PDA

View Full Version : 7950gtx extreme or 7900gtx xxx????


John
June 9th 06, 10:02 PM
Hi,

Like a lot of people out there who ordered the XFX 7900GTX XXX, i have
been waiting 2 months for my card to arrive. I placed orders with
several companies but none have been able to provide me with the card.
As a stop gap i purchased the XFX 7900GTX Extreme card and its OK but I
find it a bit sluggish with F.E.A.R running at 2560x1600. This morning I
received a parcel from novatech thinking great........at last my card
had arrived but no luck - they sent me a 7950GTX Extreme card instead.

My question is, is this card they sent me any better than the original
one I am waiting on (the XXX Edition) or should i just give up, and make
do with with 7900GTX extreme?

Cheers,

John.

BillL
June 9th 06, 10:23 PM
"John" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Hi,
>
> Like a lot of people out there who ordered the XFX 7900GTX XXX, i have
> been waiting 2 months for my card to arrive. I placed orders with several
> companies but none have been able to provide me with the card. As a stop
> gap i purchased the XFX 7900GTX Extreme card and its OK but I find it a
> bit sluggish with F.E.A.R running at 2560x1600. This morning I received a
> parcel from novatech thinking great........at last my card had arrived but
> no luck - they sent me a 7950GTX Extreme card instead.
>
> My question is, is this card they sent me any better than the original one
> I am waiting on (the XXX Edition) or should i just give up, and make do
> with with 7900GTX extreme?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John.

The 7950GTX is basiaclly an all-in one SLi card (2 x 7900 GTX's in effect I
think). Not sure how it compares with a single 7900GTX but it'll spank it
in SLi enabled games!

There are more details here: -

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2769

BillL

First of One
June 9th 06, 10:38 PM
Did you receive a 7900GTX "Extreme" or a 7950GX2. The latter is a dual-PCB
monster costing over $600.

The difference between the 7900GTX XXX and Extreme editions is just clock
speed - both are overclocked from nVidia's official specs, the XXX a bit
higher.

According to this article,
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
both cards may experience lockups because XFX's testing apparently doesn't
stress the cards hard enough, so the cards are released from the
manufacturer clocked higher than they should be.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"John" > wrote in message
. uk...
> find it a bit sluggish with F.E.A.R running at 2560x1600. This morning I
> received a parcel from novatech thinking great........at last my card had
> arrived but no luck - they sent me a 7950GTX Extreme card instead.
>
> My question is, is this card they sent me any better than the original one
> I am waiting on (the XXX Edition) or should i just give up, and make do
> with with 7900GTX extreme?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John.

John
June 9th 06, 11:13 PM
Hi BillL,

Cheers for that link - i think i'm gonna go ahead and open the little
beast up and give it a try. I had totally forgot about quad SLI and it
looks like it could be a possibility quite soon (need to sweeten the
wife up for some more cash ;o))

John.



BillL wrote:
> "John" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Like a lot of people out there who ordered the XFX 7900GTX XXX, i have
>> been waiting 2 months for my card to arrive. I placed orders with several
>> companies but none have been able to provide me with the card. As a stop
>> gap i purchased the XFX 7900GTX Extreme card and its OK but I find it a
>> bit sluggish with F.E.A.R running at 2560x1600. This morning I received a
>> parcel from novatech thinking great........at last my card had arrived but
>> no luck - they sent me a 7950GTX Extreme card instead.
>>
>> My question is, is this card they sent me any better than the original one
>> I am waiting on (the XXX Edition) or should i just give up, and make do
>> with with 7900GTX extreme?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John.
>
> The 7950GTX is basiaclly an all-in one SLi card (2 x 7900 GTX's in effect I
> think). Not sure how it compares with a single 7900GTX but it'll spank it
> in SLi enabled games!
>
> There are more details here: -
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2769
>
> BillL
>
>
>

John
June 10th 06, 03:15 PM
Hi,

I received a 7950GX2 Extreme but i already have a 7900GTX Extreme. I
just wondered whether i should send the 7950GX2 back and continue to
wait for the 7900gtx XXX or if the alternative card they sent me was
better so I should just keep it?

John.



