PDA

View Full Version : What are the proper Refresh Rates?

Pedro Sanchez
June 17th 06, 04:15 PM
My rates at @ factory defaults of 60Hz. Could this be one of the
reasons every website I visit seem to draw the screen from upper to
lower position. It's like a 56K connection and I have broadband.

My monitor is a 19" Proview 998/998A/998N(1239224727) a.k.a "Xflat"

What is a good frequency refresh rate for 1024X768??

================================================== ======================================
Sun Tzu, “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”
"Build a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, but set fire to that man and he will be warm forever!"
================================================== ======================================

John Russell
June 17th 06, 04:25 PM
"Pedro Sanchez" > wrote in message
> My rates at @ factory defaults of 60Hz. Could this be one of the
> reasons every website I visit seem to draw the screen from upper to
> lower position. It's like a 56K connection and I have broadband.
>
> My monitor is a 19" Proview 998/998A/998N(1239224727) a.k.a "Xflat"
>
> What is a good frequency refresh rate for 1024X768??

Even with low Refresh Rates you won't see the screen updating. The only time
you notice a poor Update Rate is when you are using the Standard VGA driver
instead of the Nvidia driver which exploits the 2d acceleration function of
the GPU.

Clint
June 17th 06, 04:37 PM
It's an LCD monitor. The refresh rates don't apply like they do for CRT
monitors.

Clint

"Pedro Sanchez" > wrote in message
> My rates at @ factory defaults of 60Hz. Could this be one of the
> reasons every website I visit seem to draw the screen from upper to
> lower position. It's like a 56K connection and I have broadband.
>
> My monitor is a 19" Proview 998/998A/998N(1239224727) a.k.a "Xflat"
>
> What is a good frequency refresh rate for 1024X768??
>
> ================================================== ======================================
> Sun Tzu, "If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies
> will float by."
> "Build a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, but set fire to
> that man and he will be warm forever!"
> ================================================== ======================================

Pedro Sanchez
June 17th 06, 09:00 PM
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:37:33 GMT, "Clint" > wrote:

>It's an LCD monitor. The refresh rates don't apply like they do for CRT
>monitors.

No this one is a CRT monitor I am asking about.

================================================== ======================================
Sun Tzu, “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”
"Build a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, but set fire to that man and he will be warm forever!"
================================================== ======================================

Clint
June 17th 06, 11:48 PM
My mistake. In that case, the general recommendation I've heard is above
75Hz. Higher is better, so long as your video card and monitor can handle
it. I run my Dell P991 19" monitor at 85Hz @ 1280x1024.

At 60Hz, you may notice some flickering, but I don't think it will change
what you're describing.

Clint

"Pedro Sanchez" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:37:33 GMT, "Clint" > wrote:
>
>>It's an LCD monitor. The refresh rates don't apply like they do for CRT
>>monitors.
>
> No this one is a CRT monitor I am asking about.
>

>>"Pedro Sanchez" > wrote in message
>>> My rates at @ factory defaults of 60Hz. Could this be one of the
>>> reasons every website I visit seem to draw the screen from upper to
>>> lower position. It's like a 56K connection and I have broadband.
>>>
>>> My monitor is a 19" Proview 998/998A/998N(1239224727) a.k.a "Xflat"
>>>
>>> What is a good frequency refresh rate for 1024X768??
>>>
>>> ================================================== ======================================
>>> Sun Tzu, "If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your
>>> enemies
>>> will float by."
>>> "Build a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, but set fire to
>>> that man and he will be warm forever!"
>>> ================================================== ======================================
>>

> ================================================== ======================================
> Sun Tzu, "If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies
> will float by."
> "Build a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, but set fire to
> that man and he will be warm forever!"
> ================================================== ======================================

Gank
June 18th 06, 05:15 AM
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:25:57 +0100, John Russell wrote:

> Even with low Refresh Rates you won't see the screen updating. The only time
> you notice a poor Update Rate is when you are using the Standard VGA driver
> instead of the Nvidia driver which exploits the 2d acceleration function of
> the GPU.

Yea, like John said. You don't have your video drivers installed
correctly, or not installed at all. Then set it too 85hz in the video
properties after.

Geoff
June 20th 06, 10:14 AM
"Pedro Sanchez" > wrote in message
> My rates at @ factory defaults of 60Hz. Could this be one of the
> reasons every website I visit seem to draw the screen from upper to
> lower position. It's like a 56K connection and I have broadband.
>
> My monitor is a 19" Proview 998/998A/998N(1239224727) a.k.a "Xflat"
>
> What is a good frequency refresh rate for 1024X768??

