PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Conflicts in Deskpro EP

fcga1976
May 5th 06, 03:38 AM
Hello there. I have a Compaq Deskpro EP C466 (Celeron), Intel 810
Chipset and I installed a Voodoo 3 2000 card and a 3COM 3C905C-TX
NIC.

Using Win2000 it works fine, without trouble. But when I try to use a
Windows ME, I get a hardware conflict with the BIOS Plug and Play of
the computer. I've tried to install the drivers from the vendors
(both 3COM and 3DFx) and the conflicts still happen.

Is there a way to avoid this? The Windows ME doesn't allow me to
manually set the configuration and the BIOS has only a few settings,
not like the Award BIOS for example that allows me to set a lot of
things.

This is a big challenge...lol

Thanks.

Ben Myers
May 5th 06, 04:47 AM
the worst of the DOS-based Windows... Ben Myers

On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:38:26 GMT, (fcga1976) wrote:

>Hello there. I have a Compaq Deskpro EP C466 (Celeron), Intel 810
>Chipset and I installed a Voodoo 3 2000 card and a 3COM 3C905C-TX
>NIC.
>
>Using Win2000 it works fine, without trouble. But when I try to use a
>Windows ME, I get a hardware conflict with the BIOS Plug and Play of
>the computer. I've tried to install the drivers from the vendors
>(both 3COM and 3DFx) and the conflicts still happen.
>
>Is there a way to avoid this? The Windows ME doesn't allow me to
>manually set the configuration and the BIOS has only a few settings,
>not like the Award BIOS for example that allows me to set a lot of
>things.
>
>This is a big challenge...lol
>
>Thanks.

El Bandito
May 5th 06, 05:40 AM
Do yourself a favor, and ditch ME. Win98SE or Win2K will be far more stable
& reliable than ME.

--

(\_ _/)

"fcga1976" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello there. I have a Compaq Deskpro EP C466 (Celeron), Intel 810
> Chipset and I installed a Voodoo 3 2000 card and a 3COM 3C905C-TX
> NIC.
>
> Using Win2000 it works fine, without trouble. But when I try to use a
> Windows ME, I get a hardware conflict with the BIOS Plug and Play of
> the computer. I've tried to install the drivers from the vendors
> (both 3COM and 3DFx) and the conflicts still happen.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this? The Windows ME doesn't allow me to
> manually set the configuration and the BIOS has only a few settings,
> not like the Award BIOS for example that allows me to set a lot of
> things.
>
> This is a big challenge...lol
>
> Thanks.

HH
May 5th 06, 05:34 PM
"perhaps the worst of the DOS-based Windows" ??? No perhaps about it! WinMe
was simply awful.

HH

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
> perhaps
> the worst of the DOS-based Windows... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:38:26 GMT, (fcga1976) wrote:
>
>>Hello there. I have a Compaq Deskpro EP C466 (Celeron), Intel 810
>>Chipset and I installed a Voodoo 3 2000 card and a 3COM 3C905C-TX
>>NIC.
>>
>>Using Win2000 it works fine, without trouble. But when I try to use a
>>Windows ME, I get a hardware conflict with the BIOS Plug and Play of
>>the computer. I've tried to install the drivers from the vendors
>>(both 3COM and 3DFx) and the conflicts still happen.
>>
>>Is there a way to avoid this? The Windows ME doesn't allow me to
>>manually set the configuration and the BIOS has only a few settings,
>>not like the Award BIOS for example that allows me to set a lot of
>>things.
>>
>>This is a big challenge...lol
>>
>>Thanks.

Ben Myers
May 5th 06, 07:49 PM
OK, then. "worst of the DOS-based Windows, beyond a shadow of a doubt." Feel
better? :) ... Ben

On Fri, 5 May 2006 12:34:42 -0400, "HH" > wrote:

>"perhaps the worst of the DOS-based Windows" ??? No perhaps about it! WinMe
>was simply awful.
>
>HH
>

>"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
>> perhaps
>> the worst of the DOS-based Windows... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:38:26 GMT, (fcga1976) wrote:
>>
>>>Hello there. I have a Compaq Deskpro EP C466 (Celeron), Intel 810
>>>Chipset and I installed a Voodoo 3 2000 card and a 3COM 3C905C-TX
>>>NIC.
>>>
>>>Using Win2000 it works fine, without trouble. But when I try to use a
>>>Windows ME, I get a hardware conflict with the BIOS Plug and Play of
>>>the computer. I've tried to install the drivers from the vendors
>>>(both 3COM and 3DFx) and the conflicts still happen.
>>>
>>>Is there a way to avoid this? The Windows ME doesn't allow me to
>>>manually set the configuration and the BIOS has only a few settings,
>>>not like the Award BIOS for example that allows me to set a lot of
>>>things.
>>>
>>>This is a big challenge...lol
>>>
>>>Thanks.

fcga1976
May 6th 06, 01:32 AM
Thank you guys for the help. I said WinME because it's newer than
Win98SE. The intention is because I would like to play my old DOS
games and that's why I thougt on WinMe (sucks for sure).

Do you think that Win98SE will have less conflicts problems?

Thanks again.

El Bandito
May 6th 06, 02:22 AM
Some old DOS games won't run on ME (Tie Fighter comes to mind)

Do yourself a favor and run 98SE instead :)

--

(\_ _/)

"fcga1976" > wrote in message
m...
> Thank you guys for the help. I said WinME because it's newer than
> Win98SE. The intention is because I would like to play my old DOS
> games and that's why I thougt on WinMe (sucks for sure).
>
> Do you think that Win98SE will have less conflicts problems?
>
> Thanks again.

HH
May 6th 06, 08:31 AM
Yup.