First of One wrote:
> Did you receive a 7900GTX "Extreme" or a 7950GX2. The latter is a dual-PCB
> monster costing over $600.
>
> The difference between the 7900GTX XXX and Extreme editions is just clock
> speed - both are overclocked from nVidia's official specs, the XXX a bit
> higher.
>
> According to this article,
> http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
> both cards may experience lockups because XFX's testing apparently doesn't
> stress the cards hard enough, so the cards are released from the
> manufacturer clocked higher than they should be.
>

Scotter
June 10th 06, 06:01 PM
From the review/benchmarks I saw, the 7950GTX looked like the highest end
card in existence. It's like two 7900GTX's in one, if I remember right?
To me the choice would be a very easy one!
In other words, mail me your 7950GTX Extreme now! ;)

--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual Opteron 252s (2.6ghz)
4 gig Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM
XFX 7800 GTX 256 w/VGAsilencerV3
500 gig Hitachi SATA 300
160 gig Seagate SATA 150
Dual Dell 24" wide aspect LCDs
550W Antec power supply
X-Fi Platinum Soundblaster
-
"John" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Hi,
>
> I received a 7950GX2 Extreme but i already have a 7900GTX Extreme. I just
> wondered whether i should send the 7950GX2 back and continue to wait for
> the 7900gtx XXX or if the alternative card they sent me was better so I
> should just keep it?
>
> John.
>
>
>
> First of One wrote:
>> Did you receive a 7900GTX "Extreme" or a 7950GX2. The latter is a
>> dual-PCB monster costing over $600.
>>
>> The difference between the 7900GTX XXX and Extreme editions is just clock
>> speed - both are overclocked from nVidia's official specs, the XXX a bit
>> higher.
>>
>> According to this article,
>> http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
>> both cards may experience lockups because XFX's testing apparently
>> doesn't stress the cards hard enough, so the cards are released from the
>> manufacturer clocked higher than they should be.
>>

Scotter
June 10th 06, 06:03 PM
btw I meant 7950GX2 when I said 7950GTX.

-
"Scotter" > wrote in message
...
> From the review/benchmarks I saw, the 7950GTX looked like the highest end
> card in existence. It's like two 7900GTX's in one, if I remember right?
> To me the choice would be a very easy one!
> In other words, mail me your 7950GTX Extreme now! ;)
>
> --
> Scotter
> Tyan Thunder K8WE
> Dual Opteron 252s (2.6ghz)
> 4 gig Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM
> XFX 7800 GTX 256 w/VGAsilencerV3
> 500 gig Hitachi SATA 300
> 160 gig Seagate SATA 150
> Dual Dell 24" wide aspect LCDs
> 550W Antec power supply
> X-Fi Platinum Soundblaster
> -
> "John" > wrote in message
> .uk...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I received a 7950GX2 Extreme but i already have a 7900GTX Extreme. I just
>> wondered whether i should send the 7950GX2 back and continue to wait for
>> the 7900gtx XXX or if the alternative card they sent me was better so I
>> should just keep it?
>>
>> John.
>>
>>
>>
>> First of One wrote:
>>> Did you receive a 7900GTX "Extreme" or a 7950GX2. The latter is a
>>> dual-PCB monster costing over $600.
>>>
>>> The difference between the 7900GTX XXX and Extreme editions is just
>>> clock speed - both are overclocked from nVidia's official specs, the XXX
>>> a bit higher.
>>>
>>> According to this article,
>>> http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
>>> both cards may experience lockups because XFX's testing apparently
>>> doesn't stress the cards hard enough, so the cards are released from the
>>> manufacturer clocked higher than they should be.
>>>
>
>

First of One
June 10th 06, 11:23 PM
The 7950GX2 they sent you is waaaay better.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"John" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Hi,
>
> I received a 7950GX2 Extreme but i already have a 7900GTX Extreme. I just
> wondered whether i should send the 7950GX2 back and continue to wait for
> the 7900gtx XXX or if the alternative card they sent me was better so I
> should just keep it?
>
> John.

John
June 11th 06, 11:07 AM
Yeah, i've decided to keep the 7950GX2. I ran both through 3DMark 2006
and the 7950GX2 came out top (although not as good as I would have
thought?). F.E.A.R is still jumpy when I run it at max resolution but it
is playable.




