PDA

View Full Version : RAID Settings

Plumer
May 16th 06, 02:27 AM
I have a GA-8PE800-Ultra motherboard with onboard RAID. I currently have two
IDE 120 GIG hard drives, each set as Master Drive, one on each ribbon cable.
They are set to RAID 1, "mirror".
My question: Can I install another drive as a master on either cable and not
have it set to mirror? Can I make it a stand alone drive for additional
storage without have another drive on the slave side of the other cable?
I guess what I am asking.......can I mix RAID Settings making tow drives
mirror each other while having a third drive set as JBOD?

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Gary

John7
June 8th 06, 10:37 AM
"Plumer" > wrote in message
m...
> I have a GA-8PE800-Ultra motherboard with onboard RAID. I currently have
two
> IDE 120 GIG hard drives, each set as Master Drive, one on each ribbon
cable.
> They are set to RAID 1, "mirror".
> My question: Can I install another drive as a master on either cable and
not
> have it set to mirror? Can I make it a stand alone drive for additional
> storage without have another drive on the slave side of the other cable?
> I guess what I am asking.......can I mix RAID Settings making tow drives
> mirror each other while having a third drive set as JBOD?
>
> Thanks for any help you can send my way.
>
> Gary

I cannot not speak in general but many/most RAID controllers will not accept
separate drives for standalone use when an array has been established.
They expect drives to be part of an array or as spare disk (as automatic
rebuild disk in case of RAID disk failure).

John7