PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Armada 7770dmt..Please read inside..TIA

Kilroy
June 16th 06, 12:21 AM
I screwed up bigtime..I have a 7770dmt and I am familier with desktops
but laptops are new to me..
I booted and formatted an old 7770DMT laptop hard drive with a win98
startup disk in the floppy drive .And wasn't thinking.When it went to
"Do you want cd rom support" I clicked yes.Usually on a desktop you
pop in the cd and type D:/setup.exe and windows will load..Only thing
is.. I found out on this laptop you have to swap the floppy drive for
the cd drive.And when you do that it won't recognize the cd drive
because some of the files are still on the boot floppy needed to load
windows..I forgot to go into Bios and tell it to boot from "A' drive
and then "D" drive before I formatted it..Anyone know where I can get
a restore cd for this model..I looked on e-bay but no luck..
I have even tried to make a "Boot Cd" but no luck..The disk I made for
the drivers have the drivers for the cd drive on it...
Any ideas on how to fix this???
Any help will be appreciated.

jerome
June 18th 06, 09:26 PM
You just have to setup the BIOS to start from the CD.You need for that a
setup diskette which can be easily found as an image on the hp/compaq
site. After thet you can boot from the W98SE install CD, and go on!

Kilroy a écrit:
> I screwed up bigtime..I have a 7770dmt and I am familier with desktops
> but laptops are new to me..
> I booted and formatted an old 7770DMT laptop hard drive with a win98
> startup disk in the floppy drive .And wasn't thinking.When it went to
> "Do you want cd rom support" I clicked yes.Usually on a desktop you
> pop in the cd and type D:/setup.exe and windows will load..Only thing
> is.. I found out on this laptop you have to swap the floppy drive for
> the cd drive.And when you do that it won't recognize the cd drive
> because some of the files are still on the boot floppy needed to load
> windows..I forgot to go into Bios and tell it to boot from "A' drive
> and then "D" drive before I formatted it..Anyone know where I can get
> a restore cd for this model..I looked on e-bay but no luck..
> I have even tried to make a "Boot Cd" but no luck..The disk I made for
> the drivers have the drivers for the cd drive on it...
> Any ideas on how to fix this???
> Any help will be appreciated.

Kilroy
June 22nd 06, 01:58 AM
I have pushed every button on startup and I can't access BIOS...
Any ideas???????????????????????????
Hp site is usless because of the age of the laptop....
I tried their boot disk its worthless...I am about ready to turn this
sucker into a fishing weight..
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:26:01 +0000, jerome > wrote:

>You just have to setup the BIOS to start from the CD.You need for that a
>setup diskette which can be easily found as an image on the hp/compaq
>site. After thet you can boot from the W98SE install CD, and go on!
>
>Kilroy a écrit:
>> I screwed up bigtime..I have a 7770dmt and I am familier with desktops
>> but laptops are new to me..
>> I booted and formatted an old 7770DMT laptop hard drive with a win98
>> startup disk in the floppy drive .And wasn't thinking.When it went to
>> "Do you want cd rom support" I clicked yes.Usually on a desktop you
>> pop in the cd and type D:/setup.exe and windows will load..Only thing
>> is.. I found out on this laptop you have to swap the floppy drive for
>> the cd drive.And when you do that it won't recognize the cd drive
>> because some of the files are still on the boot floppy needed to load
>> windows..I forgot to go into Bios and tell it to boot from "A' drive
>> and then "D" drive before I formatted it..Anyone know where I can get
>> a restore cd for this model..I looked on e-bay but no luck..
>> I have even tried to make a "Boot Cd" but no luck..The disk I made for
>> the drivers have the drivers for the cd drive on it...
>> Any ideas on how to fix this???
>> Any help will be appreciated.

Earl F. Parrish
June 28th 06, 02:25 AM
<Kilroy> wrote in message ...
>I have pushed every button on startup and I can't access BIOS...
> Any ideas???????????????????????????
> Hp site is usless because of the age of the laptop....
> I tried their boot disk its worthless...I am about ready to turn this
> sucker into a fishing weight..
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:26:01 +0000, jerome > wrote:
>
>>You just have to setup the BIOS to start from the CD.You need for that a
>>setup diskette which can be easily found as an image on the hp/compaq
>>site. After thet you can boot from the W98SE install CD, and go on!
>>
>>Kilroy a écrit:
>>> I screwed up bigtime..I have a 7770dmt and I am familier with desktops
>>> but laptops are new to me..
>>> I booted and formatted an old 7770DMT laptop hard drive with a win98
>>> startup disk in the floppy drive .And wasn't thinking.When it went to
>>> "Do you want cd rom support" I clicked yes.Usually on a desktop you
>>> pop in the cd and type D:/setup.exe and windows will load..Only thing
>>> is.. I found out on this laptop you have to swap the floppy drive for
>>> the cd drive.And when you do that it won't recognize the cd drive
>>> because some of the files are still on the boot floppy needed to load
>>> windows..I forgot to go into Bios and tell it to boot from "A' drive
>>> and then "D" drive before I formatted it..Anyone know where I can get
>>> a restore cd for this model..I looked on e-bay but no luck..
>>> I have even tried to make a "Boot Cd" but no luck..The disk I made for
>>> the drivers have the drivers for the cd drive on it...
>>> Any ideas on how to fix this???
>>> Any help will be appreciated.

If you completely removed each partition from the hard drive, there is no
diagnostic partition containing the BIOS setup routine. You need to
download a BIOS setup file which can be run from a floppy disk. Install a
rudimentary operating system on the hard drive with CD ROM drivers copied to
the hard drive. You will need a Config.SYS and Autoexec.Bat to load the CD
drivers. You boot from the hard drive and run Setup from the CD to install
Windows. The other option is to get a copy of Windows 98 which is for
computers a previous qualifying version of Windows. They are bootable.

--
Earl F. Parrish