First of One wrote:
> The 7950GX2 they sent you is waaaay better.
>

John Lewis
June 11th 06, 06:04 PM
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:07:16 GMT, John >
wrote:

>Yeah, i've decided to keep the 7950GX2. I ran both through 3DMark 2006
>and the 7950GX2 came out top (although not as good as I would have
>thought?). F.E.A.R is still jumpy when I run it at max resolution but it
>is playable.
>

Another one with too much cash addicted to bleeding-edge video-card
acquisitions under the guise of computer-gaming ? More power to your
wallet; keeps me very happy indeed for reasons other than gaming.
Don't forget to pre-order the latest DX10 video hardware, including
the required power-supply upgrades and refrigeration units. Better
start sweetening up the wife right now.

BTW, if you are through with your 7900GTX Extreme, you are welcome to
mail it to me instead of putting it in your next garage-sale :-)

John Lewis

>
>
>
>First of One wrote:
>> The 7950GX2 they sent you is waaaay better.
>>

Bill
June 11th 06, 08:18 PM
In article >,
says...
> Yeah, i've decided to keep the 7950GX2. I ran both through 3DMark 2006
> and the 7950GX2 came out top (although not as good as I would have
> thought?). F.E.A.R is still jumpy when I run it at max resolution but it
> is playable.
>
<snip>

I just wonder if installing more ram might not help that. Or maybe try
increasing/decreasing the latency of the buss < if you can do such a thing
on a PCI-E buss >. Or maybe increase/decrease the "max frames to render
ahead" setting under the NVidia Performance and Quality/Additional Direct 3D
settings.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

John
June 11th 06, 10:44 PM
Hi Bill,

thanks for the advice - i'll give it a try.

I had already thought about buying more memory but was kinda hoping the
system I had built would handle any game (maybe naive of me?).

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 FX-60
2GB Corsair TwinX Pro, DDR 3500LL
150 GB Western Digital Raptor X (running OS and games on)
7950GX2 Extreme Edition.

I play all my games at 2560x1600 (Dell 30" TFT) and they all look the
dogs ******** (half-life2, battlefield2, FarCry....) but then I play
F.E.A.R and it so bloody jumpy. I have noticed a big improvement over
the 7900GTX Extreme I had in but even then, I still expected game play
to be smooth considering the system. When I run the 3DMark2006, on the
first test it loads up I get about (average) 20 FPS and a jumpiness that
is so bad it hurts the eyes to watch! Does this seem right - has anyone
else used this benchmark and got decent score?

One thing though, I noticed that when I looked at the cards properties
in Windows, it reckons I got 512Mb video memory but on the benchmark
program it correctly identifies 1GB. Could I have a windows driver
problem maybe?

Regards,

John.



Bill wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>> Yeah, i've decided to keep the 7950GX2. I ran both through 3DMark 2006
>> and the 7950GX2 came out top (although not as good as I would have
>> thought?). F.E.A.R is still jumpy when I run it at max resolution but it
>> is playable.
>>
> <snip>
>
> I just wonder if installing more ram might not help that. Or maybe try
> increasing/decreasing the latency of the buss < if you can do such a thing
> on a PCI-E buss >. Or maybe increase/decrease the "max frames to render
> ahead" setting under the NVidia Performance and Quality/Additional Direct 3D
> settings.
>
> Bill
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

First of One
June 11th 06, 10:58 PM
"John" > wrote in message
.uk...
> I play all my games at 2560x1600 (Dell 30" TFT) and they all look the dogs
> ******** (half-life2, battlefield2, FarCry....) but then I play F.E.A.R
> and it so bloody jumpy. I have noticed a big improvement over the 7900GTX
> Extreme I had in but even then, I still expected game play to be smooth
> considering the system.

You are mistaken. F.E.A.R. was designed to challenge systems like yours. :-)
It does per-pixel calculations on everything, so the workload goes up
tremendously with increasing resolution. See:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2/page10.html

Be sure to turn off soft shadows for a good speed boost. Personally I find
F.E.A.R. distractingly unplayable, because it dynamically loads the map
during gameplay, causing frequent pauses.

