PDA

View Full Version : Re: RSX = 7800 Rumor Debunked!

Air Raid
June 13th 06, 08:59 PM
Blig Merk wrote:
> Not Swami wrote:
> > http://tinyurl.co.uk/sbsg
> >
> > "This has been officially debunked. Someone posted a scan of the *real*
> > article. It says that the RSX has many similarities to the G70 (or
> > whatever their new card is), but it's much faster than the G70."
> >
> > Posted by a mod/operator of teamxbox.com of all places.
> >
> > The thing is, if this was debunked months ago then why do the Xflops
> > keep harping on it?
>
> All the xflop fanbitches have are their self-made and self-propagated
> lies to keep them from slitting their wrists out of desperation, that
> is why. This is straight from Nvidia about the new dual-GPU 7950 GX2,
> which implies the RSX is more like it, although not exactly:
>
> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/50939.html
>
> Nvidia Beefs Up Highest-End Video Cards
>
> "Although the new 7950 may be using some of the same technology that
> powers the Nvidia graphics of Sony's next-generation gaming console
> PlayStation 3, the new high-end desktop graphics card is not the same
> technology as the PS3 graphics silicon, according to Burke.
>
> "This is a desktop GPU part, it's not part of what we're working on
> with Sony on PS3," he said.
>
> In addition to the twin GPUs running on one card, the 7950 GX2 also
> features 48 pixel pipes, 16 vertical shaders, more bandwidth and
> memory, and DVI support for widescreen flat panel displays and
> resolution as great as 2,560 x 1,600."
>
> http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q2/geforce-7950-gx2/7950-gx2.jpg

THAT SAYS NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT THE RSX IN PLAYSTATION3,
you DUMB TROL.

the 48 pixel pipes in the 7950 are the pixel shader units, not pixel
pipelines.

the 7950 configuration has:
16 vertex shader units
48 pixel shader units
32 pixel pipelines (rops)

double everything from a G70 or G71

but this says ZIP about the RSX.

RSX most likely has:
6 vertex shaders (instead of 8)
12 to 20 pixel shaders (instead of 24)
confirmed 8 pixel pipelines/rops (instead of 16)
confirmed 128-bit bus (instead of 256-bit bus)

this puts RSX closer to the budget GPU: G73, aka GeForce 7600 GT

to be clear, RSX is not EXACTLY a G73 - GeForce 7600 GT. the RSX is
something between a 7600 GT and 7800 GTX, but NOT as powerful as the
7800 GTX.

Chris F
June 13th 06, 10:03 PM
On 13 Jun 2006 12:59:42 -0700, "Air Raid" >
wrote:

>Blig Merk wrote:
>> Not Swami wrote:
>> > http://tinyurl.co.uk/sbsg
>> >
>> > "This has been officially debunked. Someone posted a scan of the *real*
>> > article. It says that the RSX has many similarities to the G70 (or
>> > whatever their new card is), but it's much faster than the G70."
>> >
>> > Posted by a mod/operator of teamxbox.com of all places.
>> >
>> > The thing is, if this was debunked months ago then why do the Xflops
>> > keep harping on it?
>>
>> All the xflop fanbitches have are their self-made and self-propagated
>> lies to keep them from slitting their wrists out of desperation, that
>> is why. This is straight from Nvidia about the new dual-GPU 7950 GX2,
>> which implies the RSX is more like it, although not exactly:

lol you dozy ****, merk. if it says anything at all it says the 7950
is nothing like the RSX.

(apologies for replying to the wrong post, but it had to be said and
the dozy **** is in my killfile)
--

gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk

Not Swami
June 14th 06, 03:37 AM
Air Raid hasath spokeneth theseth wordeths ofeth wisethdometh:

> but this says ZIP about the RSX.
>
> RSX most likely has:
> 6 vertex shaders (instead of 8)
Speculation

> 12 to 20 pixel shaders (instead of 24)
Speculation

> confirmed 8 pixel pipelines/rops (instead of 16)
This doesn't mean anything, PS2 had 16 pixel pipelines

> confirmed 128-bit bus (instead of 256-bit bus)
Not exactly, no.

> this puts RSX closer to the budget GPU: G73, aka GeForce 7600 GT
>
> to be clear, RSX is not EXACTLY a G73 - GeForce 7600 GT. the RSX is
> something between a 7600 GT and 7800 GTX, but NOT as powerful as the
> 7800 GTX.

