PDA

View Full Version : sound still come out of speakers when headphones are in

vipebear
May 29th 06, 09:38 AM
thats basically it...i just bought a laptop off of my friend...he had
never used headphones with it...it is a compaq r3240us...so whenever
i plug in headphones, the sound still comes out of the comp
speakers....im pretty good with computers and have messed with the
sound settings and everything and i cannot find out whats wrong...i
just put windows corporate edition on the comp, if you think that
might be a reason for it? any ideas?

Prophelactic
May 29th 06, 11:14 AM
"vipebear" > wrote in message
. ..
> thats basically it...i just bought a laptop off of my friend...he had
> never used headphones with it...it is a compaq r3240us...so whenever
> i plug in headphones, the sound still comes out of the comp
> speakers....im pretty good with computers and have messed with the
> sound settings and everything and i cannot find out whats wrong...i
> just put windows corporate edition on the comp, if you think that
> might be a reason for it? any ideas?

When you insert headphones do you get sound from the headphones and speaker
simultaneously? The internal speakers should cut out with headphones as the
socket has a switch which disconnects the speakers when headphones inserted.
Looks like there is a problem with the switch which is unusual.

Unless the socket you are using is a microphone socket?

vipebear
May 29th 06, 06:37 PM
yea, it must be a problem internally then, because its definately not
the microphone jack...and yes, the sound comes out of both at the
same time...one time the sound from the speakers cut out, but it was
very strange, because the sound on the computer was muted, but it
still came out of the headphones, and i could only adjust the sound
through windows media player or whatever program i was using, because
if i un-muted the main volume control, the sound came back out of the
speakers...but i havent even been able to get that to happen
again...im guessing then, that there is something wrong internally