> One thing though, I noticed that when I looked at the cards properties in
> Windows, it reckons I got 512Mb video memory but on the benchmark program
> it correctly identifies 1GB. Could I have a windows driver problem maybe?

The 7950GX2 is essentially two 7900GT cards sandwiched together with SLI
mode enabled. The way SLI works, the effective amount of video RAM is "only"
512 MB. The benefit, of course, is that you now have two chunks of RAM
feeding in parallel, doubling the memory bandwidth.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

John Lewis
June 12th 06, 04:25 AM
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:44:04 GMT, John >
wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>
>thanks for the advice - i'll give it a try.
>
>I had already thought about buying more memory but was kinda hoping the
>system I had built would handle any game (maybe naive of me?).
>
>Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
>AMD Athlon 64 X2 FX-60
>2GB Corsair TwinX Pro, DDR 3500LL
>150 GB Western Digital Raptor X (running OS and games on)
>7950GX2 Extreme Edition.
>

System memory is not the problem here.

>I play all my games at 2560x1600 (Dell 30" TFT) and they all look the
>dogs ******** (half-life2, battlefield2, FarCry....) but then I play
>F.E.A.R and it so bloody jumpy. I have noticed a big improvement over
>the 7900GTX Extreme I had in but even then, I still expected game play
>to be smooth considering the system. When I run the 3DMark2006, on the
>first test it loads up I get about (average) 20 FPS and a jumpiness that
>is so bad it hurts the eyes to watch! Does this seem right - has anyone
>else used this benchmark and got decent score?
>
>One thing though, I noticed that when I looked at the cards properties
>in Windows, it reckons I got 512Mb video memory but on the benchmark
>program it correctly identifies 1GB. Could I have a windows driver
>problem maybe?
>

Have you updated the A8N32-SLI BIOS to 1205 ? Required for
the 7950GX2, according to nVidia's on-line list of the required
motherboard BIOS updates for correct recognition of the
the on-card PCIe switch.

See:-

http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp


Hopefully you are also using the video driver that came with the
7950GX2 ?

John Lewis

Bill
June 12th 06, 07:52 AM
Apologies for piggy backing.

In article >, says...
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:44:04 GMT, John >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Bill,
> >
> >thanks for the advice - i'll give it a try.
> >
> >I had already thought about buying more memory but was kinda hoping the
> >system I had built would handle any game (maybe naive of me?).
> >
> >Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
> >AMD Athlon 64 X2 FX-60
> >2GB Corsair TwinX Pro, DDR 3500LL
> >150 GB Western Digital Raptor X (running OS and games on)
> >7950GX2 Extreme Edition.
> >
>
> System memory is not the problem here.

I hadn't seen where the OP had posted his specs before, but ya, that should
be plenty of memory.

>
> >I play all my games at 2560x1600 (Dell 30" TFT) and they all look the
> >dogs ******** (half-life2, battlefield2, FarCry....) but then I play
> >F.E.A.R and it so bloody jumpy. I have noticed a big improvement over
> >the 7900GTX Extreme I had in but even then, I still expected game play
> >to be smooth considering the system. When I run the 3DMark2006, on the
> >first test it loads up I get about (average) 20 FPS and a jumpiness that
> >is so bad it hurts the eyes to watch! Does this seem right - has anyone
> >else used this benchmark and got decent score?
> >
> >One thing though, I noticed that when I looked at the cards properties
> >in Windows, it reckons I got 512Mb video memory but on the benchmark
> >program it correctly identifies 1GB. Could I have a windows driver
> >problem maybe?
> >
>
> Have you updated the A8N32-SLI BIOS to 1205 ? Required for
> the 7950GX2, according to nVidia's on-line list of the required
> motherboard BIOS updates for correct recognition of the
> the on-card PCIe switch.
>
> See:-
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp
>
>
> Hopefully you are also using the video driver that came with the
> 7950GX2 ?
>
> John Lewis
>

Excellent suggestions. OTOH, maybe F.E.A.R. is just a ball buster at those
resolutions.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

John
June 12th 06, 08:30 PM
Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies - I need to update my Bios so maybe that will
make a little bit of difference. If not, guess i'll need to wait for
quad SLI drivers ;o)

John.



John Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:44:04 GMT, John >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> thanks for the advice - i'll give it a try.
>>
>> I had already thought about buying more memory but was kinda hoping the
>> system I had built would handle any game (maybe naive of me?).
>>
>> Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
>> AMD Athlon 64 X2 FX-60
>> 2GB Corsair TwinX Pro, DDR 3500LL
>> 150 GB Western Digital Raptor X (running OS and games on)
>> 7950GX2 Extreme Edition.
>>
>
> System memory is not the problem here.
>
>> I play all my games at 2560x1600 (Dell 30" TFT) and they all look the
>> dogs ******** (half-life2, battlefield2, FarCry....) but then I play
>> F.E.A.R and it so bloody jumpy. I have noticed a big improvement over
>> the 7900GTX Extreme I had in but even then, I still expected game play
>> to be smooth considering the system. When I run the 3DMark2006, on the
>> first test it loads up I get about (average) 20 FPS and a jumpiness that
>> is so bad it hurts the eyes to watch! Does this seem right - has anyone
>> else used this benchmark and got decent score?
>>
>> One thing though, I noticed that when I looked at the cards properties
>> in Windows, it reckons I got 512Mb video memory but on the benchmark
>> program it correctly identifies 1GB. Could I have a windows driver
>> problem maybe?
>>
>
> Have you updated the A8N32-SLI BIOS to 1205 ? Required for
> the 7950GX2, according to nVidia's on-line list of the required
> motherboard BIOS updates for correct recognition of the
> the on-card PCIe switch.
>
> See:-
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp
>
>
> Hopefully you are also using the video driver that came with the
> 7950GX2 ?
>
> John Lewis

First of One
June 13th 06, 01:16 AM
The existing drivers apparently "work" in Quad SLI. However, F.E.A.R. is the
only game to show an improvement, on the order of 20%. The other games fall
back to single-GPU mode, resulting in slower performance.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"John" > wrote in message
o.uk...
> Hi Guys,
>
> thanks for the replies - I need to update my Bios so maybe that will make
> a little bit of difference. If not, guess i'll need to wait for quad SLI
> drivers ;o)
>
> John.

Bob Doran
June 16th 06, 08:01 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> Another one with too much cash addicted to bleeding-edge video-card
> acquisitions under the guise of computer-gaming ? More power to your
> wallet; keeps me very happy indeed for reasons other than gaming.
> Don't forget to pre-order the latest DX10 video hardware, including
> the required power-supply upgrades and refrigeration units. Better
> start sweetening up the wife right now.
>
> BTW, if you are through with your 7900GTX Extreme, you are welcome to
> mail it to me instead of putting it in your next garage-sale :-)
>
> John Lewis
>
>>
>>
>>
>>First of One wrote:
>>> The 7950GX2 they sent you is waaaay better.
>>>
>

Is there any such state of being as "too much cash"?

I make great money, but I've never experienced "too much cash", especially
when in Vegas for a couple of days (at Spearmint Rhino)...

First of One
June 17th 06, 02:38 AM
Ha! They got a game for that, too - "Private Dancer", officially endorsed by
the Spearmint Rhino clubs. Find it in the bargain bins nowadays.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"Bob Doran" > wrote in message
t...
> Is there any such state of being as "too much cash"?
>
> I make great money, but I've never experienced "too much cash", especially
> when in Vegas for a couple of days (at Spearmint Rhino)...
>

Joe Vanderbilt
June 23rd 06, 09:03 PM
John wrote:

....
> One thing though, I noticed that when I looked at the cards properties
> in Windows, it reckons I got 512Mb video memory but on the benchmark
> program it correctly identifies 1GB. Could I have a windows driver
> problem maybe?

I know I'm a bit late getting to this thread, but since I just recently
purchased a 7950 GX2 myself....

Be sure in the Nvidia control panel you enable both GPUs and set the
SLI mode you want as the default setting for the drivers seems to be
single-GPU mode. I was a bit surprised when I installed mine and found
it to be only slightly faster than the X1900 XTX I already had.
Looking around in the control panel I soon discovered it was set to
single-GPU mode. Doh! After I enabled the other one and set the SLI
mode, it was -much- faster.