PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Asus to Gigabyte

Art
June 5th 06, 03:45 PM
I recently got a Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G (socket AM2 MicroATX) motherboard. I
used it to replace an Asus A7V. Everything hookup-wise went fine but when I
go to boot I get a Blue Screen of Death and it re-boots. I disabled the
reboot on this error to make sure it wasn't the power supply or RAM, it is
not.

Here's my question. Do I need to reinstall the OS (Windows XP Professional)
or will a repair work? Any advice is appreciated.

Art

Skipai Otter
June 5th 06, 04:22 PM
"Art" > wrote in message
news:VrXgg.133222$k%[email protected]
>I recently got a Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G (socket AM2 MicroATX) motherboard.
>I used it to replace an Asus A7V. Everything hookup-wise went fine but
>when I go to boot I get a Blue Screen of Death and it re-boots. I disabled
>the reboot on this error to make sure it wasn't the power supply or RAM, it
>is not.
>
> Here's my question. Do I need to reinstall the OS (Windows XP
> Professional) or will a repair work? Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Art

New motherboard = Clean Reinstallation of Windows. Seriously, it may have
different drivers even though it used the same chipset. It's based to have
a clean reinstall again so that it can sort itself out on the new hardware.

--
Skipai

Roger Hamlett
June 5th 06, 04:50 PM
"Art" > wrote in message
news:VrXgg.133222$k%[email protected]
>I recently got a Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G (socket AM2 MicroATX) motherboard.
>I used it to replace an Asus A7V. Everything hookup-wise went fine but
>when I go to boot I get a Blue Screen of Death and it re-boots. I
>disabled the reboot on this error to make sure it wasn't the power supply
>or RAM, it is not.
>
> Here's my question. Do I need to reinstall the OS (Windows XP
> Professional) or will a repair work? Any advice is appreciated.
Better to re-install.
You can use the 'sysprep' tool, to force a full hardware re-detect, but
with either this, or a repair, the system will need to be re-registered,
and some 'dross' may get left. The change is large enought to be 'beyond'
the allowable limits without re-registering, and though it is potentially
possible, cleaning a system up properly from this sort of change, is more
work than just re-installing. The easiest way to do it, is actually to
start with the old motherboard, and remove all the system specific
drivers, taking it 'back' to VGA operation, without AGP etc.. This can
then boot on the new board, and the new hardware can be detected and
drivers installed. relatively easy if you have the old board, but a 'pain'
when this has failed...
Unfortunately, Windows is not designed to allow this sort of upgrade
easily...

Best Wishes

Paul
June 5th 06, 05:21 PM
as per other posts a repair install will work, but a clean install is best

BigVoice
June 6th 06, 01:34 PM
I suggest you should uninstall all the drivers including the VGA card
before switch your motherboard.

I did this procedure and the migration ran smoothly.

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 16:22:12 +0100, "Skipai Otter"
> wrote:

>"Art" > wrote in message
>news:VrXgg.133222$k%[email protected]
>>I recently got a Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G (socket AM2 MicroATX) motherboard.
>>I used it to replace an Asus A7V. Everything hookup-wise went fine but
>>when I go to boot I get a Blue Screen of Death and it re-boots. I disabled
>>the reboot on this error to make sure it wasn't the power supply or RAM, it
>>is not.
>>
>> Here's my question. Do I need to reinstall the OS (Windows XP
>> Professional) or will a repair work? Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>> Art
>
>New motherboard = Clean Reinstallation of Windows. Seriously, it may have
>different drivers even though it used the same chipset. It's based to have
>a clean reinstall again so that it can sort itself out on the new hardware.

Wesley
June 7th 06, 02:03 AM
Yeah I believe better to install clean install...before I use Gigabyte 848
change to Gigabyte SiS and the blue screen....

So FORMAT C: and there u go...

Moritz Kuerten
June 7th 06, 08:09 PM
In article news:VrXgg.133222$k%[email protected], "Art"
> wrote:
>Do I need to reinstall the OS (Windows XP Professional)
>or will a repair work? Any advice is appreciated.
No, a repair instalation is enough. But it is better to deinstall all
device drivers while running the last time at the old environment.
Then shut down, mount the new mobo and do the repair install.
Without repair install, it is normal that Yoe get a blue screen.
Two years ago I moved from Dual-Celeron BX-Intel Chipset to a single
AMD Athlon 64 mobo with VIA chipset.
No problem with repair installation.
Moritz
--

Art
June 8th 06, 05:23 AM
"Art" > wrote in message
news:VrXgg.133222$k%[email protected]
>I recently got a Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G (socket AM2 MicroATX) motherboard.
>I used it to replace an Asus A7V. Everything hookup-wise went fine but
>when I go to boot I get a Blue Screen of Death and it re-boots. I disabled
>the reboot on this error to make sure it wasn't the power supply or RAM, it
>is not.
>
> Here's my question. Do I need to reinstall the OS (Windows XP
> Professional) or will a repair work? Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Art

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up doing a clean install.

Art