PDA

View Full Version : When installing a replacement mobo, will I have to reinstall the O/S?

Doc
June 13th 06, 03:17 AM
Putting a replacement mobo in a Compaq Deskpro EN PIII WinXP Home,
theoretically identical to the original mobo, will I have to reinstall the
O/S? Not sure if there are identifiers in a particular mobo that the O/S
needs to "see".

Thanks.

Michael A. Covington
June 13th 06, 03:47 AM
"Doc" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Putting a replacement mobo in a Compaq Deskpro EN PIII WinXP Home,
> theoretically identical to the original mobo, will I have to reinstall the
> O/S? Not sure if there are identifiers in a particular mobo that the O/S
> needs to "see".

Probably not. If Windows complains, then do a repair installation, not a
complete reinstall.

Carey Frisch [MVP]
June 13th 06, 03:49 AM
Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------

"Doc" wrote:

| Putting a replacement mobo in a Compaq Deskpro EN PIII WinXP Home,
| theoretically identical to the original mobo, will I have to reinstall the
| O/S? Not sure if there are identifiers in a particular mobo that the O/S
| needs to "see".
|
| Thanks.

Ben Myers
June 13th 06, 04:51 AM
If you are installing a motherboard IDENTICAL to the one it is replacing, the
odds of Windows and billg complaining are almost nil. I've done a lot of
repairs of Dell computers, in particular, with motherboard swaps and not yet
encountered a problem.

If the processor speed and BIOS revision are the same between the two boards,
Windows does not see any difference. In practice with a Compaq or Dell or
Intel-made or IBM motherboard, the only difference between two boards at the
BIOS level is the motherboard serial number (Dell service tag) burned into the
BIOS. With a Compaq motherboard, the BIOS setup allows you to change the
motherboard serial number. With a Dell motherboard, you need to run a small
utility program to change the service tag. Once the serial numbers are
identical between old and new motherboards, who's to know the difference.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:17:26 GMT, "Doc" > wrote:

>Putting a replacement mobo in a Compaq Deskpro EN PIII WinXP Home,
>theoretically identical to the original mobo, will I have to reinstall the
>O/S? Not sure if there are identifiers in a particular mobo that the O/S
>needs to "see".
>
>Thanks.

Timothy Daniels
June 13th 06, 07:11 AM
"Ben Myers" wrote:
> [...] With a Dell motherboard, you need to run a small
> utility program to change the service tag.

How does one get that utility?

*TimDaniels*

Pen
June 13th 06, 02:39 PM
"Timothy Daniels"
> wrote in
message
. ..
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>> [...] With a Dell motherboard, you
>> need to run a small
>> utility program to change the service
>> tag.
>
> How does one get that utility?
>
> *TimDaniels*
In the group alt.sys.pc-clone.dell find
*change service tag -- notan ??? *
read the entire thread.

Doc
June 13th 06, 02:48 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
> and you have fed him for a lifetime. You will learn to fish

kony old boy! NNTP-Posting-Host: 74.129.166.247

Playing with your sockpuppets today?

Ben Myers
June 13th 06, 02:51 PM
asset.com at the Dell ftp site. Runs as a DOS command line program, with the
usual command line help... Ben Myers

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:11:15 -0700, "Timothy Daniels" >
wrote:

>"Ben Myers" wrote:
>> [...] With a Dell motherboard, you need to run a small
>> utility program to change the service tag.
>
> How does one get that utility?
>
>*TimDaniels*

Timothy Daniels
June 13th 06, 05:44 PM
"Doc" wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
>> and you have fed him for a lifetime. You will learn to fish
>
> kony old boy! NNTP-Posting-Host: 74.129.166.247
>
> Playing with your sockpuppets today?

<LOL> Old KoRny has keyboard diarhea. He can't control his
spewing and pontificating. He really NEEDS to get a life.

*TimDaniels*

June 13th 06, 07:41 PM
Doc wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
> > and you have fed him for a lifetime. You will learn to fish
>
> kony old boy! NNTP-Posting-Host: 74.129.166.247
>
> Playing with your sockpuppets today?

So this is why you still can't use a search engine as well as any 10
year old child?

June 13th 06, 07:42 PM
Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Doc" wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
> >> and you have fed him for a lifetime. You will learn to fish
> >
> > kony old boy! NNTP-Posting-Host: 74.129.166.247
> >
> > Playing with your sockpuppets today?
>
> <LOL> Old KoRny has keyboard diarhea. He can't control his
> spewing and pontificating. He really NEEDS to get a life.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Tim, I am shocked how much you think about feces. Change your shorts.

Doc
June 13th 06, 09:00 PM
Here's something for your condition.

http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=275

Timothy Daniels
June 14th 06, 01:09 AM
> wrote:
>
> Timothy Daniels wrote:

>> > kony old boy! NNTP-Posting-Host: 74.129.166.247
>> > Playing with your sockpuppets today?
>>
>> <LOL> Old KoRny has keyboard diarhea. He can't control his
>> spewing and pontificating. He really NEEDS to get a life.
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>
> Tim, I am shocked how much you think about feces. Change your shorts.

I can't. You, "kony", and your sockpuppets are chewing on them.
How sick that you have to use sockpuppets to do your net policing
and pontificating. How did you sneak out of the diahrea ward?

*TimDaniels*

kony
June 14th 06, 03:43 AM
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:09:53 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"

>> Timothy Daniels wrote:

>>> <LOL> Old KoRny has keyboard diarhea. He can't control his
>>> spewing and pontificating. He really NEEDS to get a life.
>>>
>>> *TimDaniels*
>>
>> Tim, I am shocked how much you think about feces. Change your shorts.
>

> I can't. You, "kony", and your sockpuppets are chewing on them.
> How sick that you have to use sockpuppets to do your net policing
> and pontificating. How did you sneak out of the diahrea ward?
>
>*TimDaniels*

Tim you have so many "issues" it's not even worth the time
to address them all.

Doc
June 14th 06, 03:59 AM
<snip and discard pointless blather>

And you're the assclown bitching about noise on Usenet?

Doc
June 14th 06, 03:19 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doc wrote:
> > Here's something for your condition.
> >
> > http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=275
>

> It seems fizzle crackle keep buzzz hum..
>
> There is a distinction *pop* crackle *pop* both
> 60-cycle hum upon every mizzle fwipple .
> blip blip blip, always, crackle fizzle buzzzzzzzz

Timothy Daniels
June 14th 06, 07:29 PM
> (a.k.a. "kony") wrote:
>
> Doc wrote:
>> Here's something for your condition.
>>
>> http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=275
>

> It seems you and Tim both can't keep your head out of your ...

Play on with your sock puppets, koRny. How pathetic
you are to pretend you're multiple people.

*TimDaniels*

kony
June 15th 06, 12:26 AM
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 02:59:18 GMT, "Doc"
> wrote:

><snip and discard pointless blather>
>
>And you're the assclown bitching about noise on Usenet?

As if this post of yours is somehow different?