60hz is too low, you want to b using 85hz or better with a CRT, tft's are
fine

also
upgrade your pc

Mxsmanic
June 20th 06, 03:44 PM
Pedro Sanchez writes:

> My rates at @ factory defaults of 60Hz. Could this be one of the
> reasons every website I visit seem to draw the screen from upper to
> lower position. It's like a 56K connection and I have broadband.

No.

> What is a good frequency refresh rate for 1024X768??

Use the lowest refresh rate supported by the video card and monitor
that does not produce any perceptible flicker for you. This will
allow the video card to run a bit cooler. There's no advantage to
refresh rates that are higher than you can perceive, but the threshold
for perception of flicker varies from one individual to another.

I keep my refresh rate at 60 Hz and that seems to be plenty for me in
all circumstances.

Mxsmanic
June 20th 06, 03:45 PM
Clint writes:

> It's an LCD monitor. The refresh rates don't apply like they do for CRT
> monitors.

Sure they do, although a refresh rate that is faster than the rate at
which the LCD elements can be changed won't be perceptible.

Bob Brown
June 20th 06, 05:03 PM
SORRY forgot to mention this is a CRT monitor, about 3 years old.
Sometimes sells under the name XFLAT.

thanks,

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:15:36 -0400, Pedro Sanchez
> wrote:

>My rates at @ factory defaults of 60Hz. Could this be one of the
>reasons every website I visit seem to draw the screen from upper to
>lower position. It's like a 56K connection and I have broadband.
>
>My monitor is a 19" Proview 998/998A/998N(1239224727) a.k.a "Xflat"
>
>What is a good frequency refresh rate for 1024X768??
>
>================================================== ======================================
>Sun Tzu, “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”
>"Build a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, but set fire to that man and he will be warm forever!"
>================================================== ======================================

John Russell
June 20th 06, 05:14 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Clint writes:
>
>> It's an LCD monitor. The refresh rates don't apply like they do for CRT
>> monitors.
>
> Sure they do, although a refresh rate that is faster than the rate at
> which the LCD elements can be changed won't be perceptible.

An LCD is stuck until you change it, doesn't need refreshing at all!

DRS
June 20th 06, 06:36 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message

> Clint writes:
>
>> It's an LCD monitor. The refresh rates don't apply like they do for
>> CRT monitors.
>
> Sure they do, although a refresh rate that is faster than the rate at
> which the LCD elements can be changed won't be perceptible.

From memory, an Anandtech article on LCD monitors a while back mentioned
that increasing the refresh rate on one monitor from 60Hz to 70Hz eliminated
motion blur during video playback. Don't ask me how it works though. I'm
still on CRT (what's motion blur?).

Mxsmanic
June 20th 06, 09:39 PM
John Russell writes:

> An LCD is stuck until you change it, doesn't need refreshing at all!

The LCD is changed each time a new raster is painted. If the refresh
rate is 60 Hz and the LCD can change in less than 16 milliseconds, you
can put 60 different images on the screen per second. If the refresh
rate is 30 Hz, you can put 30 images on the screen per second. So
refresh rates matter.

Mxsmanic
June 20th 06, 09:40 PM
DRS writes:

> From memory, an Anandtech article on LCD monitors a while back mentioned
> that increasing the refresh rate on one monitor from 60Hz to 70Hz eliminated
> motion blur during video playback. Don't ask me how it works though.

That could be an artifact of the video adapter and/or the monitor, not
an inherent characteristics of the LCD.

Mxsmanic
June 20th 06, 09:42 PM
Bob Brown writes:

> SORRY forgot to mention this is a CRT monitor, about 3 years old.
> Sometimes sells under the name XFLAT.

In that case, just set the refresh to the lowest rate that you're
comfortable with. Set the CRT to a completely white display (100%
white), and watch it out of the corner of your eye (which is more
sensitive to flicker), then adjust refresh to the lowest rate at which
flicker is not perceptible.

If it's a really old display/adapter, make sure that interlace is
turned off, too.

John Russell
June 21st 06, 09:52 AM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> John Russell writes:
>
>> An LCD is stuck until you change it, doesn't need refreshing at all!
>
> The LCD is changed each time a new raster is painted. If the refresh
> rate is 60 Hz and the LCD can change in less than 16 milliseconds, you
> can put 60 different images on the screen per second. If the refresh
> rate is 30 Hz, you can put 30 images on the screen per second. So
> refresh rates matter.

You may be able to change the Refresh Rate in the Control TAb, but I bet you
will find an LCD driven by DVI is stuck at 60hz - it's a standard kind of
thing!

Refresh Rate can control Update Rate if synched to Refresh Rate.

But even then an LCD doesn't need refreshing just to display a still image,
which a CRT does.