PDA

View Full Version : MSI Neo 4 Platinum and SATA...

Guest
May 16th 06, 03:06 AM
Anyone know why I cannot get the Silicon SATA controller to work as just an SATA controller without RAID? I just want to use it to add another 4 hard drives, bun in this case a 5th SATA.

VanShania
May 28th 06, 06:14 PM
Time to phone MSI tech help. Lets us know if they helped you

--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner

3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
Cpu - 4405
3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

Games I'm Playing- IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV, Warhammer 40,000 Gold
"Guest" > wrote in message
. com...
Anyone know why I cannot get the Silicon SATA controller to work as just an
SATA controller without RAID? I just want to use it to add another 4 hard
drives, bun in this case a 5th SATA.

General Schvantzkoph
May 28th 06, 06:45 PM
On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:06:38 +0000, Guest wrote:

> Anyone know why I cannot get the Silicon SATA controller to work as just an SATA controller without RAID? I just want to use it to add another 4 hard drives, bun in this case a 5th SATA.<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Anyone know why I cannot get the Silicon SATA
> controller to work as just an SATA controller without RAID?&nbsp; I just want to
> use it to add another 4 hard drives, bun in this case a 5th
> SATA.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Three things,

1) Don't post in HTML. Newsgroup posts should always be in plain text.

2) What operating system are you using? Nobody can help you without this
fundamental piece of information. If you are using Windoze have you
bothered to install the appropriate drivers? If you are using Linux, which
distro and which kernel are you using?

3) What are you BIOS settings? The BIOS on the MSI board allows you do
enable and disable various features of the RAID controllers on the board.

Guest
June 1st 06, 11:46 PM
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:06:38 +0000, Guest wrote:
>
>> Anyone know why I cannot get the Silicon SATA controller to work as just
>> an SATA controller without RAID? I just want to use it to add another 4
>> hard drives, bun in this case a 5th SATA.<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
>> "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>> <HTML><HEAD>
>> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
>> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR>
>> <STYLE></STYLE>
>> </HEAD>
>> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
>> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Anyone know why I cannot get the Silicon
>> SATA
>> controller to work as just an SATA controller without RAID?&nbsp; I just
>> want to
>> use it to add another 4 hard drives, bun in this case a 5th
>> SATA.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>

> Three things,
>
> 1) Don't post in HTML. Newsgroup posts should always be in plain text.
>
> 2) What operating system are you using? Nobody can help you without this
> fundamental piece of information. If you are using Windoze have you
> bothered to install the appropriate drivers? If you are using Linux, which
> distro and which kernel are you using?
>
> 3) What are you BIOS settings? The BIOS on the MSI board allows you do
> enable and disable various features of the RAID controllers on the board.

I am using Xp, SP2 and the latest(1.C0) MSI Bios. I would really hate to
sell the left over drive.

General Schvantzkoph
June 2nd 06, 01:15 AM

>> 1) Don't post in HTML. Newsgroup posts should always be in plain text.
>>
>> 2) What operating system are you using? Nobody can help you without this
>> fundamental piece of information. If you are using Windoze have you
>> bothered to install the appropriate drivers? If you are using Linux, which
>> distro and which kernel are you using?
>>
>> 3) What are you BIOS settings? The BIOS on the MSI board allows you do
>> enable and disable various features of the RAID controllers on the board.
>>

> I am using Xp, SP2 and the latest(1.C0) MSI Bios. I would really hate to
> sell the left over drive.

Have you gone into the BIOS to see if you can configure the RAID
controller as JBOD? There might be another way to do it also, when booting
there is an opportunity to set up the RAID controller. I haven't tried it
because I'm not using it on my MSI K8N Neo4 but I suspect that you ought
to be able to configure it as JBOD at that time.

Also have you checked to see if there are any drivers available for XP?