PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte 8IGX and 3.06 P4 HT

May 7th 06, 03:47 AM
Hello,

I'm currently running a Gigabyte 8IGX motherboard with a Celeron 1.7G
processor. I always had the intention of upgrading to a faster
processor when I have more cash. I'm now looking at the P4-Northwood
3.06G (HT) processor which according to Gigabyte is supported
(http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_GA-8IGX.htm).

My question is does this motherboard really support this processor and
does Hyperthreading acually work (assuming I have an OS that is HT
aware) as there doesn't seem to be a BIOS update that would support
hyperthreading as there is with some other gigabyte motherboards
(http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8IHXP%20(Rev%202.1).htm).

A previous post to this group seems to indicate that this motherboard
doesn't support it, but maybe something has changed here
(http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte/browse_frm/thread/abba80f0ab1c440d/09fe17beae8ea592?lnk=st&q=3.06+8IGX&rnum=1&hl=en#09fe17beae8ea592_

Thanks
Glenn Goodwin

John7
June 8th 06, 10:54 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently running a Gigabyte 8IGX motherboard with a Celeron 1.7G
> processor. I always had the intention of upgrading to a faster
> processor when I have more cash. I'm now looking at the P4-Northwood
> 3.06G (HT) processor which according to Gigabyte is supported

(http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportLi
st_GA-8IGX.htm).

> My question is does this motherboard really support this processor and
> does Hyperthreading acually work (assuming I have an OS that is HT
> aware) as there doesn't seem to be a BIOS update that would support
> hyperthreading as there is with some other gigabyte motherboards

(http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8IHXP%20(Rev%2
02.1).htm).

> A previous post to this group seems to indicate that this motherboard
> doesn't support it, but maybe something has changed here

(http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte/brows
e_frm/thread/abba80f0ab1c440d/09fe17beae8ea592?lnk=st&q=3.06+8IGX&rnum=1&hl=
en#09fe17beae8ea592_

> Thanks
> Glenn Goodwin

Hi Glen,

Gigabyte will only state cpu compatiblity after succesfull extensive
testing.
Hyperthreading is cpu internal and should not depend on motherboards but on
Windows (support 2 cpu's).

The poster you referred to might not have known about the cpu compatibility
list.

On the other hand Northwood CPU are out of production so very hard to find.
Check if Prescotts are compatible, 3Ghz is still available (may require some
searching tho).
Prescott's consume a lot of power so check your power supply and cpu fan as
well.

John7