
>>
>> The AM2s will have some future upgrade potential, the 939s won't. Also you
>> can put more RAM on an AM2, upto 8G, the 939s can only handle 4G. The RAM
>> differences are due to DIMM limitations as opposed to board limitations.
>> The biggest DDR DIMM is 1G, the biggest DDR2 DIMM is 2G.
>>
>> There won't be any performance differences between an AM2 and a 939.
>> Except for the memory controller there are no differences between the 939
>> and AM2 processors.
>>
>> Hold off your purchase for a month. Intel is introducing Conroe on July 24
>> and AMD has scheduled big price decreases to coincide with Intel's
>> introduction.
>>

> Any word on which models will be included in the price drops?I was going to
> go with the AM2 platform,probably the 4400 or 4800,because of the upgrade
> potential.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/10153

There was another story saying that AMD is going to kill the 1M cache A64
X2s and move all of the 1M cache production to Opterons.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32452

The 939 Opteron 1xx was just a rebranded 4400+ or 4800+. I don't know if
they are planning AM2 Opteron 1xxes, if they aren't then this is a very
good reason to switch to Conroes which are available with 4M caches.

Gojira
June 21st 06, 05:59 PM
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:51:58 +0000, Gojira wrote:

> >> The AM2s will have some future upgrade potential, the 939s won't. Also
you
> >> can put more RAM on an AM2, upto 8G, the 939s can only handle 4G. The
RAM
> >> differences are due to DIMM limitations as opposed to board
limitations.
> >> The biggest DDR DIMM is 1G, the biggest DDR2 DIMM is 2G.
> >>
> >> There won't be any performance differences between an AM2 and a 939.
> >> Except for the memory controller there are no differences between the
939
> >> and AM2 processors.
> >>
> >> Hold off your purchase for a month. Intel is introducing Conroe on July
24
> >> and AMD has scheduled big price decreases to coincide with Intel's
> >> introduction.
> >>

> > Any word on which models will be included in the price drops?I was going
> > go with the AM2 platform,probably the 4400 or 4800,because of the
upgrade
> > potential.
>
> http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/10153
>
> There was another story saying that AMD is going to kill the 1M cache A64
> X2s and move all of the 1M cache production to Opterons.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32452
>
> The 939 Opteron 1xx was just a rebranded 4400+ or 4800+. I don't know if
> they are planning AM2 Opteron 1xxes, if they aren't then this is a very
> good reason to switch to Conroes which are available with 4M caches.

If the $403 price for the 5000+ is accurate,I'll go with that,it's a big
drop.I haven't seen hard evidence that the Conroe can live up to the hype
yet,and AMD has shown the ability to match whatever Intel comes up with
before.

Kaoru Saotome
October 4th 06, 06:10 PM
Do you know that your nickname means General Dickhead (in german)? <s>

General Schvantzkoph
October 4th 06, 10:08 PM
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:10:42 +0000, Kaoru Saotome wrote:

> Do you know that your nickname means General Dickhead (in german)? <s>

Yes, and it's a flame proof handle. When you use a nom de web like
Schvantzkoph it's pretty much impossible for someone to insult you.

DP
October 5th 06, 02:37 AM
I don't know about the first part, but wouldn't German be "-kopf" ?

"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:10:42 +0000, Kaoru Saotome wrote:
>
>> Do you know that your nickname means General Dickhead (in german)? <s>
>
> Yes, and it's a flame proof handle. When you use a nom de web like
> Schvantzkoph it's pretty much impossible for someone to insult you.

General Schvantzkoph
October 5th 06, 03:59 AM
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:37:15 -0500, DP wrote:

> I don't know about the first part, but wouldn't German be "-kopf" ?

Actually it's Yiddish not German. And it turns out your right, it should
be spelled kopf. I've been using it for 5 years and no one has noticed
until now. I spelled it the way it sounded to me, turns out I was wrong
but I've established the name now so it's not going to change.

DP
October 5th 06, 04:10 AM
Do not know Yiddish and the only exposure I have to it is through books, TV
and movies.
Had never heard of "Schvantz." But I've heard of "putz" and "schmuck" All
pretty much meaning the same thing, right?
(And my German is from two years of it in college back in the previous
century.)

"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:37:15 -0500, DP wrote:
>

>> I don't know about the first part, but wouldn't German be "-kopf" ?
>
> Actually it's Yiddish not German. And it turns out your right, it should
> be spelled kopf. I've been using it for 5 years and no one has noticed
> until now. I spelled it the way it sounded to me, turns out I was wrong
> but I've established the name now so it's not going to change.

General Schvantzkoph
October 5th 06, 01:54 PM
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:10:50 -0500, DP wrote:

> Do not know Yiddish and the only exposure I have to it is through books, TV
> and movies.
> Had never heard of "Schvantz." But I've heard of "putz" and "schmuck" All
> pretty much meaning the same thing, right?
> (And my German is from two years of it in college back in the previous
> century.)
>

> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:37:15 -0500, DP wrote:
>>

>>> I don't know about the first part, but wouldn't German be "-kopf" ?
>>
>> Actually it's Yiddish not German. And it turns out your right, it should
>> be spelled kopf. I've been using it for 5 years and no one has noticed
>> until now. I spelled it the way it sounded to me, turns out I was wrong
>> but I've established the name now so it's not going to change.

This is getting pretty far off topic, this is a computer hardware group
not a human languages group. I think it's time to end this thread.

VanShania
October 5th 06, 11:04 PM
K8N Neo4 Platinum with 4 pci slots or K8N Diamond Plus
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Diamond_Plus&class=mb

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum&class=mb

For an AM2, Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Editon Although I would prefer
the ASUS M2N-E nForce570.
--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb Dual Channel OCZ
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XPMCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, SP:WAW