PDA

View Full Version : Deskpro EN boots itself (seemingly random)

Kalle Kaitala
June 7th 06, 07:25 AM
Working on one of these old boxes, setting it up for home use, came across
this weird problem. If I leave the power cord in, even with everything else
disconnected, the machine still manages to boot itself up more or less 15
minutes after shutdown. I'm guessing PSU or motherboard issue? Maybe a
faulty power switch? Any other ideas?

Also, can't get Windows 2000 Professional to power off, requires a press on
the power button. Help?

--
Basic IT support boffin, Kalle

Kalle Kaitala
June 7th 06, 07:30 AM
Whoops, looks like it's a Deskpro EP/SB Series, not EN. Sorry.

--
Basic IT support boffin, Kalle

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow
June 7th 06, 10:52 AM
"Kalle Kaitala" > wrote in news:_luhg.828
:

> Whoops, looks like it's a Deskpro EP/SB Series, not EN. Sorry.

You could give basic support a call :-)

Check the BIOS settings for wake-on-modem or wake-on-LAN settings
that might cause the reboot misbehaviour.

Re the shutdown problem: visit www.hp.com amd check for a more recent
BIOS image. Might be worth checking for driver updates whilst you're
there.

Ben Myers
June 7th 06, 01:38 PM
I doubt that (HPaq?) basic support would be any help for a computer this old.
Or they would demand payment to be no help at all.

Let me suggest a potential heating problem. Possibly the cooling fans are not
ventilating the system properly? ... Ben Myers

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 09:52:22 GMT, Frazer Jolly Goodfellow >
wrote:

>"Kalle Kaitala" > wrote in news:_luhg.828
:

>> Whoops, looks like it's a Deskpro EP/SB Series, not EN. Sorry.
>>

>You could give basic support a call :-)
>
>Check the BIOS settings for wake-on-modem or wake-on-LAN settings
>that might cause the reboot misbehaviour.
>
>Re the shutdown problem: visit www.hp.com amd check for a more recent
>BIOS image. Might be worth checking for driver updates whilst you're
>there.

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow
June 7th 06, 08:40 PM
Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in
:

> I doubt that (HPaq?) basic support would be any help for a
> computer this old. Or they would demand payment to be no help at
> all.

I was referring to the OP's sig: "Basic IT support boffin, Kalle"

> Let me suggest a potential heating problem. Possibly the
> cooling fans are not ventilating the system properly? ... Ben
> Myers

The problem is that of the system *restarting* itself sometime after
being shutdown.

Duhh.

Ben Myers
June 7th 06, 09:16 PM
You're right! Duhhhh! A probable power supply problem... Ben Myers

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:40:00 GMT, Frazer Jolly Goodfellow >
wrote:

>Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in
:

>> I doubt that (HPaq?) basic support would be any help for a
>> computer this old. Or they would demand payment to be no help at
>> all.
>
>I was referring to the OP's sig: "Basic IT support boffin, Kalle"
>
>> Let me suggest a potential heating problem. Possibly the
>> cooling fans are not ventilating the system properly? ... Ben
>> Myers
>
>The problem is that of the system *restarting* itself sometime after
>being shutdown.
>
>Duhh.

Kalle Kaitala
June 8th 06, 08:47 AM
Wasn't a power supply problem, tested it with a second one (luckily had an
identical spare sitting on the shelf), still did it.

And either I'm not really smart enough for it or the romPAQs I found don't
work, 'cause even though the bootup disk is recognized, it still throws a
"non-system disk" error. I tried to match the info as good as I could (686T2
family, currently installed date 07/24/98).

Thankfully the problem pretty much solved itself, since I now can't
reproduce the error anymore, and the machine will act as a printer server,
so an automatic reboot in case of shutdown is welcome, not a nuisance. :)

--
Small man trying to survive in a big scary world, full of dusty old
computers

Ben Myers
June 8th 06, 08:33 PM
If it's not the power supply, then the motherboard has developed a problem.

As far as ROMPAQs are concerned, the diskette containing the ROMPAQ needs to be
bootable (format a: /s under Win 95/98/ME, or FREEDOS). Apparently the ROMPAQ
you have does not make the floppy diskette bootable... Ben Myers