PDA

View Full Version : If you were to rate motherboards....

Rich
May 24th 06, 08:35 AM
....say 6 brands from best to worse, what would the list look like? Not
individual boards, but overall brand ratings themselves. I've only
ever used Asus and Soyo boards but I'd be interested
in people's opinions.

Cal Vanize
May 24th 06, 01:44 PM
Rich wrote:
> ...say 6 brands from best to worse, what would the list look like? Not
> individual boards, but overall brand ratings themselves. I've only
> ever used Asus and Soyo boards but I'd be interested
> in people's opinions.

From a personal perspective with no particular reason (preference
rating)....

Asus (10)
MSI (8)
DFI (8)
Gigabyte (6)
Biostar (3)
Foxconn (3)

Brownz \(mobile\)
May 24th 06, 06:01 PM
Rich wrote:
> ...say 6 brands from best to worse, what would the list look like?
> Not individual boards, but overall brand ratings themselves. I've
> only ever used Asus and Soyo boards but I'd be interested
> in people's opinions.

From a reliability & stability POV.

1. Intel DPSD
2. Asustek
3. Fujitsu OEM
4. Foxconn
5. MSi
6. AOpen

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Wes Newell
May 24th 06, 07:27 PM
On Wed, 24 May 2006 00:35:01 -0700, Rich wrote:

> ...say 6 brands from best to worse, what would the list look like? Not
> individual boards, but overall brand ratings themselves. I've only
> ever used Asus and Soyo boards but I'd be interested
> in people's opinions.

They're all made from pretty much the same copper clad multilayer
material. Many are oem made by one of a few large volume PC board
manufacturers who may or may not have their own brand or several brand
boards. So bare in mind that my list has nothing to do with quality,
value, functionality, features, etc, but strictly name recognition. And
at best, it's only my opinion, as others would have there own. And any
opinion of this is pretty much worthless on deciding what brand to buy.

ECS (PC Chips)
Asus (ASRock)
Intel
MSI
Gigabyte
Abit

For value, I'd rate it this way.

ECS
PC Chips
ASRock
MSI
Chaintek
Biostar

VanShania
May 26th 06, 11:41 PM
1. MSI
2. Gigabyte
3. Asus
4. ECS
5. Abit
6. DFI

I've used 3 MSI boards without any problems. I put Gigabyte 2nd because
their drivers were a little out of whack and I critisized this MB hard, but
after loading the Raid drivers, this motherboard stabled out real nice using
nvidias IDE driver. I used one asus board without difficulty but I purchased
a A8N-SLI Deluxe board which was dead out of the box. Asus tech said it was
because my A64 3500+ was not recognized because it wasn't new enough. And
there the asus sits still on my desk. Due to a bad Thermaltake power supply
I didn't find this out untill my free exchange expired. I'm going to try
flashing the bios sometime and hope that fixes it
--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner

3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
Cpu -4405
3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

Games I'm Playing- Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV

"Rich" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ...say 6 brands from best to worse, what would the list look like? Not
> individual boards, but overall brand ratings themselves. I've only
> ever used Asus and Soyo boards but I'd be interested
> in people's opinions.

VanShania
May 26th 06, 11:58 PM
I would also say get a motherboard with at least 6 sata ports, 8 if you can,
since sata optical drives will hopefully become more abundant

--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner
Thermaltake LanFire Midtower(4X80mm fans),Antec 550 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
Viewsonic A91f 19in Moniter
2XSATA WD 320gb Raid Edition, PATA WD 120Gb HD
Pioneer 110D+Liteon 1693S Dual Layer burner

