PDA

View Full Version : Changing motherboard

Alex Moreau
June 1st 06, 12:18 AM
I'm about to change my motherboard but keep my existing CPU. It's a 4400+x2.
Will I be able to remove the CPU with the heatsink intact, or will I have to
remove the heatsink first and then the CPU? (maybe I should remove it and
clean and replace the thermal compound anyway?)

Thanks,
Alex

Carl
June 1st 06, 04:48 AM
You are correct, in that you will have to remove the heatsink and then the
cpu. You may as well take the opportunity to reapply thermal compound. On i
last pc I didn't as it was the same cpu and heatsink, but on this current pc
i did reapply thermal compound. Can't say as I noticed a difference either
way.

Alex Moreau
June 1st 06, 05:31 AM
"Carl" > wrote in message
> You are correct, in that you will have to remove the heatsink and then the
> cpu. You may as well take the opportunity to reapply thermal compound. On
> i last pc I didn't as it was the same cpu and heatsink, but on this
> current pc i did reapply thermal compound. Can't say as I noticed a
> difference either way.

Thanks, Carl. I ordered Arctic Clean & Arctic Silver with the hardware
anyway, so I might as well use it, see what all the fuss is about. Actually,
it was delivered today (to my P.O. Box), I just haven't had a chance to pick
it up.

Thanks!

Alex

Guest
June 1st 06, 10:02 PM
I always clean it and I like to vacuum the dust out of the fan/heatsink
also.

news:[email protected]