PDA

View Full Version : GA-K8VM800M SATA boot drive not named C:\

May 2nd 06, 10:39 PM
I have a GA-K8VM800M MB with a 64 bit 3000+ processor and when I
installed the Sata drive( WD 250 Gig) as the boot drive I had problems
until I moved the IDE drive that was IDE0 Primary Master to Slave.
Then it acknowledged the SATA as the boot drive but named it as G:\
and the IDE slave as C:\. Strange as it may seem I'm not used to
seeing the boot drive as anything but C:\. How do I get this changed
back to the SATA as C:\? Oh yeah, in the BIOS I have the SATA as IDE
and not Raid. Does this have anything to do with it? If I install
another IDE ( or SATA ) drive can I install it as IDE0 Primary Master
without causing a conflict? (Naturally the SATA drive would be SATA2 )

Thanks in advance

Stephen
May 3rd 06, 03:50 PM
On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:39:20 -0500, had a flock of
green cheek conures squawk out:

>I have a GA-K8VM800M MB with a 64 bit 3000+ processor and when I
>installed the Sata drive( WD 250 Gig) as the boot drive I had problems
>until I moved the IDE drive that was IDE0 Primary Master to Slave.
>Then it acknowledged the SATA as the boot drive but named it as G:\
>and the IDE slave as C:\. Strange as it may seem I'm not used to
>seeing the boot drive as anything but C:\. How do I get this changed
>back to the SATA as C:\? Oh yeah, in the BIOS I have the SATA as IDE
>and not Raid. Does this have anything to do with it? If I install
>another IDE ( or SATA ) drive can I install it as IDE0 Primary Master
>without causing a conflict? (Naturally the SATA drive would be SATA2 )
>
>Thanks in advance

Disconnect the ide hard drive and only have the SATA drive you want as
C:. Then install Windows.

Windows won't allow you to change the drive letter of a boot drive.

Stephen
--

May 3rd 06, 07:20 PM
Do I really have to reinstall Windows or can I just boot up with the

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:50:18 GMT, Stephen > wrote:

>On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:39:20 -0500, had a flock of
>green cheek conures squawk out:
>
>>I have a GA-K8VM800M MB with a 64 bit 3000+ processor and when I
>>installed the Sata drive( WD 250 Gig) as the boot drive I had problems
>>until I moved the IDE drive that was IDE0 Primary Master to Slave.
>>Then it acknowledged the SATA as the boot drive but named it as G:\
>>and the IDE slave as C:\. Strange as it may seem I'm not used to
>>seeing the boot drive as anything but C:\. How do I get this changed
>>back to the SATA as C:\? Oh yeah, in the BIOS I have the SATA as IDE
>>and not Raid. Does this have anything to do with it? If I install
>>another IDE ( or SATA ) drive can I install it as IDE0 Primary Master
>>without causing a conflict? (Naturally the SATA drive would be SATA2 )
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>
>Disconnect the ide hard drive and only have the SATA drive you want as
>C:. Then install Windows.
>
>Windows won't allow you to change the drive letter of a boot drive.
>
>Stephen

old man
May 4th 06, 01:12 AM
No, you screwed up on the installation process, as a result your boot drive
is no longer C