"VanShania" > wrote in message
> 1. MSI
> 2. Gigabyte
> 3. Asus
> 4. ECS
> 5. Abit
> 6. DFI
>
> I've used 3 MSI boards without any problems. I put Gigabyte 2nd because
> their drivers were a little out of whack and I critisized this MB hard,
> but after loading the Raid drivers, this motherboard stabled out real nice
> using nvidias IDE driver. I used one asus board without difficulty but I
> purchased a A8N-SLI Deluxe board which was dead out of the box. Asus tech
> said it was because my A64 3500+ was not recognized because it wasn't new
> enough. And there the asus sits still on my desk. Due to a bad Thermaltake
> power supply I didn't find this out untill my free exchange expired. I'm
> going to try flashing the bios sometime and hope that fixes it
> --
> Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
> MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner
> Thermaltake LanFire Midtower(4X80mm fans),Antec 550 Watt PSU
> Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
> 2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
> Viewsonic A91f 19in Moniter
> 2XSATA WD 320gb Raid Edition, PATA WD 120Gb HD
> Pioneer 110D Dual Layer burner
> Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
> Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
> Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
> Cheap computer speakers with Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones
>
> 3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
> Cpu -4405
> 3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024
>
> Games I'm Playing- Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
> Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
> Civ IV
>

> "Rich" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> ...say 6 brands from best to worse, what would the list look like? Not
>> individual boards, but overall brand ratings themselves. I've only
>> ever used Asus and Soyo boards but I'd be interested
>> in people's opinions.

Merrill P. L. Worthington
May 27th 06, 12:13 AM
VanShania wrote:

> I would also say get a motherboard with at least 6 sata ports, 8 if you can,
> since sata optical drives will hopefully become more abundant

What advantage would SATA optical drives provide other than easier
cabling? (once its cabled-in, its not a problem, right?)

Bill
May 27th 06, 01:19 AM
In article >, says...

> VanShania wrote:
>
> > I would also say get a motherboard with at least 6 sata ports, 8 if you can,
> > since sata optical drives will hopefully become more abundant
>
> What advantage would SATA optical drives provide other than easier
> cabling? (once its cabled-in, its not a problem, right?)

None.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

VanShania
May 28th 06, 06:01 AM
Well, thats like saying theres no difference between IDE 100/133 hard drives
and sata150/300 drives. But you get a huge boost in performance when you
have sata( even though the fastest sata hard drive only transfers at about
57mb/s(WD 400/500's)). Just have to make sure the optical drives have fast
access times. The Plextor PX-16SA is a sata optical drive but is rated
slower than the current 33mb\s optical drives because of this. But that will
change fast I hope.

--

"Bill" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
>>
>> VanShania wrote:
>>
>> > I would also say get a motherboard with at least 6 sata ports, 8 if you
>> > can,
>> > since sata optical drives will hopefully become more abundant
>>
>> What advantage would SATA optical drives provide other than easier
>> cabling? (once its cabled-in, its not a problem, right?)
>>

> None.
>
> Bill
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Merrill P. L. Worthington
May 28th 06, 07:19 AM
VanShania wrote:

> Well, thats like saying theres no difference between IDE 100/133 hard drives
> and sata150/300 drives. But you get a huge boost in performance when you
> have sata( even though the fastest sata hard drive only transfers at about
> 57mb/s(WD 400/500's)). Just have to make sure the optical drives have fast
> access times. The Plextor PX-16SA is a sata optical drive but is rated
> slower than the current 33mb\s optical drives because of this. But that will
> change fast I hope.

From a performance perspective, there is no difference between IDE
100/133 hard drives and SATA [anything] drives if everything else is equal.

Since optical drives are VERY slow in comparison, it makes no sense to
use SATA optical drives except for ease of cabling.

Bill
May 28th 06, 07:51 AM
In article >, says...
> Well, thats like saying theres no difference between IDE 100/133 hard drives
> and sata150/300 drives.

Aside from burst rates there isn't'

> But you get a huge boost in performance when you
> have sata( even though the fastest sata hard drive only transfers at about
> 57mb/s(WD 400/500's)).

The WD SATA Raptors are a bit higher than that, due to the 10,000 rpm disk
speed. But no, you don't get a huge boost when it comes to total throughput.