You stil have it wrong. According to some developers at Beyond3D Sony
and Nvidia simply split the 256 bit bus into 2x 128 bit busses to give
the PS3 more flexibility. *One path goes to the Vram and the other back
to CELL. So stating that RSX only has 1x 128 bit bus is only a half
truth.

This breakup of the bandwidth also means CELL can aid RSX with
graphics. Just like the PS2's EE helped (did all the work) for the GS
chip. Except this time, the CELL has RSX to help out. In no way shape
or form with the Xbox360 be more powerful than the PS3.. well, except
for the Edram, and I'm not so sure that will even be much of an impact.
The 360 is already being forced to upconvert games to 720p.

--

Zackman
June 14th 06, 03:49 AM

> Hmmm, let's see. I can listen to Nvidia, who is a GPU designer and
> manufacturer, or I could listen to psycho-schizo fuzz-nut Cyg-anus

So in other words: Microsoft, as manufacturer of the Xbox 360, is a more
trusted source of information on the console than some bat**** Usenet loser
named Bligmerk? Thanks for clearing that up.

-Z-

Not Swami
June 14th 06, 03:55 AM
Blig Merk hasath spokeneth theseth wordeths ofeth wisethdometh:

> Hmmm, let's see. I can listen to Nvidia, who is a GPU designer and
> manufacturer, or I could listen to psycho-schizo fuzz-nut Cyg-anus
> that has about 20 different aliases, uses forum posts as references,
> often posting in one forum under one alias then quoting that forum
> post in another forum or newsgroup as being some kind of reference,
> that doesn't know his asshole from a hole in the ground but fancies
> himself to be some kind of graphics groupie, and can't make up his
> mind if he is NV55 one day or Radeon the next day, and seems to spend
> day after day, all day long doing this. Hmmm, not a hard choice at
> all. I will listen to Nvidia, not you, you ****ing ignorant piece of
> ****.
>
> The many psycho-schizo split personalities of Cyg-anus:
>
> CygnusX-1
> video-game dude
> Air Raid
> airraid1
> Air Raid Mach 2.5
> multi-core
> Radeon
> Radeon350
> NV50
> NV55
> R420
> R500
> R520
> Xenon
> MS Will Destroy Sony Computer Entertainment
>
> and probably half a dozen others

Wow, he has surpassed me.
But I mainly change names cause people like Swami stalk me

--

Not Swami
June 14th 06, 04:13 AM

> Blig Merk > spake thusly:
>
> > Hmmm, let's see. I can listen to Nvidia, who is a GPU designer and
> > manufacturer, or I could listen to psycho-schizo fuzz-nut Cyg-anus
>
> So in other words: Microsoft, as manufacturer of the Xbox 360, is a
> more trusted source of information on the console than some bat****
> Usenet loser named Bligmerk? Thanks for clearing that up.
>
> -Z-

Ha, MS tells more lies than I can count. While Sony may not be Miss
Goody Two Shoes aleast they didn't flat out lie about the PS2 like MS
lied about the Xbox.

MS: Xbox has a 350Mhz graphics chip

No, it was 233Mhz.

MS: The GPU of the Xbox can do 125M polygons.

No, it was 116 and they were vertices not polygons. That means about
39M polygons which was only half of what PS2 could do.

MS: Our games will look like this-> *insert pic of Raven demo*

No, the Raven demo was never achieved in any game for Xbox

MS: For the first time you will see toy story like graphics.

No, we never did.

MS: Our new console is 3x more powerful than the leading console.

Yes/No? Yes, it was atleast 3x more powerful than the PSX, and No it
was not 3X more powerful than the PS2.

Sony: For the first time you will see toy story quality animation.

Yes, this was achieved through procedural rendering with Jak and Daxter2

Sony: The PS2's GS can do 75 M polygons.

Yes, the GS could rasterize 75M and the EE could do 66M. This gave the
GS a 75M setup rate so it could never be feed too many polys by the EE.

Sony: Our games will look like this-> *insert any PS2 demo*

Yes, some games easily surpassed every single tech demo made by the PS2.
Silent Hill 3 > Old Man Demo
Tekken 5 > Tekken Demo
MGS2 > MGS2 demo
FFX > FF demo