PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions Needed

Pat in Atlanta
May 13th 06, 12:27 PM
I'm a senior citizen and paid a technician to install a new computer setup
for me. The display isn't as clear as it should be but he said yes, it's
fine. I asked him to change back to my old monitor which had been great but
now this, too, was fuzzy. He said it looked fine to him. He tells me I
should try to exchange the new monitor for another one if I can't live with
it but I figure that won't be right, either, that there's something wrong
with the computer since neither the new nor the old one looks right. What
do you think?

Ville Muikkula
May 13th 06, 01:07 PM
Pat in Atlanta > wrote:

> I'm a senior citizen and paid a technician to install a new computer
> setup for me. The display isn't as clear as it should be but he said
> yes, it's fine.

Is it a flat LCD display instead of a traditional, large and heavy CRT
display? If yes, then it might be possible that the computer has not been
correctly set up to send the image at the native resolution of the LCD
panel.

May 15th 06, 10:29 AM
It is not clear from what you write whether the new set up you mention
includes changng the monitor to a new one.

Please clarify the following:

What type of monitor do you now have? Is it a very thin one or is it a
heavy CRT based one?

Did you chenge monitors or not?

milsabords
May 20th 06, 10:05 PM
"Pat in Atlanta" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> I'm a senior citizen and paid a technician to install a new computer setup
> for me. The display isn't as clear as it should be but he said yes, it's
> fine. I asked him to change back to my old monitor which had been great
> but now this, too, was fuzzy. He said it looked fine to him. He tells me
> I should try to exchange the new monitor for another one if I can't live
> with it but I figure that won't be right, either, that there's something
> wrong with the computer since neither the new nor the old one looks right.
> What do you think?
If the new monitor is a flat LCD type, ask your technician to enable
Cleartype and to install and use the Cleartype tuning utility.

NoNoBadDog!
May 20th 06, 11:26 PM
"milsabords" > wrote in message

> "Pat in Atlanta" > a écrit dans le message de news:
>> I'm a senior citizen and paid a technician to install a new computer
>> setup for me. The display isn't as clear as it should be but he said
>> yes, it's fine. I asked him to change back to my old monitor which had
>> been great but now this, too, was fuzzy. He said it looked fine to him.
>> He tells me I should try to exchange the new monitor for another one if I
>> can't live with it but I figure that won't be right, either, that there's
>> something wrong with the computer since neither the new nor the old one
>> looks right. What do you think?
> If the new monitor is a flat LCD type, ask your technician to enable
> Cleartype and to install and use the Cleartype tuning utility.

In addition to the good advice offered by milsabords, have him to check that
the video card is set to the native resolution of the LCD monitor.

Bobby

Brian K
May 23rd 06, 12:37 AM
On Sat, 13 May 2006 07:27:56 -0400, Pat in Atlanta wrote:

> I'm a senior citizen and paid a technician to install a new computer setup
> for me. The display isn't as clear as it should be but he said yes, it's
> fine. I asked him to change back to my old monitor which had been great but
> now this, too, was fuzzy. He said it looked fine to him. He tells me I
> should try to exchange the new monitor for another one if I can't live with
> it but I figure that won't be right, either, that there's something wrong
> with the computer since neither the new nor the old one looks right. What
> do you think?

If you continue to have a problem, drop me a line, I post using my real
e-mail address. I do PC repair work in the Atlanta area, and I'd be more
than happy to swing by and take a look at your problem the next time I'm
in your area.

Brian K

roy
June 8th 06, 12:35 AM
Pat in Atlanta wrote:
> I'm a senior citizen and paid a technician to install a new computer setup
> for me. The display isn't as clear as it should be but he said yes, it's
> fine. I asked him to change back to my old monitor which had been great but
> now this, too, was fuzzy. He said it looked fine to him. He tells me I
> should try to exchange the new monitor for another one if I can't live with
> it but I figure that won't be right, either, that there's something wrong
> with the computer since neither the new nor the old one looks right. What
> do you think?

I had a boss once that needed LOWER resolution because that's what
looked best to him. It might look right to the tech and not you.

then again, he may not be all that great a tech.

ARE YOUR DESKTOP ICONS THE SAME SIZE THEY USED TO BE?

if icons are the same size, bets are the resolution has not changed.
if the icons are smaller, you now have a higher resolution setting,
which should be clearer to young eyes, but might be harder to see to
veteran orbs.

if you can start up the old system you can verify numbers between the
graphics card / monitor setup. otherwise you kind of need to know what
you used to have for comparison. so he can know where you WANT to end up.

plugging the old monitor into a new system will fix nothing if the
resolution the card is putting out is not what looks good to you. even
if they are compatable. it's the combination of the two.

hope that helps.

BC
July 4th 06, 10:27 PM
> plugging the old monitor into a new system will fix nothing if the
> resolution the card is putting out is not what looks good to you. even
> if they are compatable. it's the combination of the two.

Also, the screen refresh rate is important: some people can tell the
difference between 60hz and 85 hz, some can't....slow refresh rates
drive me nuts, can't look at it...other people don't even notice. I
think faster is better.

Lots of different adjustments the tech could have tried....contrast,
brightness, cleartype, etc...

HTH