> Just have to make sure the optical drives have fast
> access times. The Plextor PX-16SA

( couldn't find that model, did you mean the Plextor PX-716 SA )

> is a sata optical drive but is rated
> slower than the current 33mb\s optical drives because of this. But that will
> change fast I hope.

The perfomance of the PX716-SA <sata> appears to be identical to the PX-716
A <atapi> according to Plextor. BTW, take a look at the new PX-760 SA.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=17069

High burst rates are nice if you're moving a few files smaller than the
buffers involved but when you're writing/reading gigabytes of data the
advantage goes away. You can only move data as fast as it can get under the
read/write heads.

You've reached the max rpm that you can spin a cd or dvd with out it
exploding from the centrifugal force unless you change the material they're
made of; gets expensive. Access times aren't going to diminish much for the
same reason; you can only move the heads so fast or they self destruct due
to their mass and the material their made of. That leaves increasing the
aureal density of the disk, enter Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Now I love the smaller/simpler cabling of sata and the fact you can put a
bunch more sata controllers on a motherboard than pata controllers, but the
price difference between the sata and pata drives, for the present, kinda
puts me off. Especially when the pata controllers aren't doing anything
anyway if your using sata hard drives. I also see a lot of complaints from
people having trouble with their sata dvds not working properly on some
chipsets.

Maybe in a couple of years, when sata II Blu-Ray dvd drives get down to
under a hundred dollars, it'll be worthwhile.

Bill

Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

VanShania
May 28th 06, 05:53 PM
Lets hope the PX-760 SA is faster than its IDE brother. The PX-760A IDE
version only has a transfer rate of 25mb/s and access times of 150ms, even
though it is rated Ultra ATA/66 standard.
--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner
Thermaltake LanFire Midtower(4X80mm fans),Antec 550 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
Viewsonic A91f 19in Moniter
2XSATA WD 320gb Raid Edition, PATA WD 120Gb HD
Pioneer 110D Dual Layer burner
Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Cheap computer speakers with Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones

3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
Cpu - 4405
3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

Games I'm Playing- IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV, Warhammer 40,000 Gold

"Bill" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
>> Well, thats like saying theres no difference between IDE 100/133 hard
>> drives
>> and sata150/300 drives.
>
> Aside from burst rates there isn't'
>
>> But you get a huge boost in performance when you
>> have sata( even though the fastest sata hard drive only transfers at
>> about
>> 57mb/s(WD 400/500's)).
>
> The WD SATA Raptors are a bit higher than that, due to the 10,000 rpm disk
> speed. But no, you don't get a huge boost when it comes to total
> throughput.
>
>> Just have to make sure the optical drives have fast
>> access times. The Plextor PX-16SA
>
> ( couldn't find that model, did you mean the Plextor PX-716 SA )
>
>> is a sata optical drive but is rated
>> slower than the current 33mb\s optical drives because of this. But that
>> will
>> change fast I hope.
>>

> The perfomance of the PX716-SA <sata> appears to be identical to the
> PX-716
> A <atapi> according to Plextor. BTW, take a look at the new PX-760 SA.
>
> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=17069
>
> High burst rates are nice if you're moving a few files smaller than the
> buffers involved but when you're writing/reading gigabytes of data the
> advantage goes away. You can only move data as fast as it can get under
> the
> read/write heads.
>
> You've reached the max rpm that you can spin a cd or dvd with out it
> exploding from the centrifugal force unless you change the material
> they're
> made of; gets expensive. Access times aren't going to diminish much for
> the
> same reason; you can only move the heads so fast or they self destruct due
> to their mass and the material their made of. That leaves increasing the
> aureal density of the disk, enter Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
>
> Now I love the smaller/simpler cabling of sata and the fact you can put a
> bunch more sata controllers on a motherboard than pata controllers, but
> the
> price difference between the sata and pata drives, for the present, kinda
> puts me off. Especially when the pata controllers aren't doing anything
> anyway if your using sata hard drives. I also see a lot of complaints from
> people having trouble with their sata dvds not working properly on some
> chipsets.
>
> Maybe in a couple of years, when sata II Blu-Ray dvd drives get down to
> under a hundred dollars, it'll be worthwhile.
>
> Bill

> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Merrill P. L. Worthington
May 28th 06, 08:23 PM
VanShania wrote:

> Lets hope the PX-760 SA is faster than its IDE brother. The PX-760A IDE
> version only has a transfer rate of 25mb/s and access times of 150ms, even
> though it is rated Ultra ATA/66 standard.

