PDA

View Full Version : overheated processor ruin motherboard?

Mac
June 11th 06, 04:12 PM
Hi all,
My daughter's cpu fan quit working and overheated her processor (athlon xp
1700+). I was wondering if I could test the chip in my motherboard, also a
socket A, or do I risk damaging my motherboard? It is unknown how long the
fan was not running but long enough to make the system reboot a few times.
I Googled for the answer but was unsuccessful.
Thanks,
-Mac

crashnquilt
June 14th 06, 03:32 PM
You need to determine if your mainboard will support the speed and
voltage of the CPU. Just because your board is a SOCKET A board does
not mean it will support the processor.

Ian O
June 17th 06, 01:56 AM
Mac wrote:
> Hi all,
> My daughter's cpu fan quit working and overheated her processor (athlon xp
> 1700+). I was wondering if I could test the chip in my motherboard, also a
> socket A, or do I risk damaging my motherboard? It is unknown how long the
> fan was not running but long enough to make the system reboot a few times.
> I Googled for the answer but was unsuccessful.
> Thanks,
> -Mac

I can tell you that I had a dead system once and I bought a new mobo
only to find it was actually the old CPU that had lunched. It didn't
harm the new mobo though. But that was my experience only and I can't
say hard and fast if it is possible for a damaged CPU to harm a
motherboard. However, I honestly don't think so.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0624-2, 15/06/2006
Tested on: 17/06/2006 01:56:20