PDA

View Full Version : Changing CMOS battery on Compaq Presario CDS 520

Mark
June 1st 06, 12:49 AM
I have a 12-year-old Compaq Presario CDS 520 desktop machine that
(astonishingly) is still running after all these years - however, it's
recently become highly tempramental as to whether it wants to power up
or not, and I suspect the cause of this is that the CMOS battery needs
replacing.

The difficulty is that the battery is solidly fixed in place,
apparently soldered (or very firmly attached in some other way) to a
metal clamp that's in turn very firmly attached to the motherboard.
I've timidly pushed and pulled the battery and clamp this way and that,
but it seems there's no obvious way of removing it without causing
damage.

I've posted a photo of the motherboard, showing the way the battery is
attached, here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/157524362/

Is there any easy method of removing batteries that are attached in
this way? Or do I have to get the soldering iron out? All ideas
gratefully accepted...

El Bandito
June 1st 06, 01:36 AM
"Mark" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 12-year-old Compaq Presario CDS 520 desktop machine that
> (astonishingly) is still running after all these years - however, it's
> recently become highly tempramental as to whether it wants to power up
> or not, and I suspect the cause of this is that the CMOS battery needs
> replacing.

A defective battery will *not* prevent a computer to power up///

> The difficulty is that the battery is solidly fixed in place,
> apparently soldered (or very firmly attached in some other way) to a
> metal clamp that's in turn very firmly attached to the motherboard.
> I've timidly pushed and pulled the battery and clamp this way and that,
> but it seems there's no obvious way of removing it without causing
> damage.
>
> I've posted a photo of the motherboard, showing the way the battery is
> attached, here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/157524362/
>
> Is there any easy method of removing batteries that are attached in
> this way? Or do I have to get the soldering iron out? All ideas
> gratefully accepted...

metronid
June 1st 06, 04:31 AM
Uses a 4.5V external battery at J 11