Its not rated at ATA/66, it just connects at that speed. Sorta like a
SATA II drive connecting at 300 MBs but it only reads at 60 MBs.

So if this drive was converted to operate with a SATA II conntection, do
you think its speed would be much different?

IMHO, the only benefit of Plextor drives is that most of them (I'm not
sure of the whole line) have bigger cache.

Bill
May 28th 06, 10:28 PM
In article >, says...

Apologies for the piggyback but vanshania's post didn't show up here.

> VanShania wrote:
>
> > Lets hope the PX-760 SA is faster than its IDE brother. The PX-760A IDE
> > version only has a transfer rate of 25mb/s and access times of 150ms, even
> > though it is rated Ultra ATA/66 standard.

The only difference between the two will be the connecting interface. If
your car will only do 100KPH then it's only going to do 100KPH even if your
driving on the Autobahn.

You have to look at how things work and disregard the marketing hype.

> Its not rated at ATA/66, it just connects at that speed. Sorta like a
> SATA II drive connecting at 300 MBs but it only reads at 60 MBs.
>
> So if this drive was converted to operate with a SATA II conntection, do
> you think its speed would be much different?
>
> IMHO, the only benefit of Plextor drives is that most of them (I'm not
> sure of the whole line) have bigger cache.

Well, they're supposedly better built. Supposedly. I have an old Plextor
Ultraplex <scsi2> that still works. I've had several cd drives bought around
the same period fail; Memorex and LG drives in particular. I also have some
other bought around the same period that are still working; Yamaha 426
<scsi2> and Lite-ons. Anecdotal evidence that's statisticaly insignificant.
FWIW. Shrug.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Bill
May 29th 06, 03:07 AM
In article >, says...
> you 2 can stick to ide then and I'll move on to sata. Also Plextor isn't the
> only one who will be making sata optical drives in the future. And newer
> technology is almost always faster, even though transfer rates may remain
> unchanged. Which is why sata hard drives provide a good performance boost
> over IDE, especially the big drives like the Western digital 400 and 500gb
> models. Even their 320 gigs were rated top of the class until the 400s came
> along. And then add raid 0( I will use 4 drives for this), you have a
> smoking system that is stable and reliable.

You let us know when you get those optical drives running in Raid 0.

<snip>

Okay, you go ahead and continue to drink the marketer's koolaid. Pay no
attention to the man behind the curtain.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Merrill P. L. Worthington
May 29th 06, 04:54 AM
VanShania wrote:

> you 2 can stick to ide then and I'll move on to sata. Also Plextor isn't the
> only one who will be making sata optical drives in the future. And newer
> technology is almost always faster, even though transfer rates may remain
> unchanged. Which is why sata hard drives provide a good performance boost
> over IDE, especially the big drives like the Western digital 400 and 500gb
> models. Even their 320 gigs were rated top of the class until the 400s came
> along. And then add raid 0( I will use 4 drives for this), you have a
> smoking system that is stable and reliable.

But that doesn't change the physics of spinning a DVD or CD. To get
better performance, the disk must spin faster. If the disk is forced to
spin faster than it is now, it will fly apart.

So how do you propose to improve performance with that barrier?

Wes Newell
May 29th 06, 07:05 AM
On Sun, 28 May 2006 22:54:35 -0500, Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:

> But that doesn't change the physics of spinning a DVD or CD. To get
> better performance, the disk must spin faster. If the disk is forced to
> spin faster than it is now, it will fly apart.
>
> So how do you propose to improve performance with that barrier?

I haven't followed whatever it is you're discussing, but the answer to
this question is simple. More heads.

Bill
May 29th 06, 08:56 AM
In article <[email protected]>,
says...
> On Sun, 28 May 2006 22:54:35 -0500, Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:
>
> > But that doesn't change the physics of spinning a DVD or CD. To get
> > better performance, the disk must spin faster. If the disk is forced to
> > spin faster than it is now, it will fly apart.
> >
> > So how do you propose to improve performance with that barrier?
>
> I haven't followed whatever it is you're discussing, but the answer to
> this question is simple. More heads.

Well, I've always been in favor of more head. But that usually costs more
money.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

VanShania
May 29th 06, 09:53 PM
Wow, you must be smokin something real bad if you can connect 2 optical
drives in raid 0. I just do hard drives myself.

--

"Bill" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
>> you 2 can stick to ide then and I'll move on to sata. Also Plextor isn't
>> the
>> only one who will be making sata optical drives in the future. And newer
>> technology is almost always faster, even though transfer rates may remain
>> unchanged. Which is why sata hard drives provide a good performance boost
>> over IDE, especially the big drives like the Western digital 400 and
>> 500gb
>> models. Even their 320 gigs were rated top of the class until the 400s
>> came
>> along. And then add raid 0( I will use 4 drives for this), you have a
>> smoking system that is stable and reliable.
>
> You let us know when you get those optical drives running in Raid 0.
>

> <snip>
>
> Okay, you go ahead and continue to drink the marketer's koolaid. Pay no
> attention to the man behind the curtain.
>
> Bill
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

VanShania
May 29th 06, 09:59 PM
your jokes suck just as bad as your advice

--

"Bill" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>,
> says...
>> On Sun, 28 May 2006 22:54:35 -0500, Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:
>>
>> > But that doesn't change the physics of spinning a DVD or CD. To get
>> > better performance, the disk must spin faster. If the disk is forced
>> > spin faster than it is now, it will fly apart.
>> >
>> > So how do you propose to improve performance with that barrier?
>>
>> I haven't followed whatever it is you're discussing, but the answer to
>> this question is simple. More heads.
>>

> Well, I've always been in favor of more head. But that usually costs more
> money.
>
> Bill
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

VanShania
May 29th 06, 10:10 PM
First off mr brighty pants, the problem with faster write speeds has more to
do with data being corrupted or inaccurate as speed increases. If you would
actually read the posts you put up instead of reading headlines and stealing
other peoples ideas, you wouldn't have wasted everyone's time here. Your
precious plextor that you raved about had more errors than the PX-716A
because of its 18X speed. Get a grip man.

--

"Merrill P. L. Worthington" > wrote in message

> VanShania wrote:
>
>> you 2 can stick to ide then and I'll move on to sata. Also Plextor isn't
>> the only one who will be making sata optical drives in the future. And
>> newer technology is almost always faster, even though transfer rates may
>> remain unchanged. Which is why sata hard drives provide a good
>> performance boost over IDE, especially the big drives like the Western
>> digital 400 and 500gb models. Even their 320 gigs were rated top of the
>> class until the 400s came along. And then add raid 0( I will use 4 drives
>> for this), you have a smoking system that is stable and reliable.
>
> But that doesn't change the physics of spinning a DVD or CD. To get
> better performance, the disk must spin faster. If the disk is forced to
> spin faster than it is now, it will fly apart.
>
> So how do you propose to improve performance with that barrier?

Merrill P. L. Worthington
May 30th 06, 02:03 AM
VanShania wrote:

> First off mr brighty pants, the problem with faster write speeds has more to
> do with data being corrupted or inaccurate as speed increases. If you would
> actually read the posts you put up instead of reading headlines and stealing
> other peoples ideas, you wouldn't have wasted everyone's time here. Your
> precious plextor that you raved about had more errors than the PX-716A
> because of its 18X speed. Get a grip man.

I don't have a Plextor. Don't know where you came up with THAT one.
But I think some common sense and study of materials engineering might
help you understand the problem.

I do suggest that you seek some help with that drug problem. It seems
to have altered you sense of reality.

Brownz \(mobile\)
May 30th 06, 05:54 PM
Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:
> VanShania wrote:
>
>> you 2 can stick to ide then and I'll move on to sata. Also Plextor
>> isn't the only one who will be making sata optical drives in the
>> future. And newer technology is almost always faster, even though
>> transfer rates may remain unchanged. Which is why sata hard drives
>> provide a good performance boost over IDE, especially the big drives
>> like the Western digital 400 and 500gb models. Even their 320 gigs
>> were rated top of the class until the 400s came along. And then add
>> raid 0( I will use 4 drives for this), you have a smoking system
>> that is stable and reliable.
>
> But that doesn't change the physics of spinning a DVD or CD. To get
> better performance, the disk must spin faster. If the disk is forced
> to spin faster than it is now, it will fly apart.
>
> So how do you propose to improve performance with that barrier?

Out of interest, we've done a fair bit of research into high performance
optical devices, and what happens when you reach the limits of the media.

http://www.rm.com/safety/Downloads/StructuralIntegrity.pdf

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Alex Moreau
June 1st 06, 06:07 AM
"Merrill P. L. Worthington" > wrote in message

> VanShania wrote:
>
>> I would also say get a motherboard with at least 6 sata ports, 8 if you
>> can, since sata optical drives will hopefully become more abundant
>
> What advantage would SATA optical drives provide other than easier
> cabling? (once its cabled-in, its not a problem, right?)

That's Exactly why I would buy one. The cabling. Of course, the price would
have to be within reason, but I'd be willing to pay extra for the cabling
alone.

Alex

Bill
June 1st 06, 08:18 AM
In article <[email protected]>, says...

> "Merrill P. L. Worthington" > wrote in message
> >
> > VanShania wrote:
> >
> >> I would also say get a motherboard with at least 6 sata ports, 8 if you
> >> can, since sata optical drives will hopefully become more abundant
> >
> > What advantage would SATA optical drives provide other than easier
> > cabling? (once its cabled-in, its not a problem, right?)
> >

> That's Exactly why I would buy one. The cabling. Of course, the price would
> have to be within reason, but I'd be willing to pay extra for the cabling
> alone.
>
> Alex

The cheapest IDE DL DVD burner at Newegg is around $36.00 USD. The cheapest
SATA DVD burner is around $105.00 USD. <cough> That bleeding edge gets
expensive. <cough> I'd put that $70.00 towards more ram or a faster cpu.
But that's just me.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Alex Moreau
June 1st 06, 06:44 PM
"Bill" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>,
> says...

>> > What advantage would SATA optical drives provide other than easier
>> > cabling? (once its cabled-in, its not a problem, right?)
>> >

>> That's Exactly why I would buy one. The cabling. Of course, the price
>> would
>> have to be within reason, but I'd be willing to pay extra for the cabling
>> alone.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> The cheapest IDE DL DVD burner at Newegg is around $36.00 USD. The
> cheapest
> SATA DVD burner is around $105.00 USD. <cough> That bleeding edge gets
> expensive. <cough> I'd put that $70.00 towards more ram or a faster cpu.
> But that's just me.
>
> Bill

The unspoken alternative is to wait until SATA optical pricing becomes
reasonable, which I can easily do.

Alex

> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Merrill P. L. Worthington
June 2nd 06, 12:29 AM
Alex Moreau wrote:

> The unspoken alternative is to wait until SATA optical pricing becomes
> reasonable, which I can easily do.
>
> Alex

And my question remains: Whawt advantages do SATA optical drives have
over IDE (OK, let's stick to round IDE cables)?